Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holiday to Mexico

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Just about to book hoilday to Mexico for about 3-4 weeks time,looking at place called Riu Tequila,very conflicting reports in the reviews,was hoping someone has been there,and give me a rundown/info of the place,or any other recomendations on places similar

karllew

Sep 16, 2011
Never been to the Riu Tequila so cant help, but have stayed at The Royal in Cancun twice and can highly recommend it

BHANic

May 9, 2008
Burgess Hill
I have been there but it was about 6 or 7 years ago. We loved it. The food and drink was fantastic and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The hotel isn't on the beach but you just walk over the quiet road to one of the sister hotels (we used the riu yucatan) and use their beach. You also get to use their beach bar and restaurant as part of the all inclusive which was great. The hotel rooms were a little tired but they were clean and did the job. Also had optics in the room with four different bottles: tequila, gin, vodka and white rum. The beers. soft drinks and water were topped up almost every day. Happy to give you more info if you want it but as I say it was a few years ago now so it may well have changed a bit. We would definitely go back to playacar as felt way more relaxing and chilled than the very busy touristy Cancun, but we would possibly look to stay at the riu yucatan or the Riu palace next time as right by the beach.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
I have been there but it was about 6 or 7 years ago. We loved it. The food and drink was fantastic and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The hotel isn't on the beach but you just walk over the quiet road to one of the sister hotels (we used the riu yucatan) and use their beach. You also get to use their beach bar and restaurant as part of the all inclusive which was great. The hotel rooms were a little tired but they were clean and did the job. Also had optics in the room with four different bottles: tequila, gin, vodka and white rum. The beers. soft drinks and water were topped up almost every day. Happy to give you more info if you want it but as I say it was a few years ago now so it may well have changed a bit. We would definitely go back to playacar as felt way more relaxing and chilled than the very busy touristy Cancun, but we would possibly look to stay at the riu yucatan or the Riu palace next time as right by the beach.

Thanks,the walk is 5 minutes i think,and its a choice between either of the 3 hotels,we were thinking that,the one away from the beach front was a bit more quiet,and had better ratings/reviews than the other 2,evening entertainment is pretty much the same at all 3 venues? Safe for walking around the area? Taxi to nearby town i see is available,did you go into near town/towns? If so safe also? Was told lots of beggars was the only prob,day excursions,any you went on? Thanks again.

BHANic

May 9, 2008
Burgess Hill
Thanks,the walk is 5 minutes i think,and its a choice between either of the 3 hotels,we were thinking that,the one away from the beach front was a bit more quiet,and had better ratings/reviews than the other 2,evening entertainment is pretty much the same at all 3 venues? Safe for walking around the area? Taxi to nearby town i see is available,did you go into near town/towns? If so safe also? Was told lots of beggars was the only prob,day excursions,any you went on? Thanks again.

The Tequila has a more tropical feel to it than the beach side hotels because of all the palm trees. There was some interesting wildlife too, coatees, iguanas etc. It is a bit quieter too. From memory they had more poolside games etc at the Yucatan.

Before you come into the area where all the hotels are located there is a security hut where they check that anyone that comes in has a hotel wrist band. It feels fine to walk about although we only really walked over the road to the other hotels. We got a cab (pretty cheap) into Playa del Carmen a few times. Had lots of the usual touristy gift shops but also some lovely clothes/shoe shops, jewellers, sports shops etc. Never once felt unsafe there. I don't remember beggers at all but you did get a bit pestered to go into shops but no different to any other country really. There were some fab bars and restaurants there. We loved the hotel food so much though that we only went out for drinks a couple if times.

The evening entertainment at the hotel was mixed. The Michael Jackson show was brilliant so we saw it once at our hotel and again at one of the sister hotels. Its great that you can go to another hotel if you don't fancy the show at yours. The club at the Tequila is entertaining! Our best part was coming out of the club at 2/3am and going to the hot/dog burger stand where they made you one to order with all sorts of toppings! We recommended the hotel to friends who went a couple of years after us. Apparently they have a sports bar there now where you can see all the footy.

There is so much to do in Mexico and its one of the reasons we would love to go back. We did a day trip to swim with dolphins on a little island off Cancun which was brilliant. We also swam with stingrays, and beside some sharks. My boyfriend went off on a bike to see the turtles and later we drove a buggy round the island where you got a taste of how they live out there. Thoroughly recommend that trip. We got a video of the dolphin swim but you can also get some fab pictures.

We also did a night on the town in Cancun. It was fun but a bit regimented where we were marched from bar to bar. It was nice to see cancun but it was a bit of a concrete jungle and very touristy. Lots of fab restaurants and bars/clubs though and some very impressive looking hotels.

I would really recommend going to Xcaret eco park. We were lucky enough for someone to give us tickets as they couldnt go, but i dont think its hugely expensive and its only 10 minutes up the road in a cab. One of the highlights is the caves that you swim through and snorkel round. Lots of animals to see there too. You can swim with dolphins there too if you didnt want to do the day trip to the island. Would recommend that you stay until the evening and watch the Mayan show. Very impressive.

There is also chicha nitza (apologies if i have spelt that wrong!). We didnt go as it was particularly hot when we were out there and thought it would be a bit of a grueling journey. However our friends went and were very impressed.

Do let me know if there are any other questions. Hope that helps. Nicky

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
The Tequila has a more tropical feel to it than the beach side hotels because of all the palm trees. There was some interesting wildlife too, coatees, iguanas etc. It is a bit quieter too. From memory they had more poolside games etc at the Yucatan.

Before you come into the area where all the hotels are located there is a security hut where they check that anyone that comes in has a hotel wrist band. It feels fine to walk about although we only really walked over the road to the other hotels. We got a cab (pretty cheap) into Playa del Carmen a few times. Had lots of the usual touristy gift shops but also some lovely clothes/shoe shops, jewellers, sports shops etc. Never once felt unsafe there. I don't remember beggers at all but you did get a bit pestered to go into shops but no different to any other country really. There were some fab bars and restaurants there. We loved the hotel food so much though that we only went out for drinks a couple if times.

The evening entertainment at the hotel was mixed. The Michael Jackson show was brilliant so we saw it once at our hotel and again at one of the sister hotels. Its great that you can go to another hotel if you don't fancy the show at yours. The club at the Tequila is entertaining! Our best part was coming out of the club at 2/3am and going to the hot/dog burger stand where they made you one to order with all sorts of toppings! We recommended the hotel to friends who went a couple of years after us. Apparently they have a sports bar there now where you can see all the footy.

There is so much to do in Mexico and its one of the reasons we would love to go back. We did a day trip to swim with dolphins on a little island off Cancun which was brilliant. We also swam with stingrays, and beside some sharks. My boyfriend went off on a bike to see the turtles and later we drove a buggy round the island where you got a taste of how they live out there. Thoroughly recommend that trip. We got a video of the dolphin swim but you can also get some fab pictures.

We also did a night on the town in Cancun. It was fun but a bit regimented where we were marched from bar to bar. It was nice to see cancun but it was a bit of a concrete jungle and very touristy. Lots of fab restaurants and bars/clubs though and some very impressive looking hotels.

I would really recommend going to Xcaret eco park. We were lucky enough for someone to give us tickets as they couldnt go, but i dont think its hugely expensive and its only 10 minutes up the road in a cab. One of the highlights is the caves that you swim through and snorkel round. Lots of animals to see there too. You can swim with dolphins there too if you didnt want to do the day trip to the island. Would recommend that you stay until the evening and watch the Mayan show. Very impressive.

There is also chicha nitza (apologies if i have spelt that wrong!). We didnt go as it was particularly hot when we were out there and thought it would be a bit of a grueling journey. However our friends went and were very impressed.

Do let me know if there are any other questions. Hope that helps. Nicky

Wow nice one for that,i normally go to the Dominican Republic,but no late deals in decent places lately,Mexico,i have heard such conflicting reports,and seeing as i have my daughter,my partner,and mother in law,just like to be sure of feel safe factor more than anything,vendors is expected,but some can be a right pain,anyway thx for this reply,i have taken note of the tours,ty.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We had our honeymoon at the Riu Tequila.

I ACHE for that place every day. It is wonderful. You are very lucky.

You WILL love it.

Mar 2, 2009
Like other posters I can fully recommend the Rui Tequila. We had a great time there this summer with a total of 16 of us going in 4 family groups. The only problem was that we had to adapt our stay to accommodate an early departure so I could make the Doncaster game, albeit a little jetlagged!
The kids loved the tropical feel of the place and the fantastic fauna just wandering around the complex however it can be a bit alarming to wake up from an afternoon poolside nap to have a 4 foot Iguana looking at you! The food was varied, good and plentiful, with the buffets replenished on a regular basis and all the bars were great with quick service.
The staff where uniformally terrific and very keen to make you feel welcome. If you tired of the facilities in the hotel the sister hotels were fine and it was great to wander down to the beach. We did go on a couple of excursions and i would recommend the catamaran trip to Isla Mujeres where you could swim with Dolphins as previously posted. We also went on a day trip to the Xel-Ha eco park which was a truly memorable experience.
It might just take a little time to get used to the heat and humidity but at no time did we feel unsafe and all of us would be happy to go back at the drop of a hat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here