[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The idea was mooted (not by government) that a test could be taken at the airport and another five days later...but BJ said the it was only 7% accurate (I think)...how does it work in Germany

https://www.berlin-airport.de/en/company/latest-news/news/2020/2020-06-10-fliegen-corona/index.php

All major airports and border crossings have walk in testing centers; a test is mandatory if you have arrived via a high risk country. You go into self-isolation whilst you wait. Wait is up to 72 hours but reality is you’re emailed with 24.

I don’t understand why Boris said these tests are only 7% accurate? Why would there be such a huge difference in accuracy between walk-in tests and those at, say, a hospital?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.berlin-airport.de/en/company/latest-news/news/2020/2020-06-10-fliegen-corona/index.php

All major airports and border crossings have walk in testing centers; a test is mandatory if you have arrived via a high risk country. You go into self-isolation whilst you wait. Wait is up to 72 hours but reality is you’re emailed with 24.

I don’t understand why Boris said these tests are only 7% accurate? Why would there be such a huge difference in accuracy between walk-in tests and those at, say, a hospital?

Gawd knows, it was never properly explained ..they don’t seem too bothered.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Much like that orange freak over the pond, Johnson routinely spouts complete bollocks off the top of his head and makes things up as he goes along, according to whatever he thinks needs to be said at that particular moment. I take literally everything he says with a pinch of salt, everyone should. If he told me it was raining, I'd put my hand out of the window.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Much like that orange freak over the pond, Johnson routinely spouts complete bollocks off the top of his head and makes things up as he goes along, according to whatever he thinks needs to be said at that particular moment. I take literally everything he says with a pinch of salt, everyone should. If he told me it was raining, I'd put my hand out of the window.

True. But surely the vast majority of people, even the most stupid and gullible, would question why a test in a walk-in centre would be so wildly different? Or maybe the public are that stupid?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True. But surely the vast majority of people, even the most stupid and gullible, would question why a test in a walk-in centre would be so wildly different? Or maybe the public are that stupid?

Well enough of them voted him in, so I guess so.

(not that Corbyn was a viable option either, but I'm sure thats all been covered on another thread somewhere).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Both Heathrow and Gatwick airport have test centres ready to go but they are waiting on the government.

I believe Boris is busying playing tennis after a hard hour's work at Chequers poor dear.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’ll be having a break hopefully later this year ...I don’t go abroad as flying would be more like torture for me ...but I havnt got any harsh feelings for those who do travel...but I do think that this is an industry that needs support in some way

Yes it does, but desperados going for pointless piss ups in the sun and spreading a pandemic is not the correct way to be doing it (IMO)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Both Heathrow and Gatwick airport have test centres ready to go but they are waiting on the government.

I believe Boris is busying playing tennis after a hard hour's work at Chequers poor dear.

A whole hour ? I thought he was averse to hard work, especially over time?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Along with many in the travel and aviation industry, Mr Charles advocated a two-test model, one on or before arrival and then a second followed up after five days of quarantine, reducing the time travellers have to self-isolate by nine days.

“The seven per cent figure is spurious data which is questioned by the whole travel industry as being out of date. Secondly, it only relates to one test at the airport rather than two,” said Mr Charles.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...g-reduces-rates-infections-better-quarantine/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After about 5 schedule changes my October flights to Ibiza have now been cancelled. Due to the situation in Spain it was unlikely we would have gone anyway.

But, massive respect to Eurowings which offered a simple online refund process and had the money back in my account within 5 days. Quite different to Virgin, BA and EasyJet.

D

Deleted member 2719

After about 5 schedule changes my October flights to Ibiza have now been cancelled. Due to the situation in Spain it was unlikely we would have gone anyway.

But, massive respect to Eurowings which offered a simple online refund process and had the money back in my account within 5 days. Quite different to Virgin, BA and EasyJet.

HT, I advised you to have a staycation this year, I feel it goes through one ear and out the other with you.:hilton:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
HT, I advised you to have a staycation this year, I feel it goes through one ear and out the other with you.:hilton:

It’s more that I prefer warmth and sunshine to force ten gales and horizontal rain.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No great surprise but a week in Fuerteventura at half-term cancelled, positives are at least by the travel company so full refund.

4 nights in Dorset it is

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No great surprise but a week in Fuerteventura at half-term cancelled, positives are at least by the travel company so full refund.

4 nights in Dorset it is

You can still go to the canaries. Ryanair (for some reason) still running full schedule, and very few numbers. Mate just came back from Gran Canaria 23 down 31 back...... I looked couple of days ago to Tenerife and it was under £20 each way (not inc bags). Obvs you will need 2 weeks quarantine on return + book accom directly, plus May have to be Stansted or Luton if you’re Sussex based?

But all flights going and cheap.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can still go to the canaries. Ryanair (for some reason) still running full schedule, and very few numbers. Mate just came back from Gran Canaria 23 down 31 back...... I looked couple of days ago to Tenerife and it was under £20 each way (not inc bags). Obvs you will need 2 weeks quarantine on return + book accom directly, plus May have to be Stansted or Luton if you’re Sussex based?

But all flights going and cheap.

EasyJet are still running dozens of routes, at great prices, even at Xmas and New Year.

The main problem is the mandatory 2 weeks quarantine at home on returning to the UK. Spain’s Canary Islands I don’t think are on the ever shortening exempt region list.

If it was up to to me, wfh, I’d travel to most destinations. But my family would return to work or school.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
EasyJet are still running dozens of routes, at great prices, even at Xmas and New Year.

The main problem is the mandatory 2 weeks quarantine at home on returning to the UK. Spain’s Canary Islands I don’t think are on the ever shortening exempt region list.

If it was up to to me, wfh, I’d travel to most destinations. But my family would return to work or school.

I’m still mulling over next week. My week in Ibiza turned into a brief 3 and a half day gastronomic trip to the smoke with a visit to the excellent Museum of London. Sunday is decision day but my gut says I’m staying home and twiddling my thumbs in between cleaning the apartment for a second time this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports