Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hit the poorest the hardest - is this really what people voted for?

NICE TO SEE THE COALITION IS ALREADY TRYING TO ENTRENCH POVERTY

The coalition government is to scrap Labour's plan to extend free school meals to primary school pupils from low-income working families, in a move anti-poverty campaigners claim could saddle poor families with the equivalent of a £600-a-year tax hike.

In the Pre-Budget Report, the previous administration had pledged to extend free school meals to around 500,000 children in families with a household income of below £16,190 - initially piloting this scheme for up to 50 per cent of eligible pupils from this year. Free school meal entitlement currently ends when a family moves off employment benefits into low-paid employment.
Schools secretary Michael Gove revealed that the new Government would not honour Labour's pledge in an open letter to shadow schools secretary Ed Balls setting out how his department would make its £670 million contribution to the £6.2 billion deficit reduction plan announced by the Treasury last month.
The letter said: "I am committed to reviewing all the department's spending in order to ensure that we are not making unaffordable promises for the future, and that spending is focussed on priorities that best support the coalition government's two primary educational objectives - raising standards for all and narrowing the gap between rich and poor.
"I have therefore decided that we will not be able to proceed with the additional free school meal pilots or the extension of free school meals to larger numbers of primary schoolchildren this year."
Child poverty campaigners have hit out at the decision, claiming that suspending the support for these families is equivalent to subjecting them to a £600-a-year income tax hike.
Imran Hussain, head of policy, rights and advocacy at the Child Poverty Action Group, said: "The support of free school meals would have lifted 50,000 children out of poverty, the Treasury has said. Suspending this support is the equivalent of at least a one per cent income tax hike per child for the families it was meant to help.
"We were told by the work and pensions secretary that it was wrong that families trying to move off benefits face effective tax rates of up to 95 per cent, so we are stunned the Government is shelving plans to address this problem. It is completely at odds with the coalition's commitment to end child poverty by 2020. The decision must be urgently reviewed."

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
All those pensioners who voted for the tories starting to feel a bit sick now having heard of the plans... my mother included.

D

Deleted User X18H

Nasty old Tories. How dare they not spend millions the country doesn't have.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

The coalition government is to scrap Labour's plan to extend free school meals to primary school pupils from low-income working families, in a move anti-poverty campaigners claim could saddle poor families with the equivalent of a £600-a-year tax hike.

If it was such a great, essential idea why didn't Labour get around to it whilst still in power?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Wonder how the Lib Dems in the government will spin this one. Must be hard having to desert your principles on a daily basis.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
17 pages
4 flounces
7 death threats
304,596 uses of the word "scroungers"
273,967 uses of the word "handouts"
132,876 sentences starting with the words "I don't pay my taxes so that some bloody...."

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
did anyone really expect anything else
and I have noticed shameron had you know who to tea yesterday
yep someone voted them in, unfortunately we all have to put up with this lot until the coalition implodes or the next election

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
There is no money to pay for things like this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

How does that work out?

Labour planned to introduce it, so it isn't in place yet.

Con/Dem are scrapping the plan, meaning everything stays as it is.

Why is there a £600 hike?

larus

did anyone really expect anything else
and I have noticed shameron had you know who to tea yesterday
yep someone voted them in, unfortunately we all have to put up with this lot until the coalition implodes or the next election

Well, hopefully by then the countries finances won't be fuc*ed. Mind you, it's going to take a lot to remove all the years of Labour crap.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
quite interesting to hear first hand that since Jamie Oliver tried to improve the health of the great chav nation we have, school dinners attendance in local schools have dropped 42%

mars bars and a packet of crisps though is a regular lunchbox seemly

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yes, yes, let us all moan because "new" Labour have spent all of the money, and much more besides, and someone is having to get a grip of things at last!

I just hope they do the job properly, and stop all of this walfare state dependancy.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Lets hope they start targeting the correct people in the next round, the people screwing the state out of millions of pounds of benefit each year.

Is is also fair to say that anyone wishing to work in the UK pay a bit of extra tax to help towards our national debt.
The most important things to look after here is the 1.NHS and Emergency Services, 2.Schools.

I have this real bad feeling that they have not dropped the bomb on us yet.

Last edited:

How does that work out?

Labour planned to introduce it, so it isn't in place yet.

Con/Dem are scrapping the plan, meaning everything stays as it is.

Why is there a £600 hike?

These were exactly my thoughts when I read the OP. It's not a hike; what it is is not giving a £600 tax break that Labour promised knowing was unaffordable, but also knowing that they wouldn't have to honour.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

In the Pre-Budget Report, the previous administration had pledged to extend free school meals to around 500,000 children in families with a household income of below £16,190 - initially piloting this scheme for up to 50 per cent of eligible pupils from this year. Free school meal entitlement currently ends when a family moves off employment benefits into low-paid employment.
Schools secretary Michael Gove revealed that the new Government would not honour Labour's pledge in an open letter to shadow schools secretary Ed Balls setting out how his department would make its £670 million contribution to the £6.2 billion deficit reduction plan announced by the Treasury last month.
The letter said: "I am committed to reviewing all the department's spending in order to ensure that we are not making unaffordable promises for the future, and that spending is focussed on priorities that best support the coalition government's two primary educational objectives - raising standards for all and narrowing the gap between rich and poor.
"I have therefore decided that we will not be able to proceed with the additional free school meal pilots or the extension of free school meals to larger numbers of primary schoolchildren this year."
Child poverty campaigners have hit out at the decision, claiming that suspending the support for these families is equivalent to subjecting them to a £600-a-year income tax hike.
Imran Hussain, head of policy, rights and advocacy at the Child Poverty Action Group, said: "The support of free school meals would have lifted 50,000 children out of poverty, the Treasury has said. Suspending this support is the equivalent of at least a one per cent income tax hike per child for the families it was meant to help.
"We were told by the work and pensions secretary that it was wrong that families trying to move off benefits face effective tax rates of up to 95 per cent, so we are stunned the Government is shelving plans to address this problem. It is completely at odds with the coalition's commitment to end child poverty by 2020. The decision must be urgently reviewed."

Is it that some people are totally oblivious and non believing that we are in a humungous debt and that something has to be done about it now before we end up in a Greece like situation or much worse.

Do you not watch the news? Listen to the radio? Read the papers? Are you in total denial about the dire (and frankly desperate) financial situation we as a country are in after the last 13 years of Labour rule! Someone needs to do something about this now and it is going to blooming hurt all of us. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here