Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hmm now the sun

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Link to The Sun, stopped there.

Sadly intrigue got the better of me and I clicked. I stopped after the sub-headline though. How ****ing patronising is this

WHATEVER happens between now and the end of the season, let’s all applaud the way Brighton have kept pace with Newcastle at the top of the Sky Bet Championship.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
HEADLINE SHOULD READ - Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, let’s all applaud the way Newcastle have kept pace with Brighton at the top of the Sky Bet Championship.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Firstly, after his tenure at the club I can't think there is a BHA fan (now or in the future) that would actively deny CH the opportunity to manage England or any other club in football's higher echelons, if that offer came along. We would have selfish reasons for not wanting it, but deep in our hearts we would know he deserves it (assuming he would want to leave). His lack of ego as a manager is truly humbling when compared with our other successful managers, and if he delivers what he has started since he joined he will have established himself as an Albion legend, surpassing imo the achievements of all his predecessors by a country mile.

As for his skin colour, like you I think it matters, and I say that not because it actually does, but I think we are not far away from a Rooney Rule. The qualification of "black managers", if they have heritage similar to CH would be interesting, in that would it cover both mixed race and nationality.

This may seem like splitting hairs, but should any black candidate like Hasselbaink be on the FA's Rooney list? If the answer is no, due to his nationality, then should British mixed race candidates like Ryan Giggs also be excluded because they played for non English home nations. Not forgetting that the ROI which CH represented is not a home nation.

And if "mixed race/black English" is the qualification, then how mixed race is that to be? Will it be parental or further back? In light of this country's post war demography we are not going to be dealing with binary parental/maternal side influences in ethnicity, and where does that actually get us?

In a time when there are more foreign players and managers working in the English football league system than ever, if Rooney Rule hand ups are to be contemplated there is a lot of devil in the detail.

Brilliant post with an interesting talking point for me especially.

You are correct. ''The Rooney Rule'' will happen. I sort of think it should happen but I am not sure I 100% agree with it. I just wish that it wasn't necessary and that black Managers would get opportunities without being forced to by ''quotas'' but sadly it is necessary.

My concern with the Rooney Rule would be that when Black Managers who fail at a club I would hate to see the press claim that they only got the job because of the ''quota system'' That would be awful if that happens further down the line because Managers fail at clubs for all different reasons and I would hate to see the Rooney Rule blamed for failure. Because indeed most Managers fail. Thats bourne out by the fact by one of the threads on this Forum where CH has jumped up from 92nd longest serving Manager to around 20th I a couple of years.

Now the light hearted bit. No need to worry about Chris being England Manager. He wouldn't want an International Managers job full time. He loves the day to day working environment of Club Management too much. Indeed International Management offers have come his way and been rejected.

The last bit about Balck or Mixed Race Manager - Chris sees himself as a ''Black Manager'' and it is HIS perspective and only HIS perspective on that question that MATTERS.

When we all look back in these issues 20 years from now Chris Hughton will go down in history as having been such a good Manager that his role in bringing Black Managers to the forefront will be looked back on as ground breaking - He may not have been the first, like he was the first black player to play for Ireland but he will have been one of the best Managers, especially since he had to fight for that place so hard.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is he described as either when it doesn't matter? :shrug:

He's just an honest and talented professional who is good at the job he is paid to do.

Absolutely this. It's only when the media point it out that I remember he is not 100% white.

Who cares?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Chris has written articles for the Sun,and Liam Rosenior writes a great column every week.Your loss if you're too blindly prejudiced to read them!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Love that The Sun bill the piece as an "exclusive". There's not a word in there to suggest he's spoken to anybody at the club so I can only imagine these are the exclusive thoughts of Adrian Durham. Hardly earth shattering.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Sadly intrigue got the better of me and I clicked. I stopped after the sub-headline though. How ****ing patronising is this
is Adrian Durham a pseudonym for Nigel Adkins ???

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That article is really badly written. It reads like cliche after cliche after cliche after more cliches after patronising banalities. Abysmal is the sentence construction. Just glad he had a spell chucker to assist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here