Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HMRC - like going back in time 30 years

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Remember, if you are employed they know exactly how much you have earned.

Yeah I know. My situation is JUST a bit more complex. I actually had a PM offering help (thanks again) but I can see this being referred to my accountant so I will end up out of pocket whatever :(

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought you were talking about the website, [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] :D

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
They are a nightmare, for agents (accountants) have to ring the same number for PAYE matters, at least there is a quick agents number for Self Assessment, and 20 minutes is the minimum on hold time whatever time of the day it is.

I think they have a system in place that doesn't put a call through to a human for 20 minutes and then you go into a queue to be answered, I have tried ringing them at 8.15 and late afternoon with the same result.

Even when you get through to them you get a monkey who doesn't know anything so they have to send an internal email to the correct department who will then ring you in 3-4 working days.

Just don't write to them, letters take 6-8 weeks before they are even read.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Maybe they need to think about modernising their systems to help compensate? Also given the political imperative to catch tax dodgers cutting back on staffing in HMRC would seem, at first glance, to be a bit of a false economy??

I believe our Tory overlords think 3000 staff chasing a maximum £2 billion welfare fraud and 250 staff chasing minimum £20 billion tax fraud (possibly £130 billion) is the right balance.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's probably world-wide.

Spent 35 minutes two weeks ago Friday on the line with our own IRS on a tax issue -- super-friendly people, fixed it in about three minutes -- but a long wait.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to sympathise a bit with the HMRC. Had the rug pulled out from under their feet. Staff numbers drop yet I believe it was shown that that was economic stupidity. That is, the more staff the more tax collected that covered the cost of the staff. Secondly, they have massive cut backs so who is going to pay for state of the art voice recognition or even online systems. Personally I have no problem with the online system although readily admit my tax affairs aren't overly complicated.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have to sympathise a bit with the HMRC. Had the rug pulled out from under their feet. Staff numbers drop yet I believe it was shown that that was economic stupidity. That is, the more staff the more tax collected that covered the cost of the staff. Secondly, they have massive cut backs so who is going to pay for state of the art voice recognition or even online systems. Personally I have no problem with the online system although readily admit my tax affairs aren't overly complicated.

I'm not in any way a conspiracy theorist but I do feel the Tories have a policy of cutting back on public services, watching them deteriorate and then proclaiming "Look! We were right! They're totally inefficient!".

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Spent 3hrs and 20 mins on 4 separate calls to the 0300 helpline a couple of weeks ago and have now got my phone bill in. Never got to speak to anyone for my 40 odd quid. I'll knock it off one of my tax bills and see what they say. Tossers.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
If you think the UK is fun try getting involved in the French tax system!!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not in any way a conspiracy theorist but I do feel the Tories have a policy of cutting back on public services, watching them deteriorate and then proclaiming "Look! We were right! They're totally inefficient!".

So that they can be privatised, like the Probation service?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Thats not exactly accurate that HMRC never use the word ''fiscal''

A Fiscal year end in the UK is a 5th April Year End whereas a fiscal year end in the US coincides with the normal Calendar year end of 31st December.

You are correct that these emails are bogus though but i am not sure that Tax Returns will be abolished within 4 years though

Believe me, HMRC do not use the word 'fiscal' re personal tax - unlike the Chancellor who uses it all the time.

This is the same Chancellor who said Tax Returns would be abolished "in this parliament", I.e by 2020/21. He'll no doubt say he's taken some people out of Self- Assessment but this is due to changes he's made to tax rather than changes to the IT / software / procedures. He has no idea how poorly integrated the software is across HMRC.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
with our own IRS on a tax issue -- super-friendly people, fixed it in about three minutes -- but a long wait.

Agreed - always find the IRS very helpful if I have any issues and I always get the State and Federal refund in my bank account within days of filing my return

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I echo the general theme of this thread that getting hold of them is a nightmare, my last experience involved being on hold for 50 minutes, but when you do get through to someone they are very helpful.

They need more staff, simples.

Have to disagree with you there. Recently had dealings with HMRC on behalf of my daughter, who has been given a job 'on a self-employed basis'. It isn't, it's paid employment, but the employer can't be arsed to do the PAYE and wants to dodge employers' contributions to NI.
There is a tool on the website you can use to establish whether it is self-employment or not. I used that to verify my own findings, then phoned HMRC.
The person I spoke to was obviously very annoyed that the phone on his desk had rung and he had to answer it. Not conte3nt with me using the website to establish employment status, I had to go through all the questions again, verbally, with him. At the end, he said, "That's not self employment". I pointed out that I already knew that, and the reason I was phoning was because the employer had told my daughter just to fill out the forms for self employment anyway; everyone else did.
OK, I said, we've established that the employer is in the wrong. What should my daughter do?
"Speak to her employer".
She's done that; he's not budging, so what should she do next?
"Fill in the forms to declare self-employment".
So, the employer's breaking your regulations, what are you going to do about it?
"If we did an inspection and found something amiss we'd take it up with the employer".
So, when are you likely to do an inspection?
"I can't tell you that".
Well, if a breach of the regulations was reported, would you inspect them then?
"It would have to be reported".
I've just done that (details handed over). Now, what are YOU going to do about it?
"I'll pass it on o the relevant section".
And they'll investigate and make an inspection?
"I can't tell you that".

Yep, we certainly get the service the Tories are happy to pay for. I know from sources that billions of unpaid tax are written off each year because there aren't enough resources to chase them up; probably great news for Tories' chums in business and the city. Somebody's breaking the rules? Don't tell us, we're not going to investigate them (unless you're some poor little sole trader struggling to make a living who makes a mistake on his tax returns that we can nail without any fear of a fancy lawyer turning up to give us a hard time).

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I know staff and it's much as said above. The whole eggs are in the 'digital' basket and there will be just a few 'super locations' up North, no more local offices all done on line or on phone. Apparently it's "What the public want", maybe the result of an online survey?

Too many experienced staff have gone, so much so that new, cheaper, staff are taken on and answer your calls, small wonder some knowledge is lacking. Staff are moved off their own roles, like answering post, to tackle phone calls where they may well advise you to write in.

And then they tell me the Performance scheme takes hours as each staff member has to 'self assess' and then there's the 5 days of training they all have to do. Sounds a mess, it is a mess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here