Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hitch Hikers,pick them up,or run them over.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I wouls always pick them up if I was on my own - but not with wife and/or kids in the car.

Unless they look REALLY smelly - then I might give them a miss.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Picked one up and ended up driving him to his front door which was a couple of miles out of my way. I was early for something and thought I might as well do my one good deed for my life.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Used to hitch all over the place in my yoof, even down to the Goldstone on occasion, in the days before I could afford to run or drive a car.

Sometimes pick up hitch-hikers, depends on my mood and what they look like.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hitched from Nottingham to Geneva once - our Uni did a sponsored 24 hour getaway for Rag Week. We won. :clap2:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I always pick them up - I always think if it were me or a member of my family someone would help me/them out.

My Mum, however, picked up a pisshead + his mate 2 years ago around midnight :dunce: & phoned me up to say; *"Hi, Ed, are you off duty?".

She then dropped her phone & kept talking, which revealed her location. (Crowborough Army camp).

I was there like a shot - but gave her one hell of a bollicking for doing that.

A lesson to be learnt there, ladies. (hitching or picking up).

(* She had told them I was a copper).

stoke

Jan 14, 2005
Hitch hikers seem few and far between nowadays but I used to hitch regulary so I would be inclined to pick them up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't drive so I don't have to make the choice...but I would if I could.

I used to hitch-hike all over the place when I was a student - got down to the Goldstone from Bradford a few times. I did persuade my dad that he should pick them up in return for the number of free lifts I got.

Eddie, were you a copper 20 odd years ago? I remember being picked up by a copper from Crowborough when I was hitching home once.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm just like you Gwylan. I don't drive, and used to hitch.

I tried a couple of years ago, to see if I could get to Dover, but after two hours gave up. I feel we now live in a climate of fear, and hitching is one of those little thing that have gone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I hitched once in my 30s. I had a row with my then girlfriend at her parents' house. I stormed out of their house to go back to London and that's when it sunk in that I was in the middle of Wales, it was Sunday morning and there was no public transport for four hours. I had three choices: go back and eat humble pie, hang around in the cold for four hours, or thumb it. I thumbed it.

I managed to get to Cardiff in about 90 minutes, which wasn't too bad - it was good to know that hitching still worked.

I often have the idea of doing it again to see what happens. Maybe I'll pick a fight with Mrs G to see what happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here