Home fans - good on you

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Yesterday was my first home game for a couple of years.

Leaving aside the team's performance itself which was crap, on the plus side it was great to be walking to a ground in the majority colours, not having boring abuse of the faggot variety hurled our way by brainless northern prats.

But on the minus side the atmosphere at Withdean was even worse than I remembered it. In the north west corner I felt trapped by a load of quiet, well behaved old buffers. Full of intelligent comments and observations which may or may not have been right, but that's not what I go to a match for.

Away matches have their downsides and I more often come home feeling angry than happy, but seldom, if ever, as depressed as yesterday.

So, to all you loyal home fans - Good on you for sticking with it. As for me - roll on Carlisle.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Withdean is like a loveless marriage (I assume)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sit in H block next time.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The last time i went to withdean it was in 1969 for a school sports day !! i have never seen brighton play there (yet) apart from that though, is the atmosphere really that bad there ? is it really not possible to get the singing going like it does at the away games (which i do go to most) what is the problem with the atmosphere there ? i know theres no roofs over the stands so that doesnt help, please give me positive reasons, i cant be arsed with a load of "if mcghee wasnt there ....etc etc etc...:nono: "

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Beach Hut said:
Withdean is like a loveless marriage (I assume)

I could show you REAL love Beachy. If only you'd let me :love:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The atmosphere is dreadful. FACT!

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
hitony said:
The last time i went to withdean it was in 1969 for a school sports day !! i have never seen brighton play there (yet) apart from that though, is the atmosphere really that bad there ? is it really not possible to get the singing going like it does at the away games (which i do go to most) what is the problem with the atmosphere there ? i know theres no roofs over the stands so that doesnt help, please give me positive reasons, i cant be arsed with a load of "if mcghee wasnt there ....etc etc etc...:nono: "

The first season there were no specific sing sections, when they were introduced the second season there, the club didn't want to upset the st holders by moving them to accomadate a singing section so two were set at the furthest points away from the then "new away end". Can't remeber much being said at the time as we were only going to be there for another couple of years. Roll forward 6 years, and I'v now seen more home games at Withers then the Goldstone :bowdown: and the end still isn't in sight. The atmosphere has got worse over the years, and think it's because people are pig sick of being there. Yes am eternally grateful for what we've acheived there, and it's given us a home in Brighton, however it's not the fortress it once was, we don't go into games expecting to win as we did in the past, every other player in the league ha got used to it as well as us, take into account that there is no roof so all sound generated goes up, as opposed to echoing around and we have the current situation. I'm just past the half way line and can never hear the home fans, a bit now from the new stand and the family stand, but not from 50 meters down in my stand.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
hitony said:
what about the student bird you met last night though bry ??? :lolol: blown her out already eh ??? :lolol: :lolol:

:) Haven't seen her again yet Tony - been at work most of today. May wander along to the pub later this evening, just to see if she is there :)

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
At the moment, the place sadly reminds me of the Barry Lloyd days where the crowd simply wouldn't come because it was him who was the manager, and football was awful.

As soon as he went, the crowds started to come back, and the atmosphere around the place changed.

I'm not advocating getting rid of MM, because he is doing the best he can with what he has got, but yesterday was truly truly awful, and I fear for us in our next two away games if we don't improve ten-fold.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
dougdeep said:
Sit in H block next time.

spot on , Wednesday evening made me relise just how much i miss the singing section.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
555kaz said:
The first season there were no specific sing sections, when they were introduced the second season there, the club didn't want to upset the st holders by moving them to accomadate a singing section so two were set at the furthest points away from the then "new away end". Can't remeber much being said at the time as we were only going to be there for another couple of years. Roll forward 6 years, and I'v now seen more home games at Withers then the Goldstone :bowdown: and the end still isn't in sight. The atmosphere has got worse over the years, and think it's because people are pig sick of being there. Yes am eternally grateful for what we've acheived there, and it's given us a home in Brighton, however it's not the fortress it once was, we don't go into games expecting to win as we did in the past, every other player in the league ha got used to it as well as us, take into account that there is no roof so all sound generated goes up, as opposed to echoing around and we have the current situation. I'm just past the half way line and can never hear the home fans, a bit now from the new stand and the family stand, but not from 50 meters down in my stand.
:clap: :clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sick to death of Withdean but we are where we are and until those bastards at Lewes pack in this stupid crusade we have no option.

I hate the ground so much it hurts now and have virtually lost the will to live for Falmer.

Withdean is non-atmospheric, crap, a joke, embarassment, un-professional, shithole, dump, rubbish tip................

How players ever come to play for us is beyond me at times.

Still onwards and upwards 05/6 December is the next steps in this painful journey to the promised land.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I hate Withdean with a passion - in fact it was a hard decision as to whether or not to renew this year.

But I did it - and will do again next year and the year after.

There's no way I am going to let those bastards at LDC bankrupt the club I love - who will our children watch?

Even more important that you take all your family, friends, neighbours etc along to the LibDums conference in a few weeks time.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
In fairness, listening to all you regular goers to withdean, its really sounds bad...VERY BAD ....good on you all for sticking it out....i know what beachy means about losing the will to live for falmer, its hard to stay enthusiastic about it, and when you live so far away from brighton, you dont even get to hear everything thats going on with it all...........I APPLUDE YOU ALL :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Like most fans I hate the Withdean stadium, But like it or not it's our home so it's about making the best of a bad job. It'll never be as good as the Goldstone but it's a damn sight better than Gillingham.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sorry if I sound condescending but the club needs money. I know it's a personal thing but I will go to as many games as I can until the day I die. The city needs a professional football club, it is where I was born, and I see it as my club. I don't care how crap the football is as long as they continue in business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports