Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holders Chelsea Beaten In Cup !

TABLEMAN

Dec 30, 2003
FISHERSGATE
We have just returned for Chelsea's training ground where the
holders of the disability football cup were beaten 5- -4 by Brighton and Hove Albion after extra time in this years first round.
We were always ahead, in a fine match and with 5 mins left of
normal time lead, 4-3 only for Chelsea to equalise in the last min.
The boys dug deep and scored the winner in the last minute of
extra time. Brightons goal scorers were Ryan Healey with one and our top marksman James Horton with 4.
A great result to complete a great weekend, first the BLADES
AND NOW THE MIGHTY CHELSEA .

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Nice one, just goes to prove that Chelsea might be able to buy themselves the Premiership but they still can't cut it with the Albion...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Well done. The club does wonders with the "Specials". :clap2:

Their football has improved rapidly in the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
dougdeep said:
Well done. The club does wonders with the specials. :clap2:

As my brother is someone who is be considered to have a disability, I find that somewhat offensive doug. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but nevertheless please do not belittle disabled people or their achievements by patronisingly calling them 'specials'.

We don't go around saying the club does wonders with the first teamers do we, instead we praise the players and management. Just because these people may be disabled does not mean they are any less worthy of our praise - they are not 'specials', they are human beings just like anyone else.

I apologise for putting this into what should be a congratulatory thread, well done to all the players and everybody else involved:clap:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I am offended by your reply. Some people just look for confrontation. I belittled nobody. What does the club refer to this group of players as?

This is directed at Mr Parish by the way.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Sam they are called the Seagull specials.

If someone said the word "disabled" most people would think in a wheelchair or something. Many of the Seagulls specials are just kids with learning difficulties. I went to watch that game they played at Withdean and I knew some of them from school.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
dougdeep said:
I am offended by your reply. Some people just look for confrontation. I belittled nobody. What does the club refer to this group of players as?

I have never once looked for confrontation on this board, and in fact seldom do in real life. Those on here that know me personally will be able to back me up when I say that I only stand up against someone when I believe there is a reason to do so.

As I've said, I'm sure it was not your intention to offend. However I found your term somewhat patronising and derogatory towards the disabled, of which my brother is one, hence why I feel quite strongly about this.

As I have said, when the team play well we praise the players and managers. Granted I do not know the names of any of the disabled players besides those mentioned in the initial post as their profile is nothing like as high as the first team. Neverthelss your initial post suggested that the success of the disabled team (or 'specials' as you in my mind somewhat derisorily refer to them as) was in fact entirely down to the club as if your were implying that these individuals have no talents of their own because they are disabled.

As for your final question, I have no idea what the club refer to these players as, however as they were competing in the disability cup, they may be the disability team or something along those lines. In my experience, disabled people do not wish to be referred to or known as 'special'. they wish to be treated as normal, ordinary (whatever that is) human beings.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
fatboy said:
Sam they are called the Seagull specials.

If someone said the word "disabled" most people would think in a wheelchair or something. Many of the Seagulls specials are just kids with learning difficulties. I went to watch that game they played at Withdean and I knew some of them from school.

I appreciate that, in fact my brother has learning difficulties rather than being in a wheelchair. I know doug did not mean to offend, and indeed if the club uses the name specials for them I personally find it slightly offensive.

However its not really worth clogging up the board with it, so I will leave it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There is no point me carrying on this discussion, as you have taken offence when none was given.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
calm down people,

Sam obviously wasn't aware of the official title being 'Seagull's Specials' and so took Doug's comment as being patronising which, in fairness, by including the phrase 'The club does wonders with........' alone, could be read to imply that the players are, in some way, lost causes which is not the case at all.

Now, I am sure Doug did not mean anything condescending and it was just an unfortunate turn of phrase.

Unfortunately, rather than just say, sorry, no offence meant, he felt the need to have a pop at Sam being confrontational or some rubbish.

Sam really is the least confrontational chap I have ever met.

Now, me, I'll give you confrontational Doug. It was an ill judged comment which I am sure was meant in the best possible way but was just misconstrued. But, when you ACCIDENTALLY offend someone, why not just say 'sorry, didn't mean it' instead of having a pop at them for being confrontational or whatever?

It really will make you come across as less of a pratt.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The Seagulls Specials is a new type of football club run jointly by Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club and Brighton & Hove Council. The club is aimed at people aged 5 - 21 with special needs. They meet every fortnight on a Saturday at Portslade Community Centre.

If you want to join the seagulls or simply want more information please e-mail tjsanders88@hotmail.com

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
the full harris said:
calm down people,

Sam obviously wasn't aware of the official title being 'Seagull's Specials' and so took Doug's comment as being patronising which, in fairness, by including the phrase 'The club does wonders with........' alone, could be read to imply that the players are, in some way, lost causes which is not the case at all.

Now, I am sure Doug did not mean anything condescending and it was just an unfortunate turn of phrase.

Unfortunately, rather than just say, sorry, no offence meant, he felt the need to have a pop at Sam being confrontational or some rubbish.

Now, me, I'll give you confrontational Doug. It was an ill judged comment which I am sure was meant in the best possible way but was just misconstrued. But, when you ACCIDENTALLY offend someone, why not just say 'sorry, didn't mean it' instead of having a pop at them for being confrontational or whatever?

I am sorry if my innocent post has offended anybody.

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
the full harris said:
calm down people,

*James in sensible post shocker*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here