Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hitzlsperger

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I've got to say I've not heard homophobic chanting among Brighton fans.

If you have, fair enough - maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Yeovil away, peterborough away, Pompey in the FA cup. Just about ANY match we've had Brighton fans separated in two stands you will hear people singing homophobic chants at the other stand. It's disgusting behaviour and I shudder to think what those homosexuals amongst our own ranks must think whilst this is going on in the 21st century.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I've got to say I've not heard homophobic chanting among Brighton fans.

If you have, fair enough - maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

He's bald, he's bent, his arse is up for rent. Referee, Referee!

Heard on the Northstand at the Goldstone on a few occasions. Probably before Brighton was synonymous with Gayness tbf.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Heard on the Northstand at the Goldstone on a few occasions. Probably before Brighton was synonymous with Gayness tbf.
And a long time ago. Probably not too far from the time monkey sounds were acceptable.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yeovil away, peterborough away, Pompey in the FA cup. Just about ANY match we've had Brighton fans separated in two stands you will hear people singing homophobic chants at the other stand. It's disgusting behaviour and I shudder to think what those homosexuals amongst our own ranks must think whilst this is going on in the 21st century.

Really ? Ive certainly never heard of anything of the like.

Credit for him for coming out, still a small step though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think that the debate about footballers coming out has hit a point whereby many (especially on here) are so indifferent to an individual player's sexuality that it might not cause the media storm at first feared. Of course, there will be trolls and other assorted numpties across social media who are ill-educated enough to feel their ignorance is worth expressing. The true test of the British media's behaviour will be when a Premiership player comes out, and an English one at that.

Are Brighton fans more tolerant of homosexuality because of the city's social reputation? Not sure. I'd like to think it's not relevant.

I'd like to agree with you about people being indifferent but given it's front page news on the BBC website I don't think we're there yet.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd like to agree with you about people being indifferent but given it's front page news on the BBC website I don't think we're there yet.

Because the media want a story, not necessarily because anyone gives a shit.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London

With a World Cup coming up in a country where homosexuality is illegal*, we certainly aren't there yet in the world of football, regardless of how the population in the UK feel about it.

*I'm referring to Qatar, but even before then we've also got one in Russia which isn't exactly in the news for being entirely fair to gay people either...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Good on him but my initial reaction is it's a sad sign of the times that still, it's seen as such a big deal for a player to come out and the fact he also waited until his retirement.

This, basically.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
how do i take that :)
regards
DR

Hattie1.jpg

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

One of the worst chants I ever heard in the north stand was

Justin justin fashanu
Big black Cxxx
From London zoo.

Even in the days of alf Garnett, I still thought that was a bit ott

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Football is so far behind where it needs to be on this issue, clearly there is an issue behind the scenes with this, but luckily with the World Cup being held in Qatar there will be no prospective competitor coming out before then for fear of being arrested!

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
So is he "out" or. "out out " ?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It does make me wonder about sport in general, that it appears sportsmen are afraid, for various reasons to come out, when an awful lot of the nations favourite personalities are openly gay. Graham Norton, Alan Carr, Paul O'grady, andJohn Barryman to mention a few (and I did say the nations, not mine)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here