Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homosexual abuse

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Being a straight Brighton fan as the majority are, do you get offended by my many away opposition fans constantly calling you gay in not very polite language and does it put you off going to games. Evidence would say no judging by attendances over the last 2 years. Are gay people put of supporting Albion by this issue ?

The term is homophobic abuse. If you have been homosexually abused this last season and still went to the games means you must love it.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Not sure why the OP needs so much grief for asking a fairly innocent question, but that's NSC I guess.

As a straight father-of-three I was subjected to some pretty unpleasant anti-gay stuff on Facebook yesterday from a Palace fan I've never met or heard of before. (It was on a thread started by a Palace-supporting friend.)

It was all pretty juvenile and crass but it did give me a bit of a jolt. If I was gay, I don't think I'd want to be subjected to that kind of stuff on a regular basis, but I imagine plenty of gay people are.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why would a straight person be offended unless they thought that there was something wrong with being gay?

I think the offence is likely to be caused to football loving gay men and women. Football & homosexuality aren't mutually exclusive.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Why would a straight person be offended unless they thought that there was something wrong with being gay?

I think the offence is likely to be caused to football loving gay men and women. Football & homosexuality aren't mutually exclusive.

Er ... you might as well say "why would a white person be offended by abuse of black people". Just because a particular form of hatred doesn't apply to YOU, doesn't mean you can't be offended by it. I have problems with racism, misogeny and cruel remarks to midgets. I'm a 6ft 4in white man.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Er ... you might as well say "why would a white person be offended by abuse of black people". Just because a particular form of hatred doesn't apply to YOU, doesn't mean you can't be offended by it. I have problems with racism, misogeny and cruel remarks to midgets. I'm a 6ft 4in white man.

Fair comment chap. I was taking it more from a "Do I take offense" angle, rather than "Do I think it is offensive."

To clarify, I find homophobic abuse offensive.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
I have never seen any gays at the football. They must sit near the away fans because they always notice them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Being a straight Brighton fan as the majority are, do you get offended by my many away opposition fans constantly calling you gay in not very polite language and does it put you off going to games. Evidence would say no judging by attendances over the last 2 years. Are gay people put of supporting Albion by this issue ?

No

Get a life

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I get offended when I DON'T get asked where my boyfriend is!

Seriously - no it's absolutely pathetic if anyone is offended and those that bleat on, whining about it are an embarrassment.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Forget the Albion, even if I just say I'm from Brighton, people always mention the gay capital line. Doesn't bother me, because, barring ancient Greece, geographical location of birth has little or no correlation to one's hankering for hampton.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Forget the Albion, even if I just say I'm from Brighton, people always mention the gay capital line. Doesn't bother me, because, barring ancient Greece, geographical location of birth has little or no correlation to one's hankering for hampton.
As i read earlier, its not that the indiginous population of Brighton has any higher a percentage of gay people than any other place, its just that a lot of gay people choose to live in Brighton cos its a nice place to live rather than Croydon for example.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
As i read earlier, its not that the indiginous population of Brighton has any higher a percentage of gay people than any other place, its just that a lot of gay people choose to live in Brighton cos its a nice place to live rather than Croydon for example.

bingo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here