Holloway no happy

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Bent had agreed to a medical with Palace this morning. At some time between the deal last night and the medical this morning, Fulham bettered our offer. Our package included add-ons while Fulham's was a straight £65k per week. Can't blame him for taking the easy money at his age in all honesty.

Oh well, shit happens. Would have been a great signing for us but ultimately we can't compete with established clubs like Fulham.

Darren Bent had agreed to a medical at various clubs, he, or more likely his agent, was working late into the night trying to get the best offer.

Sad, but true. Anyone who really believes these players want to join a particular club is kidding themselves. Money is king for these players.

Blimey so many Palace getting shirty because they didn't sign Bent - what are you going to be like when the season starts and the inevitable happens ?

I would prepare yourself for a bit of ribbing when all those jibes you throw at our supporters rebound on you when the old "Fickles" turn on the team, manager and board (as they will) . Still I suppose failing to sell 16k season tickets might have some benefits after all. :cool:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A feat you'd never have to concenplate grimbo :wink:

We did manage 4 (FOUR) CONSECUTIVE seasons in the top division (79-83). When was the last time Palace fans contemplated a follow on second season in the top league ?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Darren Bent had agreed to a medical at various clubs, he, or more likely his agent, was working late into the night trying to get the best offer.

Sad, but true. Anyone who really believes these players want to join a particular club is kidding themselves. Money is king for these players.

100% correct.
The only loyalty in football is from the fans.
Players are after the best deal for themselves, and will go to the highest bidder.
Money is king.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Blimey so many Palace getting shirty because they didn't sign Bent - what are you going to be like when the season starts and the inevitable happens ?

I would prepare yourself for a bit of ribbing when all those jibes you throw at our supporters rebound on you when the old "Fickles" turn on the team, manager and board (as they will) . Still I suppose failing to sell 16k season tickets might have some benefits after all. :cool:

FFS Don't mention BENEFITS on a thread that the Nigels are posting on , they'll all be here in a minute.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

Pray silence, The Major has spoken .

HansIsALiar

Banned
Jul 24, 2013

Yep. I really dislike the Premier League. The only reason I'm pleased we got promoted last season was the £140m Steve Parish said it gets us.

Pray silence, The Major has spoken .

I said Bent would be a good signing for you - the sort of player you need to have a chance of staying up. However, you are going to struggle to sign decent players (as your current pre season signings show) as everyone else in the Prem and several in the Championship are more appealing Clubs to the better players. If you had a ground that wasn't a shithole and supporters that showed up things may be different.

I will not cry for you.:cry:

HansIsALiar

Banned
Jul 24, 2013
I said Bent would be a good signing for you - the sort of player you need to have a chance of staying up. However, you are going to struggle to sign decent players (as your current pre season signings show) as everyone else in the Prem and several in the Championship are more appealing Clubs to the better players. If you had a ground that wasn't a shithole and supporters that showed up things may be different.

Supporters that showed up? Major, you are aware that we've sold out our Season Ticket allocation this season and that most games will set out without going on general sale, aren't you?

We are going to struggle to sign players like Bent because we don't have as much money as most other Premier League clubs. That is the only reason. If we were throwing cash around like QPR did then I'm sure Bent would have signed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yep. I really dislike the Premier League. The only reason I'm pleased we got promoted last season was the £140m Steve Parish said it gets us.

What you really should be worried about is the £140M Steve Parish says it gets him and his 3 buddies. Expect a Blackpool moment next season when certain investments are paid back.

Supporters that showed up? Major, you are aware that we've sold out our Season Ticket allocation this season and that most games will set out without going on general sale, aren't you?

We are going to struggle to sign players like Bent because we don't have as much money as most other Premier League clubs. That is the only reason. If we were throwing cash around like QPR did then I'm sure Bent would have signed.

No you didn't.

You set it at 16k - sold 15k and bunged the remaining 1k into another desperate scheme.

This smacks of the Palace policy of claiming matches sell out when you fail to sell tickets and declare the unsolds as "segregation or restricted view". I would love someone to tell me what your capacity is at the 2bit this season - it is a movable feast at best.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

I think you're all cried out after last season.
Of course we will struggle to get the best players, we're favourites for the drop, but playing in our shithole is our best chance of staying up. As we proved last season, when the chips are down, we have the character and tenacity to get the job done.
Holloway's no mug, he will use the underdog tag to our advantage, underestimate the Wurzel at your peril.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
What you really should be worried about is the £140M Steve Parish says it gets him and his 3 buddies. Expect a Blackpool moment next season when certain investments are paid back.

Feck me Soggy, if your shower ever make the promise land,old Tone will be rich again .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Reducing the capacity to roughly 24,500 means they don't have to do a thousand Groupon offers or resort to the kids for a quid scheme. They don't want to be bottom of the league in the % of capacity sold too.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Aren't they entitled to get at least some of their investment back?

I'm sure TB is expecting a return on his investment at some time in the future as well, and as long as that doesn't jeopardise the club's overall financial position I won't complain when he does take money out.

As regards all the "banter" about CP's relegation I find this a bit embarrassing when we are on the same number of points as them having played two games more. :blush:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Aren't they entitled to get at least some of their investment back?

I'm sure TB is expecting a return on his investment at some time in the future as well, and as long as that doesn't jeopardise the club's overall financial position I won't complain when he does take money out.

As regards all the "banter" about CP's relegation I find this a bit embarrassing when we are on the same number of points as them having played two games more. :blush:

Three after Saturday.

I think you're all cried out after last season.
Of course we will struggle to get the best players, we're favourites for the drop, but playing in our shithole is our best chance of staying up. As we proved last season, when the chips are down, we have the character and tenacity to get the job done.
Holloway's no mug, he will use the underdog tag to our advantage, underestimate the Wurzel at your peril.

I think the Wurzel might be gone before XMas - which might be a good thing for you. However, I can't see your speed hoofball working over a season in the Prem.

I am hoping that you are 10 points adrift with about 2 months to go - then I will stick a bet on you to survive and if the miracle happens it will pay for my Albion season ticket 2014-2015 - and if not, it will be money well spent to see you drop.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports