[Other Sport] Homophobia alive & well down under

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the thing though. Prior to this group of players saying 'no' to wearing the rainbow shirts, had they actively shown that they were 'homophobic' ? Had there been any incidents of them giving homophobic abuse to anyone, on social media or whatever ? Not to my knowledge. So in those terms, what is wrong with their standards of behaviour ? They are just sportsmen, from different backgrounds, and perhaps they hold different beliefs and values to US. If they are just getting on with their jobs of booting a ball around a pitch (and weirdly, deliberately, off it) whilst gauging a few eyeballs and dropping the odd prop forward on his head without engaging in any kind of agenda against LGBT, then what right do we have to tell them "ok regardless of your own personal religeon / beliefs / culture, you must now wear this rainbow shirt to fall in line with OURS" ?

Is that how this is supposed to work then ?

Yes.

I am not a liberal. If people want to join my club they need to pass my tests.

If they'd rather go elsewhere, fine.

(I admit UK engagement with the world isn't 'my club' but I'll petition for what I think is right. Feel free to oppose....)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes.

I am not a liberal. If people want to join my club they need to pass my tests.

If they'd rather go elsewhere, fine.

(I admit UK engagement with the world isn't 'my club' but I'll petition for what I think is right. Feel free to oppose....)

Why should they have to go elsewhere when their employers are the ones who (without consultation) dropped this on them.

I compare it again with my own (dull little office) workspace. If senior management arbitrarily decided one day that I was now to start wearing a vivid rainbow colour tie to work to publically support their brand recognition of LGBT rights, would that be ok ?

Asking for a friend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why should they have to go elsewhere when their employers are the ones who (without consultation) dropped this on them.

I compare it again with my own (dull little office) workspace. If senior management arbitrarily decided one day that I was now to start wearing a vivid rainbow colour tie to work to publically support their brand recognition of LGBT rights, would that be ok ?

Asking for a friend.

If you're a public-facing operative then, yes. When I public face, my employer may give me a lanyard that may have some stuff on it. If it is some nice stuff that my employer or this nation is promoting (not satanism, party political, discriminatory, etc) then I'm in, balls deep.

But I do accept there is a judgement issue here. I accept that some people will argue that if they are homophobic then it is their right and to deny it is discriminatory. In my judgement, yah boo, bollocks, I don't care.

I did say I'm not a liberal :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALCm5Peie_8

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Would you like me to get it changed for you as you are clearly such a sensitive soul?

As Hotchilidog puts it so eloquently above "For me there are not two sides to this. You are either a homophobe or you are not. ".
I'm not going to ask; I think we already know.

thats your trouble ....you know very little. i honestly don't care , the word homophobe implies a fear of gays , that is certainly not the case , the gay community in Sydney is immense , fun loving and in some cases down right militant but they know how to take the piss out of themselves which is an integral part of not being so deadly , boring , serious about the issue which in turn polarises opinions , you are always going to get racism and homophobes , you are not going to stamp it out unfortunately.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you're a public-facing operative then, yes. When I public face, my employer may give me a lanyard that may have some stuff on it. If it is some nice stuff that my employer or this nation is promoting (not satanism, party political, discriminatory, etc) then I'm in, balls deep.

But I do accept there is a judgement issue here. I accept that some people will argue that if they are homophobic then it is their right and to deny it is discriminatory. In my judgement, yah boo, bollocks, I don't care.

I did say I'm not a liberal :wink:

I'm not homophobic. But I don't want to be made to walk around in rainbow colours.

I'm so confused.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not homophobic. But I don't want to be made to walk around in rainbow colours.

I'm so confused.

:lolol:

Do what you want. I do :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If they did a black and grey rainbow shirt like they do with the Albion badge or the Union flag sometimes, I’d consider that. As a 45 year old male I have no desire to get about in multi coloured rainbow colours, anymore than I’d wear a bright pink shirt for breast cancer awareness. That doesn’t mean I hate people with cancer just as not wearing a flag doesn’t mean I am homo or transphobic. It’s a personal preference thing, not an anti LGBTQA+ thing.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I once had a colleague say to me "people like you should have your throats cut or be driven into the sea. Flags can be quite divisive.

I’m not sure what to say to that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is a small rainbow on the shirt along with a large advertisment for a gambling company.

One is a permanent fixture on the shirt and is advertising an industry that sucks untold amounts of money from people's pockets and in some cases causes irreparable damage to families and communities.

The other is a symbol of love between some people.

And these fellas have the problem with the rainbow?

Something is wrong in the world.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
For me it’s the double standards. If someone also refused to play on the sabbath or wear a shirt with betting advert then I would have a grudging respect but this to me is more homophobic than about religion.
FWIW, My mother was a staunch Catholic but had absolutely no problems with people being gay and she thought it sad that people would discriminate against them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not religious but I have read the bible and I believe that Jesus would have shared the same opinion as your mother.

The boke was kind, accepting and compassionate he looked after the marginalised and maligned. How people who claim to be Christians behave in the opposite was is totally beyond me. Read the ****ing book people it's all in there . . . of course, others will interpret it differently to me but it is pretty bloody clear.

And when exactly are the meek going to inherit the earth . . . they don't seem to do that well at the moment.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I am not religious but I have read the bible and I believe that Jesus would have shared the same opinion as your mother.

The boke was kind, accepting and compassionate he looked after the marginalised and maligned. How people who claim to be Christians behave in the opposite was is totally beyond me. Read the ****ing book people it's all in there . . . of course, others will interpret it differently to me but it is pretty bloody clear.

And when exactly are the meek going to inherit the earth . . . they don't seem to do that well at the moment.

It also says man should not lie with another man does it not? That it's an abomination.

What if people are against anal sex and find that the disgusting aspect of it all?

Are they homophobes? Even if they apply it to men and women?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It also says man should not lie with another man does it not? That it's an abomination.

What if people are against anal sex and find that the disgusting aspect of it all?

Perhaps not all gay couples have anal sex, they may just be in love and show affection in other ways?

If anal sex is the reason, then shirley no issue with (most) lesbian couples?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Perhaps not all gay couples have anal sex, they may just be in love and show affection in other ways?

If anal sex is the reason, then shirley no issue with (most) lesbian couples?

That may be the case.

I've seen a program where conservative gays are dead against it. As such they can practise their religion unimpeded.

The issue here is it's been labelled as homophobia when it's not even stated which part of the rainbow or alphabet they may object too.

You can have no issues with a gay man but still think the rainbow coalition has a lot of weirdos among it you don't want to support.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That may be the case.

I've seen a program where conservative gays are dead against it. As such they can practise their religion unimpeded.

The issue here is it's been labelled as homophobia when it's not even stated which part of the rainbow or alphabet they may object too.

You can have no issues with a gay man but still think the rainbow coalition has a lot of weirdos among it you don't want to support.

There are “weirdos” in all walks of life.

The many convicted RC priests/bishops/cardinals, plus alt-right evangelists, spring to mind.

In leading their lives they don’t face hate or physical attacks.

Imho it’s a great thing that the likes of the UK and Australia have moved in a direction that openly protects those of widely varied sexuality and gender, promotes the breaking down of barriers.

The antithesis of 2022 Hungary, Russia and Turkey.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
From what I can see it is only pacific islanders, I guess their world view is much narrower than most of us would like. They are trying to their religious based homophobia behind outrage that they were not consulted. Sad really as Manly were the first NRL team to have an openly gay player way back in 95. We had a similar issue with Israel Folau, Rugby Australia booted him from the international team, he now plays for Tonga who no doubt align better with his views.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
There are “weirdos” in all walks of life.

The many convicted RC priests/bishops/cardinals, plus alt-right evangelists, spring to mind.

In leading their lives they don’t face hate or physical attacks.

Imho it’s a great thing that the likes of the UK and Australia have moved in a direction that openly protects those of widely varied sexuality and gender, promotes the breaking down of barriers.

The antithesis of 2022 Hungary, Russia and Turkey.

Absolutely there are weirdos in all walks of life.

So is anyone telling you to not call the people you consider weird weidos?

If someone is weird to you that's fine, what we all consider gross or weird may differ.

So should anyone be made to wear something that is attempting to legitimise something they find gross or weird?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

It is hugely contradictory and full of many other 'rules' that are broken all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPjWd4MUXs

Really as a basis for forming an opinion on something it has way too many grey areas and is too open to interpretation. It certainly shouldn't be held up as any kind of worthwhile evidence for why one opinion is superior to another.

As I said before if your issue with the shirt is that their is a rainbow on it rather than the advertising, promotion and encouragement of gambling also on the shirt then your priorities are a little skewed (IMHO of course). It matters little to me what how these gentlemen have chosen to interpret the stories in a 2000 year old book, much of which has been proven to be factually inaccurate and even more of which is contradictory and open to interpretation.

I will also add that I also do not support the idea of forcing these people to wear the shirt they disagree with so much. I just hope that they are docked the relevant wages for the time off. Perhaps the money could be sent to a worthwhile charity. Pride Foundation may be appropriate or perhaps a gambling addiction charity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports