Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holloway predicts automatic promotion

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If we can make the top six, with the present squad I would be amazed but delighted.
This year could be well worth watching, lots of decent teams in with a chance.

So I am assuming that you feel our squad is weaker than last season. I am also assuming you are basing this on us suffering a quite ridiculous amount of injuries again. I am also assuming that you expect our form to drop by more than 15-20 points. I am also assuming that you expect the morale/spirit to be lower than last season. I am also assuming that you expect to score a lot less goals this season. I am also assuming that you consider the division to be a lot stronger this season, despite the addition of a PL team that won only twice all season and the addition of Wigan, Burton and Barnsley.
I also assume that you are ignoring the clear signals being given by our illustrious chairman that the number one priority is promotion and he does not intend to sell anybody. Am I assuming too much?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
So I am assuming that you feel our squad is weaker than last season. I am also assuming you are basing this on us suffering a quite ridiculous amount of injuries again. I am also assuming that you expect our form to drop by more than 15-20 points. I am also assuming that you expect the morale/spirit to be lower than last season. I am also assuming that you expect to score a lot less goals this season. I am also assuming that you consider the division to be a lot stronger this season, despite the addition of a PL team that won only twice all season and the addition of Wigan, Burton and Barnsley.
I also assume that you are ignoring the clear signals being given by our illustrious chairman that the number one priority is promotion and he does not intend to sell anybody. Am I assuming too much?

You assume correctly. We will be lucky to get top six and if you start dusting off the chestnut about injuries bla bla bla....
If Tony was saying anything different it would be worrying considering how close we have been in recent times. I just don't think we have it in us but would be delighted to be wrong, but based on past history I've been correct!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I just can't see the team scoring the goals needed to be top half.

Sure people can kid themselves everything will be ok because 'we were top scorers last season'.
But that only works if you omit the fact that the team scored 20 goals in 5 separate drubbings, and could only beat 1 top 6 side all season.

There's no reason to think the defence won't once again be rock solid.
So the team are all set for another similar season of too many draws, 17 last season (one off the highest of 18).
But this time, in front of goal, they are going to be so one dimensional the winning goal will be harder to find.

All of this changes with the signing of THE striker.
I think the team would be almost unstoppable with the inclusion of a quick, powerful, proven goalscorer.
But the nearer we get to the season the less confidence I have in the final (and most expensive) piece of the jigsaw arriving.

Not saying I disagree with many of your points .... However 3rd on GD to 14th with the same squad pretty much seems a bit pessimistic

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not saying I disagree with many of your points .... However 3rd on GD to 14th with the same squad pretty much seems a bit pessimistic
Far comment, I accept the position is a bit low.
I was aiming for the cluster of teams that reach 'nothing to play for' first.
Had I looked at last seasons final table before posting, I might have said 9th to 14th, where only 7 points separate 6 teams.

5 loss seasons don't come around too often.
Without more firepower I just can't see the team sustaining anything more than an Ipswichesque flirtation with the top 6.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Holloway always has nothing but good things to say about us. When he does punditry he's all over us. Possible job seeker for the future ? Quite like the bloke myself.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Too early to know who will finish where. Signings to be made and teams to have injury concerns, it is a long old season ahead

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Injuries are not an old chestnut, they define a season.
Losing 7 regular first teamers for weeks/ months would have derailed any side and Boro and Burnley were fortunate to suffer far, far less. Given the same level, neither would have been promoted.
It surprises me that fans are predicting a demise to mid-table, given that we have the same nucleus of players. At present, we have the best attacking options in the division and the likelihood of a reasonably solid defence. One poster is forecasting 16th to 12th position, a likely drop of 30+ points. This sort of staggering decline could only be put down to management incompetence and I think we all agree that we are in pretty safe hands.
I'm not convinced that the division is going to be immeasurably stronger than last and I am convinced that we are going to go very well again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm with him on Villa. They've still got huge problems and if they were even contenders for the playoffs this year, I'd say Di Matteo has done an excellent job.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking forward to reading Dr Tony's twitter ramblings when the pressure really is on, particularly as he's had a small meltdown over a pundits pre season prediction. :lolol:

Nah he (or whoever is running his twitter feed) is just trying to generate a 'them and us - we're all in it together - siege mentality'.

I'm so pleased the Albion has grown out of that stage, although I do have to own the fact it was fun while it lasted.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not sure about top two, but I am convinced we are a top six team and will be for the fourth time in six seasons. The current centre half injuries notwithstanding we are starting the season from a far stronger standpoint than we did last. We will not kick off the season relying on Kaz magic to get us through the early games, but a strike force of Hemed and Murray who are both proven scorers. We are also starting with Knockaert, Skalak, Murphy, Stephens and Kayal available in the middle with March and Sidwell to come back soon. Not to mention another couple of late signings to come to bolster the squad before the closing of the window.

We have maintained a top half/top six finish in this division for a reason, once is a fluke three times is a pattern. I do not see how we are weaker this season. Zamora has been replaced Murray who will play far more than Bobby did. We just need to replace Wilson, and I'd be surprised if that player did not improve on Wilson's return for us last season (even if that replacement ironically is once again Wilson himself).

I have confidence in the players, management and recruiting staff based on the evidence provided last season and I am backing them for success again this season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[tweet]759631227426963456[/tweet]

This guy is completely hatstand. I'm going to follow him, this could be carcrash stuff this season.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not sure about top two, but I am convinced we are a top six team and will be for the fourth time in six seasons. The current centre half injuries notwithstanding we are starting the season from a far stronger standpoint than we did last. We will not kick off the season relying on Kaz magic to get us through the early games, but a strike force of Hemed and Murray who are both proven scorers. We are also starting with Knockaert, Skalak, Murphy, Stephens and Kayal available in the middle with March and Sidwell to come back soon. Not to mention another couple of late signings to come to bolster the squad before the closing of the window.

We have maintained a top half/top six finish in this division for a reason, once is a fluke three times is a pattern. I do not see how we are weaker this season. Zamora has been replaced Murray who will play far more than Bobby did. We just need to replace Wilson, and I'd be surprised if that player did not improve on Wilson's return for us last season (even if that replacement ironically is once again Wilson himself).

I have confidence in the players, management and recruiting staff based on the evidence provided last season and I am backing them for success again this season.

At least two of us are singing from the same hymn sheet....hurrah!

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
It's inconceivable we will start in the same way we did last season. Despite playing some smashing football, for any club to go unbeaten that long they MUST have the rub of the green.

Some transfer speculation and the mere fact other clubs will be now be wary of our capabilities, will count against us. Clubs won't be caught cold like they were by the previous season's relegation fodder.

However, as it stands, we still have a great team don't we? I predict a tough opening period as teams make life difficult for us and we establish a fit and well established line-up.

But once the dust settles, we can push on. There's no reason why this season can't be the reverse of the last - and as the form team we make a late surge for the play-offs/automatic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here