Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HMS Queen Elizabeth

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I said before, I served on the Ark Royal, the one that was in the TV series Sailing. We always had nicknames for ships. The first plastic minesweeper (to evade magnetic mines) was nicknamed HMS Tupperware for instance. I also served on the Bulwark, affectionately known as the Rusty B but only by those that served on it. Anyone else got short shrift.
I worry that the matelots on this one will be known as Queenies? Anyway, should toughen them up.

We were picket ship (HMS Saintes,battle class destroyer) for the Bulwark at the Suez,There was Albion,Bulwark,Centaur in the same light carrier group,but rarely served together.

My Dad served on the Bulwark from 54-56.

Btw to GoldwithFalmer, HMS Warrior was a stone frigate unless he was in Queen Victoria's Navy.

My Dad served on the Bulwark from 54-56.

Btw to GoldwithFalmer, HMS Warrior was a stone frigate unless he was in Queen Victoria's Navy.
I had a great uncle who served on an earlier HMS Bulwark. The vessel that blew up in 1914 at Sheerness, with the loss of 734 men.

The centenary is coming up in November and there seem to be no plans to commemorate what was the second most catastrophic loss of lives in the entire history of the Royal Navy.

"We shall remember them" ?

http://www.sbhoa.co.uk/bulwark.pdf

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
When were you on the Ark? Iwas on there 88-89, did the Aussie bi-centennial deployment

Years before mate... 72-73...

We were quite a way down in the hole, but the places below us were pretty james bondish (especially the Submarine operations) . lots of armed marines as well. Strange place.
We had to stay down there during an exercise and were shut in. Walls came down, and beds revealed etc... pretty strange experience.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Years before mate... 72-73...

We were quite a way down in the hole, but the places below us were pretty james bondish. lots of armed marines as well. Strange place.
We had to stay down there during an exercise and were shut in. Walls came down, and beds revealed etc... pretty strange experience.

Oh, I didn't join up till 75, so only a sprog compared to you!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
You're all sprogs...joined 1954 at the age of 15...left in 1966 just got home in time to see the world cup,I joined the Navy when they had a need for men,not to feed them,men of steel,ships of wood,now it's men of wood ships of steel...and many other Navy sayings.
Seriously good on anyone who served...you've done you're bit.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Got a navy reunion this Wednesday the 10th,not many of us left now,about 18 with the signifigant others.
Have done a painting of our ship...HMS Alert in the Singapore Straits 1959 which is being unveiled for the Association.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Got a navy reunion this Wednesday the 10th,not many of us left now,about 18 with the signifigant others.
Have done a painting of our ship...HMS Alert in the Singapore Straits 1959 which is being unveiled for the Association.
Put a copy of the picture on here I would love to see it.My Brother in-law has just retired from the Navy after 30years in Scotland spent most of his time on Subs finished as a training officer. He also said 7000 to 10000 civilian jobs around the Scottish bases will be lost if the vote is yes for independence.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Put a copy of the picture on here I would love to see it.My Brother in-law has just retired from the Navy after 30years in Scotland spent most of his time on Subs finished as a training officer. He also said 7000 to 10000 civilian jobs around the Scottish bases will be lost if the vote is yes for independence.

My nephew did 15 years on boats in Guzz, he has just left cos they are moving all the hunter killers to Faslaine and he doesn't want to be based in Scotland, with a home in Plymouth.

Then he got a job on the rigs, no, I don't understand it either

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Thank you but please don't refer to HMS Victorious as a lovely boat! She was a ship. To an ex-matelot boats are submarines. Sorry.

:lolol: i know and i am sorry,ship, i really did mean ship...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here