Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia issues in football

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How many straight footballers do I KNOW about? None, as it is none of my business.

Fair enough, though it's often understood that 'straight' is a default setting, and therefore presumed, until informed otherwise.

Meanwhile, do you want to let us know your thoughts on why, if an individual's sexuality is, as you put it, none of your business, it's still an issue to some on a societal level? Genuinely curious.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It's a wider social issue, football is a part of that.

Certainly if your are stuck on a train with rowdy opposition away fans (especially two of our South London neighbours), the nasty chants and songs aimed at people perceived as different and aimed at offending are on a par with what I heard at the Goldstone in my youth that were aimed at black and foreign players, lets hope the landscape changes as much in the next 30-40 years, in that a) I would be shocked to hear racist chanting now and b) you would feel if reported now action would be taken.

Football is a national game and should be available to everyone and anyone who wants to be mad enough to join in.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Same issue as it is in society. I don't believe you will ever get to the same stage we are at where racism is wrong. There will always be a large percentage of men that won't get their heads round homosexuality , particularly feminine blokes will always be the target. It's the way society works with pack mentality. I think the very dynamic of some homosexuals and the way they are will always alienate themselves to a large percentage of straight blokes.

I think the very dynamic of some homosexuals and the way they are will always alienate themselves to a large percentage of straight blokes.
"Some"? So what?

We don't judge ALL rural residents on the grounds that most of them (or even some of them) vote Tory. Or Spanish waiters on the grounds that some of them flirt with women customers.

Or do we?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think there any specific question about homophobia in football, only as part of wider society. why is the question address to "professional football"? why is there a perceived issue in that area and not at other levels? i would suggest a possible reason for no "out" players is because there are no gay players (global averages do not automatically apply to sub-groups), from that i'd ask would that be because of the problems in the youth level and schools etc. i.e. society.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
"Some"? So what?

We don't judge ALL rural residents on the grounds that most of them (or even some of them) vote Tory. Or Spanish waiters on the grounds that some of them flirt with women customers.

Or do we?

Not me , not you but this is just a fact . Listen up in any work place , pub , male environment on feelings towards camp men . Not right but happens

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The amount of fans, especially 11-18 year olds, yesterday giving the whole "aids", "gay" stuff was higher than normal whilst walking to and from the ground. A worrying indicator of how these kids are raised.

I don't get offended by it because of simply being called gay, but the fact that these people actually think we would find it offensive riles me.

Reading fans in the stands were alright yesterday, only one or two of the typical unoriginal chants and a few limp wrist actions toward us. That may just have been because they were sat in silence for most of the game.

I think if a footballer came out he would become a cult hero. But who really wants to be remembered for their sexuality over their playing ability?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
male environment on feelings towards camp men Not right but happens

Is it actually wrong though. I wouldn't consider myself homophibic in any way, but I do find overtly camp men quite irritating in the same way I find people with a forced mockney accent irritating, or my neighbour's horrid badly spoken chavvy ramblings that I can hear over the fence which drives me round the bend.

Pepperpot's blog is very very good and does link to this, issues with masculinity exist regardless of sexual preference and it all just muddies the water in the homophobe debate.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Meanwhile, do you want to let us know your thoughts on why, if an individual's sexuality is, as you put it, none of your business, it's still an issue to some on a societal level? Genuinely curious.

Because you , and people like the woman from stonewall , who have non jobs to justify , choose to make it one?

What seems to be emerging from this discussion is that there are two quite separate issues ... the attitudes within the professional men's game towards gay footballers; and the collective behaviour of chanting crowds.

Chants aimed at Brighton fans are fundamentally about Brighton and its "reputation" and have nothing much to do with football itself.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd turn the question around - in "normal" jobs does sexuality come into it ? I work in many different clients offices and never does the question of sexual orientation come up. Why should it be any different in football ? Obviously there are people that are clearly gay and are happy to make it known but I don't get why me knowing anyone's sexuality has any bearing on how I interact with them. If anything organisations like Stonewall actually make the situation worse by making peoples sexuality an issue.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
An individual's sexuality is not my concern - but for some it is. But well done once again for wrongly telling me what I'm thinking.

What is my non-job BTW?

I'm not telling anyone 'what you're thinking' , but I doubt very much many people, in fact anyone will be going to the match this weekend with thoughts on the percentage of gay players or fans uppermost in their mind , but has or hasn't the woman from stonewall , or yourself , by starting this thread , chosen to make it an issue ? I was talking about the woman from stonewall when referring to non jobs.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'd turn the question around - in "normal" jobs does sexuality come into it ? I work in many different clients offices and never does the question of sexual orientation come up. Why should it be any different in football ? Obviously there are people that are clearly gay and are happy to make it known but I don't get why me knowing anyone's sexuality has any bearing on how I interact with them. If anything organisations like Stonewall actually make the situation worse by making peoples sexuality an issue.

Maybe not you but what someone does , is , character , sexuality absolutely has an influence on how one interacts with them . You may be exception to the rule but personalities always adapt within certain boundaries when talking to people with different backgrounds including sexuality. Sometimes by acting normal with them you are actually not acting normal at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here