Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Homophobic Chanting

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
And what were those? One chant about Jimmy Savile in response to some nonsense by them? Apart from that there was absolutely nothing disgusting about what our away fans sang on Saturday
What about mutterings of chants about incest?

I wasnt at the game mind so I don't know if it happened or not

Saying those things are potentially hate crimes and the police should be involved.

Chanting "Does your boyfriend know you're here" and "we can see you holding hands", while crass and in poor taste, probably do not constitute hate crimes.

We live in promising times with how we are dealing with discrimination of minority groups... but it's surely still important that we remain grounded.
Spot on.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I agree with the spot on to a certain extent, the aforementioned chants are not good, and should be stamped out. Being called a gay C*** isn’t right and there’s a lot of context to the situation. I think we all here “does your boyfriend” at every game, but to be pointed at and called that as well as “ran away from an AIDS test” is not right at all. Nothing will get done though because the Police are bottle jobs. They heard it, they just can’t be bothered to deal with it. Yet they’ll arrest some lad on the concourse for having too much to drink, I’ve lost all respect for them forever.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree with the spot on to a certain extent, the aforementioned chants are not good, and should be stamped out. Being called a gay C*** isn’t right and there’s a lot of context to the situation. I think we all here “does your boyfriend” at every game, but to be pointed at and called that as well as “ran away from an AIDS test” is not right at all. Nothing will get done though because the Police are bottle jobs. They heard it, they just can’t be bothered to deal with it. Yet they’ll arrest some lad on the concourse for having too much to drink, I’ve lost all respect for them forever.
That’s whataboutery though, isn’t it. I know you love a good classroom analogy but it is very similar to a kid telling me others are talking when I tell them to stop. It’s a knee jerk response and I’m afraid doesn’t justify it and it still ends the same way.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
That’s whataboutery though, isn’t it. I know you love a good classroom analogy but it is very similar to a kid telling me others are talking when I tell them to stop. It’s a knee jerk response and I’m afraid doesn’t justify it and it still ends the same way.
Having a drink is not a crime, being called a “F*cking Gay C*nt” is. They took action on one, and didn’t on the other. It’s not knee jerk, it’s a completely incompetent organisation who bottled making an arrest. As for whataboutery you’ve spent half this thread saying we shouldn’t complain about Homophobic because someone gave a W*anker sign, and sung about that protected and marginalised group, celebrity pedofiles.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Having a drink is not a crime, being called a “F*cking Gay C*nt” is. They took action on one, and didn’t on the other. It’s not knee jerk, it’s a completely incompetent organisation who bottled making an arrest. As for whataboutery you’ve spent half this thread saying we shouldn’t complain about Homophobic because someone gave a W*anker sign, and sung about that protected and marginalised group, celebrity pedofiles.
Nope, I’ve spent half this thread pointing out the hypocrisy of the same people complaining about the Leeds chant but not condemning the Brighton ones. You are talking about different policeman in different parts of the country and are now claiming that people in Brighton are being arrested for ‘having a drink.’ Frankly it’s laughable.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Nope, I’ve spent half this thread pointing out the hypocrisy of the same people complaining about the Leeds chant but not condemning the Brighton ones. You are talking about different policeman in different parts of the country and are now claiming that people in Brighton are being arrested for ‘having a drink.’ Frankly it’s laughable.
The lad was being arrested on the Leeds concourse. I think I have a right to think they are useless, because in the situation where I was told the line which I've repeated many times, as well as had 'ran away from an AIDS test' sung at me and my friends, and they did nothing, but attempted to arrest my mate outside the ground for telling me to hurry up. Its a laughable organisation which have their priorities all over the shop. I think while people have been trying to point out genuine hate crimes have been committed with absolutely no action, you have belittled their point, because you seem to want an argument with anyone who questions any authority whatsoever.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Brighton fan mentioned was me. I contacted them as it's time direct abuse is stopped. The chanting is something hard to control from both sets of fans. But to be abused like that on leaving the ground by three people within 10 yards in front of police is plainly wrong. It's certainly not being woke.

I had to deal with a situation locally where someone nasty old man picked out my friends, a gay couple, in Tesco of all places. This was last Friday so perhaps I was a little sensitive about it on Saturday. One of those that abused me at Leeds was holding a young child's hand at the time. What sort of message is that?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The Brighton fan mentioned was me. I contacted them as it's time direct abuse is stopped. The chanting is something hard to control from both sets of fans. But to be abused like that on leaving the ground by three people within 10 yards in front of police is plainly wrong. It's certainly not being woke.

I had to deal with a situation locally where someone nasty old man picked out my friends, a gay couple, in Tesco of all places. This was last Friday so perhaps I was a little sensitive about it on Saturday. One of those that abused me at Leeds was holding a young child's hand at the time. What sort of message is that?
I believe you might have been the person who was also speaking to the officer in the middle of the road at the same time as me, if it was outside the ground behind the goal, glad you wrote in and brought it forward. Needs to be stopped, it was disgusting outside the ground.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I believe you might have been the person who was also speaking to the officer in the middle of the road at the same time as me, if it was outside the ground behind the goal, glad you wrote in and brought it forward. Needs to be stopped, it was disgusting outside the ground.
Probably was yes.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The lad was being arrested on the Leeds concourse. I think I have a right to think they are useless, because in the situation where I was told the line which I've repeated many times, as well as had 'ran away from an AIDS test' sung at me and my friends, and they did nothing, but attempted to arrest my mate outside the ground for telling me to hurry up. Its a laughable organisation which have their priorities all over the shop. I think while people have been trying to point out genuine hate crimes have been committed with absolutely no action, you have belittled their point, because you seem to want an argument with anyone who questions any authority whatsoever.
You can think whatever you like, yes. And equally I am able to point out what I think is hypocrisy. If you had a bad experience then report it. As to the last bit. It’s an internet message board. Someone disagreeing with you comes with the territory.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
You can think whatever you like, yes. And equally I am able to point out what I think is hypocrisy. If you had a bad experience then report it. As to the last bit. It’s an internet message board. Someone disagreeing with you comes with the territory.
I did report the incident, to a police officer there, did nothing. I submitted a complaint after the game, they say there is little they can do, so I think they have very little point.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Heard a very shitty chant from our side a couple of times last night. Not homophobic and not illegal. Just classless and nasty. If you find it funny to sing about having a party when someone dies, then you really need to take a long hard look at yourself. Imo.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I did report the incident, to a police officer there, did nothing. I submitted a complaint after the game, they say there is little they can do, so I think they have very little point.
Reporting police for failing to take action against homophobic abuse. to the police is never going to end well.

As we have seen from Hillsborough to Couzens the police will cover up for their own mistakes and misdemeanors. Over and over again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Heard a very shitty chant from our side a couple of times last night. Not homophobic and not illegal. Just classless and nasty. If you find it funny to sing about having a party when someone dies, then you really need to take a long hard look at yourself. Imo.
That one is particularly poor 😔

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Fair enough. At least you tried. You could take it to the Marching Out Together fans group. If enough evidence is collected then something may get done. The Brighton fans who sang abusive songs won’t have helped your cause though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree that song is an utter embarrassment.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Agree not a fan of that song at all, incredibly distasteful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here