[Palace] Holloway admits culpability for shit start, and takes his ball home.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
If you look at Holloway's managerial career, his best spells have tended to be at clubs where there is no major expectation and he builds that mentality of 'they all think we're a small club and we'll show you'. But when he manages at a bigger club with players with bigger egos, he seems to come unstuck. He was a disaster at Leicester and not particularly successful at QPR. His best times were at Blackpool and Plymouth where he kind of revelled on managing a club that was on the periphery of things. You could also say that these teams were only doing well for a short period of time under his management. Blackpool did well for half a season in the Premier League after he'd managed to get them promoted (Simon Grayson had laid the groundwork) and after having got Plymouth into the play-offs, he walked out to go to Leicester, which meant he ducked out of the challenge of keeping them there. I think he is best suited to working with limited resources. Once he manages at a higher level, he doesn't have the tactical acumen and flexibility needed. This also applies to managers like Neil Warnock and Mick McCarthy too.

Whoever replaces him though has a nigh on impossible job keeping Palace up. They are just not equipped for the Premier League. Their best 2 players last season are not available to them and Holloway bought badly in the summer. In their position, I'd ask Steve Coppell if he wanted the job until the end of the season and then bring in someone to take over next season who can build their own team because whoever comes in now is going to have to work with Holloway's scraps.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
They started off by signing highly rated Championship players which in my view is the way to go and the key to Norwich's success during their first season, however, upon realising they couldnt afford the best Championship players they seem to have panicked and gone a bit gung ho and ended up actually buying a load of dross including Chamakh.

And a load of dross they'll presumably be stuck with on silly wages in The Championship next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be needing every penny of that extra dosh to get in a whole load of replacements who will actually want to play in the lower division. This promotion malarky can often cause more harm than good IMO.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Their squad is dire, not the manager. Holloway is not a bad manager. You CAN'T buff a turd.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
And a load of dross they'll presumably be stuck with on silly wages in The Championship next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be needing every penny of that extra dosh to get in a whole load of replacements who will actually want to play in the lower division. This promotion malarky can often cause more harm than good IMO.

I don't think so, the dross are on one year deals or loans. The players for the future, Bannan, Gayle, Campana, are on longer deals.

Shame he's gone. At least he f@@ked you in the POs and your thoughts that you'd progress this year look like garbage. Maybe last year was your big chance.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Resigned I've heard, refused to put up with being abused by the HF and having slit throat gestures aimed at him.

Don't blame him really.

I got them from a bunch of wannabe hoolie tossers walking up to Smellworst (for the Play Off away leg). He should've just given 'em some grief back like I did; and presumably he would also have been spared the shove in the back that I got from a Met Robocop-a-like. Wouldn't want to be doing that every day, mind, so I don't really blame him naffing it off either.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't think so, the dross are on one year deals or loans. The players for the future, Bannan, Gayle, Campana, are on longer deals.

Shame he's gone. At least he f@@ked you in the POs and your thoughts that you'd progress this year look like garbage. Maybe last year was your big chance.

Harsh bit fair!

I am very surprised at this. Palace were always going to struggle in the prem, everyone knew that. What he could have done different I have no idea! He took an reasonable team on a shocking run till the last week of the season last year and got promotion by beating two sides that finished above them and were the form teams in the division. I am not sure what the owners thought he would do

Sign of the times.

I wonder if they will look at a foreign manager now?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why would good players sign for Palace?

He did to a large extent but with a small budget. How much did he allegedly spend?

Plenty of promoted clubs have built on the squad that got them promoted in the first place with some carefully chosen signings to strengthen in key areas, and without breaking the bank. It takes planning, but it can be done. Even Holloway managed it with Blackpool, they made a decent fist of it before eventually succumbing to relegation on the final day.

Holloways summer dealings this time have been a disaster. There clearly was no plan other than a hit-and-hope last minute scattergun approach, and now we are all seeing the result of that. And lovely viewing it is too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Pulis is the obvious candidate, I hate Holloway and glad he's gone. Let's hope he doesn't end up managing again, but that's hopeful.
I think he's a good guy. What has he done to deserve hatred?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Maybe it was. Unlikely though really isn't it, when you look at our future with our new stadium, training ground and academy, things look pretty rosy to me... We're in no rush, clubs like West Bromwich Albion & Swansea are the blueprint: slow, steady and patience will pay off.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

You have no future you stinky pile of turd.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I feel sorry for him in a way, as maybe we expected to much. I said in an earlier post on here when he was appointed that although I think he is a nice bloke I do not think he is that good a manager even though he did well at QPR and Blackpool, amazingly though his record speaks for itself and he must know something.
Also during the transfer window I was wanting Defenders and none were forthcoming, well one who ended up out of the 25 man squad and out of the club ???
I also wonder how much input from others went into our signings from the board. Either way I never expected us to stay up but neither did I expect what I can only describe as chaos. Either way I actually wish him well wherever he goes next. As for those abusing him and threatening him, It is easy to be hard on a Saturday surrounded by another bunch of like minded wankers, in much the same way it is easy to be gobby behind a keyboard.

Oh well hopefully Neil will come back and not some foreign who who can hardly talk English but who we get as it is the fashion nowadays

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Plenty of promoted clubs have built on the squad that got them promoted in the first place with some carefully chosen signings to strengthen in key areas, and without breaking the bank. It takes planning, but it can be done. Even Holloway managed it with Blackpool, they made a decent fist of it before eventually succumbing to relegation on the final day.

Holloways summer dealings this time have been a disaster. There clearly was no plan other than a hit-and-hope last minute scattergun approach, and now we are all seeing the result of that. And lovely viewing it is too.

Holloway's summer dealings were certainly a disaster. The key difference though when he managed Blackpool was he didn't lose his best 2 players for the start of the new season, albeit Blackpool did miss their first choice goalkeeper to injury for much of their Premier League campaign. Palace's system and style of play pretty much revolved around those 2 players and the signings that were brought in were panic buys because the season had already started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports