Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hmm just been laid off. What to do??? (Serious question)

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Best thing that ever happened to me. I was made redundant almost a year to the day, been in the company for 18 yrs. They did give us almost a year warning though.

I never worried at all, from the moment they told us, I just looked at it as an opportunity to do something new, try something new.

Now, a year later, I have a growing business selling Online, and in Brighton - and now, by chance, a fulltime job has come up locally, paying well, and flexi hours - which enables me to keep building my business alongside the full time work.

I am not naive, and do understand that for a lot of people, being made redundant is a big shock, and finding a new job, that you will be happy in, is very hard, but hopefully getting slightly easier with the economy picking up, but do look at it as an opportunity, or a sign, to go and do something that really excites you. If it fails - it fails, but at least you can look back and say I gave it a go.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Best thing that ever happened to me. I was made redundant almost a year to the day, been in the company for 18 yrs. They did give us almost a year warning though.

I never worried at all, from the moment they told us, I just looked at it as an opportunity to do something new, try something new.

Now, a year later, I have a growing business selling Online, and in Brighton - and now, by chance, a fulltime job has come up locally, paying well, and flexi hours - which enables me to keep building my business alongside the full time work.

I am not naive, and do understand that for a lot of people, being made redundant is a big shock, and finding a new job, that you will be happy in, is very hard, but hopefully getting slightly easier with the economy picking up, but do look at it as an opportunity, or a sign, to go and do something that really excites you. If it fails - it fails, but at least you can look back and say I gave it a go.

Having been in the same business for 30 years plus the first thing I would do if made redundant would be to do something totally different to what I did.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
...only problem being, that I have no idea what that might be.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I remember coming home from work having been in the same industry for 25 years (Supermarket manager) and being really frustrated. i looked in the argus sit vac section and found only 3 jobs that I could realistically apply for: Milkman, Traffic Warden or Driving Instructor. I chose the latter. Trained around job commitments and once qualified, resigned and became a self employed driving instructor. Loved it!

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
UPDATE: I've been ringing around a few places and have a job Interview on Monday at a pub/restaurant In Eastbourne. Just have to touch up my CV before then. Thanks for all the replies too :)

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
UPDATE: I've been ringing around a few places and have a job Interview on Monday at a pub/restaurant In Eastbourne. Just have to touch up my CV before then. Thanks for all the replies too :)

I dont know what level of job you are after in the Restaurant, but I do know that Cosmos in Eastbourne was looking for a Manager a week ago.

Sorry to hear about that! I guess just start looking for work ASAP (Easy to say...) Maybe see what volunteer work you can do in the mean time. As others have said, sign on ASAP too, don't feel embarrassed about it or that you're too good to sign on like some do, you've paid your taxes for times like this...

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
...only problem being, that I have no idea what that might be.

I just kept looking on websites and papers until something interesting caught my eye. I went from Warehouse Manager for almost 20 yrs to working for a business school maintaining and marketing the website and courses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here