Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Homophobic Chanting

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
down on your boyfriend was actually a cracking response to our going down with the palace chant . It did shut us up tbf

People really shouldn’t look to be offended for others .
Like clockwork, you're running in to defend the homophobes.

I've read a lot of shit on this board but when Blackpools Jake Daniels came out as gay, you wrote:
I’m just glad it wasn’t our club that’s first as the backlash would of been awful against the city .
...which says exactly everything about how you feel about homosexuality. Wasn't the first or last time from you.

Since it is blatantly obvious that you don't like homosexual people (or men at least), why trying to play like you are a neutral on the subject and just feel that "it is just banter" or "nothing to get offended by" or "a cracking response" to a anti-Palace chant.

I'm not mr Ultra Politically Correct and don't mind joking about race or sexuality or handicaps or whatever, I do it when and where it is appropriate. But to repeatedly express negative thoughts about eg homosexuality and then trying to pretend you have a neutral stance (giving you the opportunity to say that its nowt to care about)... don't you see how cowardly and ****ish it is?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not at all. It's literally exactly the same as "does your boyfriend know you're here" or "we can see you holding hands"

They know we're not all actually gay...
No, you really have been whooshed <sigh>

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Like clockwork, you're running in to defend the homophobes.

I've read a lot of shit on this board but when Blackpools Jake Daniels came out as gay, you wrote:

...which says exactly everything about how you feel about homosexuality. Wasn't the first or last time from you.

Since it is blatantly obvious that you don't like homosexual people (or men at least), why trying to play like you are a neutral on the subject and just feel that "it is just banter" or "nothing to get offended by" or "a cracking response" to a anti-Palace chant.

I'm not mr Ultra Politically Correct and don't mind joking about race or sexuality or handicaps or whatever, I do it when and where it is appropriate. But to repeatedly express negative thoughts about eg homosexuality and then trying to pretend you have a neutral stance (giving you the opportunity to say that its nowt to care about)... don't you see how cowardly and ****ish it is?
Well said.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
No, you really have been whooshed <sigh>

My interpretation is that you and Weststander were teasing Figgis and Spence by insinuating that they partake in homosexual activity, as if it's something they should be ashamed of. Exactly like the "does your boyfriend know you're here" and "we can see you holding hands" chants, except slightly worse.

Please explain how I've been "whooshed" here.

If anything, hopefully this demonstrates how fine the lines are, and how open to interpretation & context they are, as it seems to me as if YOU are the homophobes right now. Or if I were the OP describing, "f***ing scum".

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Sorry Jack. Opinions and all that, but I couldn't give a flying f*** about any homophobic abuse at me. Do I find it offensive? No not really. Think we are a little wet behind the ears and a bit sensitive. No different from us with, Dirty Northern bastards etc...
It’s nothing like that at all respectfully, couldn’t really care less about “does your boyfriend know your here” F***ing Gay C***” is an offensive insult. My best mate is gay, and some family, how is that meant to be acceptable to them. Imagine if I walked up to someone and called them a F***ing Black C***, I’d be arrested on the spot.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My interpretation is that you and Weststander were teasing Figgis and Spence by insinuating that they partake in homosexual activity, as if it's something they should be ashamed of. Exactly like the "does your boyfriend know you're here" and "we can see you holding hands" chants.

If anything, hopefully this demonstrates how fine the lines are, and how open to interpretation & context they are, as it seems to me as if YOU are the homophobes right now. Or as the OP would describe, "f***ing scum".
We were being ironic. Homophobia is their prejudice (allegedly), not ours.

The lines are not fine.

Apart from the one between disingenuity and genuine stupidity. That's very fine.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To be fair and to put into context:
We sung about Saville
We sung about them going down on their mother
We sung about them not having jobs

Who is the judge that says our chants are better than theirs?

Who is the arbiter of righteousness?
While not particularly nice, I don't think "mothers" and "champagne paedos" are historically oppressed groups. Jobless people perhaps, but that is an entirely different category. Being unemployed isn't quite something you're born into (you can get a job; you can not turn hetereosexual, you can not turn white). Being of a specific race or having a certain sexuality is a biological thing, which unavoidably becomes (in varying degree) a part of your identity. If people say that your shirt is ugly, it is not nice but if you start feeling bad about it, you can change your shirt. If people say your face is ugly, it will eventually cause you real issues if enough people say it often enough.

I've been unemployed often, repeatedly and sometimes for extended amounts of time but if some stranger bullied me about it, I would maybe be annoyed but it isn't really a part of me, so it can not reach my emotional core. Its not the same thing as bullying someone for being gay or black or similar (at least previously) oppressed minority.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
We were being ironic. Homophobia is their prejudice (allegedly), not ours.

The lines are not fine.

Apart from the one between disingenuity and genuine stupidity. That's very fine.

Oh, you were being ironic. That's OK then.

It's fine to mock someone by suggesting they partake in homosexual activity if it's "ironic"?

Either you're trying to justify your own behaviour without trying to sound like a hypocrite ... or the lines really aren't as defined as you are saying they are.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh, you were being ironic. That's OK then.

It's fine to mock someone by suggesting they partake in homosexual activity if it's "ironic"?

Either you're trying to justify your own behaviour without trying to sound like a hypocrite ... or the lines really aren't as defined as you are saying they are.
Christ.

Leave it alone, FFS. Have a read again tomorrow when the dust has settled.

For the record, I enjoy your threads.

Nighty night.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Anyone who is gay and thinking "I don't listen, I don't take any damage from that, I don't care"... congratulations to be that strong and secure. Maybe use a microgram of that strength and security to stand behind the nine out of ten who may not be as strong and secure.
Maybe actually be a Brighton fan one day having endured it at an away game up north then comment on it. Yeah?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My interpretation is that you and Weststander were teasing Figgis and Spence by insinuating that they partake in homosexual activity, as if it's something they should be ashamed of. Exactly like the "does your boyfriend know you're here" and "we can see you holding hands" chants, except slightly worse.

If anything, hopefully this demonstrates how fine the lines are, and how open to interpretation & context they are, as it seems to me as if YOU are the homophobes right now. Or if I were the OP describing, "f***ing scum".
You think me calling those being homophobic ‘f***ing scum’ really offensive. Obviously a generic flippant comment - as I would call racist chanting - why is it such an issue? How am I being made out to be the bad guy here by calling out illegal discrimination? Come on man you’re a good poster imo - I’m not being controversial in the SLIGHTEST I promise..! Shocked at the responses tbh 🙁

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone who is gay and thinking "I don't listen, I don't take any damage from that, I don't care"... congratulations to be that strong and secure. Maybe use a microgram of that strength and security to stand behind the nine out of ten who may not be as strong and secure.
Empathy is the best human trait we can have imo… ❤️

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And kindness. Too many people think kindness is being weak.
It’s exactly the opposite. It takes strength and courage to be kind.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

And kindness. Too many people think kindness is being weak.
It’s exactly the opposite. It takes strength and courage to be kind.

All good, sensible and uniting posts.
Thankfully it's just a relatively small number of fellow supporters/people who seem to enjoy punching down, or will happily turn a blind eye. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here