Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hit/caught/headed ball in the stand? Join the OFFICIAL squad of unsung Albion "players".

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Stray shots during the warm up don't count.

On February 8th, our next home game, I suspect the players might need to be wary of the stray ball from Jason Puncheon's penalty.

However, I still bear the scar across the bridge of my nose from when the ball hit me straight in the face in 1983. It was during the warm-up, and I was down at the front of the Goldstone North Stand, and was nose-up against the perimeter fence when the ball hit me, digging the fence into my nose.

OP said warm up's don't count.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
OP said warm up's don't count.

In a frivolous act of outrageous generosity, I decree that all stories of being hit by a ball during the warm up shall now be deemed acceptable.

Let us rejoice. :ascarf:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I was about 10 deep standing in the West (S) at The Goldstone when a ball flew in at a fair pace. I heroically punched in back onto the pitch and took the praise from all around.
My wrist hurt for a good week afterwards

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Where's Keith Cuss when you need him, eh?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sometime in the eighties I think, a friend of mine got the ball in the old north stand just after halftime. The crowd was not packed that day and he subsequently took a run up to try to kick it back on goalie style. I remember shouting 'No!' as I could see what would happen, but it was too late, he smashed the ball into the back of the bloke standing in front of him. He was pretty p*ssed off as apart from the indignity of it all, had been eating a pie, and much of the contents had been displaced upon his chin. So on behalf of my friend, I would like to apologise for that rash act.

"My friend" :lolol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
At Gay Meadow, Shrewsbury.

I chucked the ball back into play after the seat next to me was destroyed by a Steve Anthrobus clearance. I remember who it was as I'd been taking the piss out of him (can't remember why) for most the game. Cue even more Anthrobus baiting.

:)

Does that count?

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
At the Goldstone 1983. We were 2-0 up against Shrewsbury when I caught the ball in the East Stand. We went on to draw 2-2.

I vowed never to touch the ball again in a game after that and I never have since.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I caught a six at Hove once.

Actually, on reflection, it might have been a Twix.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I don't head the ball, even as a player I'm only good with the ball at my feet, usually because only being 5'6 means that everyone beats me in the air! Not a Brighton game, but an Eastbourne Borough game the ball was chipped over the bar, and I side volleyed it back.

Jul 7, 2003
As a former goalkeeper I took a clean catch in the Withdean South Stand a few years ago. Nice safe hands not only to claim the ball but also to protect the old lady who sat behind me.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Well after reading through this thread have felt compelled to make a rare post. Have touched the ball at least 3 times over the years - most recently at Falmer, can't remember who against, but sit in the Lower West 20 rows back nearer to the North. As anyone near us knows, the ball hardly ever comes that far back but one week, the opposition full back had displayed his safety first clearance policy more than once and it finally landed right with me for a throw back.
Back at the Goldstone I caught one in the South Stand just to the side of the goal, but my most memorable was away at Mansfield back in 1977. It was near the start of the season and both teams had come up from the old third division with Mansfield champions having not lost at home all that previous season. We were 2-1 in front with minutes left and the ball sailed in behind the goal we were defending. The ball ended up under my feet and I just kept it there, and we started singing, quite childishly, we've got the ball, we've got the ball etc. Anyway 2 local police decided to barge in and retrieve it (I surrendered it quite easily, I'm no hard man!) and just to emphasis the point as one of them threw it back he just looked at me and said "poof!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here