Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeless numbers in UK doubles in five years.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The answer to that is simple - at the moment you get 6 months free of paying council tax if a property is empty. After that you have to pay full council tax. They should reduce that exemption period to say two months and after that you pay say 20 times the full council tax rate. Watch how quickly those hoarding empty properties rent them out then.

Didn't know that and to be fair I thought you didn't have to pay council tax if it was empty :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We give over £200 million to India lol
It's just pathetic and I bet their is loads more that we don't know about that will slip out the net like the rest.
It's like me getting paid and sending all my wages to Nigeria....that's what this country does and now you're seeing what happens when you send 30 billion abroad each year.

We did but it's stopped.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20265583

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I honestly wonder how much of this is being fuelled by overseas investment in property in the South East (including London) - there's an awful lot of background noise, but nothing concrete from what I can see in the news.

none. people are not sleeping rough in Brigthon, Bristol or Birmingham because of 500k+ flats in London being brought by overseas investors.

now homeless counting people not having their own home maybe partialy a consequence of overall imbalances in the property market, with too high rents more than house prices directly. but even then, theres alot of other stuff going on, the statistics hide alot of personal reasons for homelessness that cant be solved by simply having more/cheaper housing. sleeping rough definatly has deeper and complex reasons, the drunk chap on the street has problems that cant be blamed on immigrants and whatnot.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Will we be having another 330,000 coming to the country next year, giving billions away in foreign aid, giving around 55m a day to the EU, of course we will.
Well building 1m homes by 2020 will certainly do a lot with a net amount of 330,000 coming in each year won't it.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Will we be having another 330,000 coming to the country next year, giving billions away in foreign aid, giving around 55m a day to the EU, of course we will.
Well building 1m homes by 2020 will certainly do a lot with a net amount of 330,000 coming in each year won't it.
Will be 500,000 next year and so on....the country will collapse if we don't leave the EU.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
There is a SHORTAGE of housing in Brighton & Hove and the DEMAND FAR EXCEEDS THE SUPPLY - unfortunately, it is not possible for us to rehouse everyone who applies. There are THOUSANDS of households on our WAITING LIST, meaning that there are likely to be a lot of people bidding for each available property and those in the most urgent housing need get the highest priority. Because of this, our housing options team give advice on what else you can do to find housing that suits you - see our housing options page for further information.
http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/cont...-and-how-apply

D

Deleted member 22389

With house prices and rents so high in London people are moving down this way and buying properties outright, forcing the prices up. I have seen it myself up my mums road, bungalows being bought for £300,000 next thing you see is massive extensions being built, a house a few roads up sold for £500,000 and this is Peacehaven we are talking about not Surrey. These are certainly not local people buying the houses. A house is up for sale one minute and a week later it is sold. Peacehaven is starting to look like a Chelsea Tractor show with all these lovely new 4 x 4 driving everywhere.

These are not your rich Tory snob boys we are talking about either here, they are people who have got out of London and the surrounding areas for a better life, because of over population and a better deal, and what with the benefit cuts people are now being sent down this way where the rents are still cheaper.

You just have to let the property market do what it needs to do, people can't complain about the housing prices being so high either when we have over 500,000 people coming to this country every year placing even more and more demand on our housing and our services, think about it. We just can't build enough houses and never will, and it's now becoming a case of no more houses in my back yard.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
All down to Boris and Dave. No moral fibre. Boris is a particularly nasty piece of work, instructing architects to "design the homeless out of London".

Oct 25, 2003
interestingly, the rough sleeping population of Brighton & Hove has ever so slightly declined in the past year...which I'd say is more to do with the excellent homelessness services in the city rather than the state.

However, I predict that this will sadly increase again in the next year or so. The council are closing one of the main 'Band 2' hostels (or to be more accurate, the beds are now being designated as mental health beds rather than rough sleepers beds) as well as the majority of their 'Band 3' accommodation, with those currently in Band 3 accommodation being moved back to Band 2 or possibly into private rented accommodation (unlikely given the amount of landlords willing to accept housing benefit). The current hostel waiting list is at the highest it's ever been, with some individuals who are extremely vulnerable having to wait several months until they get a place. People with 'medium' or 'low' priority may as well not bother.

The general demographics of the homeless population in B&H has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years. Your classic 'vagrant' type has been replaced largely by a population of hugely complex individuals most of whom simply shouldn't be living on the streets and need constant care- we're seeing a large rise in rough sleepers with pretty serious mental health issues

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Rich stay rich, poor stay poor, sooner the sheep realise this the sooner the revolution can begin

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Wait till the interest rates increase , doubt many people have saved for this even though it is more than likely to happen sooner than later and probably only in one direction for a while .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here