Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Honest mistakes

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Var has existed for a couple of seasons now and there are still decisions that are clearly wrong.

We’ve had penalties given against us after the final whistle, goals ruled out for offside because they couldn’t see the last defender

In fact, there have been so many that I wanted to open this thread where we can continue to add the “honest mistakes” from the referees association.

I’ll start with not sending off Doucoure in the first half after at least 3 clear bookable offences

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The penalty after the final whistle was technically correct. No idea how the ref missed Maupay’s blatant hand ball initially. Full time is a stop in play so it is correct to go back to the incorrect decision.

However, the added time had expired even after adding on extra time for stoppages in extra so we can blame the ref for just letting United play on. Even letting them take the corner was well over time.

But I do agree with your general point. VAR has made the quality of referring worse, and VAR is still making its own errors and failing to overturn others.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
The penalty after the final whistle was technically correct. No idea how the ref missed Maupay’s blatant hand ball initially. Full time is a stop in play so it is correct to go back to the incorrect decision.

However, the added time had expired even after adding on extra time for stoppages in extra so we can blame the ref for just letting United play on. Even letting them take the corner was well over time.

But I do agree with your general point. VAR has made the quality of referring worse, and VAR is still making its own errors and failing to overturn others.

It has been poor (poorer this season than others?)

Effectively I was hoping for a thread whereby we can actually look at VAR decisions that have gone against us where the Refs association have actually confirmed a mistake was made

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
VAR should be canned. Not because it's not good tech or not a good idea, but because the f***ing clowns we have running it can't be trusted.
And that is the crux of it, the people running it are so inept that the system doesn't work as it should.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Leave it for goal line, offsides that are clearly off by the naked eye (not these shit lines from the wrong player) and violent conduct.
And clear errors, the penalties on both Welbeck and March (one was against Villa) had later been confirmed by the idiots that it was another "honest mistake"...

how many of these will we get this season?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The ref tonight bottled it big time with Doucore. You’d be excused for thinking he had some Palace bias

Let’s not blame VAR, the ref was weak or biased, take your pick.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Var has existed for a couple of seasons now and there are still decisions that are clearly wrong.

We’ve had penalties given against us after the final whistle, goals ruled out for offside because they couldn’t see the last defender

In fact, there have been so many that I wanted to open this thread where we can continue to add the “honest mistakes” from the referees association.

I’ll start with not sending off Doucoure in the first half after at least 3 clear bookable offences
The lack of a second yellow has nothing to do with VAR as they don’t get involved unless it should be a straight red.

Equally the penalty given after the final whistle is not an honest mistake, it’s allowed in the laws of the game.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
The lack of a second yellow has nothing to do with VAR as they don’t get involved unless it should be a straight red.

Equally the penalty given after the final whistle is not an honest mistake, it’s allowed in the laws of the game.
But there have been plenty this season, they've even admitted to a couple in recent games anyway.

And why shouldn't VAR correct a ref for not booking a player? It is a clear and obvious error and they should at the very minimum inform him that he look at the incident again

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
But there have been plenty this season, they've even admitted to a couple in recent games anyway.

And why shouldn't VAR correct a ref for not booking a player? It is a clear and obvious error and they should at the very minimum inform him that he look at the incident again
Because a booking isn’t in the remit of what VAR can do. It can check if a serious foul has happened and a red card needs to be given, it can check if a yellow needs to be upgraded to a red, but if no booking is given it cannot intervene except on issues of serious foul play as already mentioned.

Yes Decoure should have got a second yellow, possibly twice but it’s the fault of the ref not VAR this time.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Because a booking isn’t in the remit of what VAR can do. It can check if a serious foul has happened and a red card needs to be given, it can check if a yellow needs to be upgraded to a red, but if no booking is given it cannot intervene except on issues of serious foul play as already mentioned.

Yes Decoure should have got a second yellow, possibly twice but it’s the fault of the ref not VAR this time.

I don't disagree with your first paragraph but you end saying "it's the fault of the ref". That, to me, is a clear and obvious error (honest mistake?) and should be looked at again. This is what VAR should be about

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I don't disagree with your first paragraph but you end saying "it's the fault of the ref". That, to me, is a clear and obvious error (honest mistake?) and should be looked at again. This is what VAR should be about
But it isn’t in the remit of VAR, it only has a certain list of incidents it can be involved in, a miss yellow is not one of them so regardless of the clear and obvious error it cannot get involved.

You need to take clear and obvious out of the equation, that only comes into play once it is an incident that VAR can check.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
VAR cannot over rule a ref who shows bias can it? The ref was yet another shite ref for us, we seem to have more than our fair share of them. How Doucoure was not sent off beggars belief.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Funny how we drew level on points tonight….was he conscious of the outcome if we won???

De Zerbi got booked again such was his outrage at such an inconsistent ref, given what had gone before Caicedo’s booking
What about Paul Tierney on Saturday. He was biased for Leeds. Born in Manchester so should hate them. But Manchester United had a player called Paul Tierney and he never made it. So he was angry about his namesake. So when he referees Leeds he is always biased towards them out of spite.

P.S It was a sending off tonight. I wasn't sure what the ref's logic was there.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What about Paul Tierney on Saturday. He was biased for Leeds. Born in Manchester so should hate them. But Manchester United had a player called Paul Tierney and he never made it. So he was angry about his namesake. So when he referees Leeds he is always biased towards them out of spite.

P.S It was a sending off tonight. I wasn't sure what the ref's logic was there.
I know you think I have some sort of agenda against refs in football or rugby but the one tonight definitely bottled a sending off, for whatever reason.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know you think I have some sort of agenda against refs in football or rugby but the one tonight definitely bottled a sending off, for whatever reason.
He did.

As regards your bias, well the fact you like rugby (and cricket) is enough for me. I can cope with it. There aren't many on here I can have jolly conversations with about those two sports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here