Home Grown Quota For Premiership

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
home grown and british/english/whatever at least 6 in the starting XI, to be brought in phases over a few years obviously as you probably could'nt do it straight away :thumbsup:

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
WengeR woulD resigN. unlesS homE growN countS groomeD sincE 13 anD broughT oveR at a younG agE hencE "homE growN"

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
surely our best bet is to get our players to play abroad and not just largeing it up in england,learning to play against superior opposition,learning to change tactics mid-match if tings int workin' ya know.......:wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No it wont. If England want to do better at tournaments take a look at how the Germans and Spanish systems work. It's simple really.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The ECB did a massive change a couple of years back seeing England fail at all forms of the game, since then they won the Ashes, became a force in ODI's and won the Twenty20 World Cup

The FA need to do something similar, maybe get a bit of advice from the ECB

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The ECB did a massive change a couple of years back seeing England fail at all forms of the game, since then they won the Ashes, became a force in ODI's and won the Twenty20 World Cup

The FA need to do something similar, maybe get a bit of advice from the ECB

you mean raid South Africa? :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can anyone really imagine England players having the passing skills and ball control of the current crop of Spaniards? They can do what they like in the Premier League, it won't make a jot of difference until kids are taught to actually control and pass the ball from a very young age. Some of our players may be able to raise their game to look half reasonable when surrounded by foreigners but a bunch of Englishmen in a team put under pressure by decent footballers lose all ball skills and treat the thing like a hot potato. As a nation we are not comfortable on the ball, those that are tend to be considered luxury players and discarded early on or ignored as not being good team players..

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think England can play any one of the top 30 FIFA ranked teams, and they would ALL look technically better than us when it comes to controlling the ball and passing it.

England get by on strength and bullying, and usually look like a bunch of sunday league hoofatrons

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its coming in all across europe this season. the clubs have known about it coming for some time too. there is even a work around already in place: players are consider "home grown" if they come through the clubs academy. this is why clubs have been snapping up young players for the past few years, in anticipation of this move.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I have been giving this A LOT of thought recently and am not sure that we will ever change, I think it is a cultural thing. In England we have no patience, look how we cram a sandwich in our gobs quickly at lunch, look at us attempting to pace ourselves when drinking, look at road rage, people shopping or having to wait for something for anything over one minute.

This cultural difference is reflected in our football, we panic, go long and cannot just be patient. Look at Spain in their last four game, it took them till the last quater of the game (sometimes longer) to score but they did not panic, they continued to pass, pass, pass until there was an opening.

Unless you can change our whole cutural norms and patterns of behaviour then our ability to hold the ball and KEEP it just isn't going to happen.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
We last won a major tournament in 1966.

There were very few (if any) foreigners in the top leagues in 1970, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986 and 1990.

We didn't win any of them. In fact, we didn't even qualify for a couple of them... saying foreign players have ruined the national team is therefore unproven.

The simple fact of the matter is English players are just not good enough. If they were, and were the best players in the world, Premiership clubs would have no need to buy players from abroad. Not syaing I disagree with the 6 home grown rule, will probably be a good idea, but won't mean we will win the world cup in 2014.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can anyone really imagine England players having the passing skills and ball control of the current crop of Spaniards? They can do what they like in the Premier League, it won't make a jot of difference until kids are taught to actually control and pass the ball from a very young age. Some of our players may be able to raise their game to look half reasonable when surrounded by foreigners but a bunch of Englishmen in a team put under pressure by decent footballers lose all ball skills and treat the thing like a hot potato. As a nation we are not comfortable on the ball, those that are tend to be considered luxury players and discarded early on or ignored as not being good team players..

There was an interview with someone from La Liga in The Guardian at the weekend where he pointed out that in Spain, kids play no competitive football at all they're 8, between 8 to 10, they play some competitive football and only after 10 do they really start playing competitively. I look at the kids of 6 or 7 playing football on the big pitches at Wild Park at the weekend and despair. AS Icy Gull says, half the time, the ball is treated like a hot potato - so players get that habit from an early age

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have been giving this A LOT of thought recently and am not sure that we will ever change, I think it is a cultural thing. In England we have no patience, look how we cram a sandwich in our gobs quickly at lunch, look at us attempting to pace ourselves when drinking, look at road rage, people shopping or having to wait for something for anything over one minute.

This cultural difference is reflected in our football, we panic, go long and cannot just be patient. Look at Spain in their last four game, it took them till the last quater of the game (sometimes longer) to score but they did not panic, they continued to pass, pass, pass until there was an opening.

Unless you can change our whole cutural norms and patterns of behaviour then our ability to hold the ball and KEEP it just isn't going to happen.

A vast generalisation. We're good at queuing, which kinda blows your theory out the water. It' like saying, if Spain had lost yesterday, that they were lazy due to afternoon siestas and the manana attitude. It seems clear to me that it will only change thorugh a change in training practices over a generation - so they are taught ball control (and self-control), not playing on full-size puitches until they are old enough to do so effectievely.

I don't see us winning the WC in my life-time, certainly not in Brazil, where I can already hear people tuning up to start blaming the hot temperature out there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have been giving this A LOT of thought recently and am not sure that we will ever change, I think it is a cultural thing.

finally, a comment that highlights the underlying problem. it is cultral. i recall in the pub against US a couple of lad screaming for the "pass forward", "shoooot" when within 20 yrds of the box and booing when a pass was made across field. not interested in wathcing a patient passing game.

however, thats not to say we cannot improve ball control, and basic techical skills. if we do have to lump it 40yds at least the player should be able to control the ball and then go past a defender, not just knock it randomly off and chase after it. The Germans showed how you can play a direct and high tempo game with proper skills.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I gave up on this England nonsense years ago. I really do not believe anything will change in my lifetime so why bother supporting it? I have also stated to hate a lot of the players.

Our administration is a 3-way battle between the FA (which really really does need reforming), the Prem and the FL. And we dont have any single body overlooking the coaching of school kids. Spain have 10 times as many UEFA schoolboy coaches, Germany 14. Until these three items are addressed then there is no hope. Then you will need to recruit and coach kids. We're decades away.

Also, the comment about lack of patience in this country is so spot on. You see it everywhere.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't see us winning the WC in my life-time, certainly not in Brazil, where I can already hear people tuning up to start blaming the hot temperature out there.

I do wonder what the Euro qualifying team will look like. The current squad has proven over the past decade it is simply not up to it. And the players in the wings simply do not look good enough to be major trophy winners. There's talk of Zamora. I'd love him to play for England but in all seriousness he is not international level, well not the level we're needing if we seriously expect to win something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports