Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Historic Brighton Pubs

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
My nan's family were pub landlords theyv ran the Black Lion pub on Preston road back in the late 1880,s. Sadly the pub is no more there is a garage on the site now. Opposite the Brewery Tap.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Was called The White Crow
Edit - I think it might have been demolished now.

Still there but called The Hub, according to Google Earth.
I think that pub has had a few names since The Allen Arms.

The Vougue Cinema was demolished but not the pub which was next door.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Me and my mate once tried to visit every pub within a mile radius (or half a mile, not sure now) of the Clock Tower in a week - we reckoned that there were 85. We failed, partly because this was when they shut at 3pm, so we had a four hour wait and we just fell asleep.... Quite a lot of them have gone.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Four pubs in a central location no longer there...

Running Horse, King Street.

jg_25_030.jpg

The Wheatsheaf Inn, Bond Street

jg_25_062.jpg

The Canteen, corner of Robert Street and Gloucester Road.

jg_25_181.jpg

The Gasfitters Arms, Tidy Street

jg_25_226.jpg

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Running Horse, King Street Closed 1964, demolished two years later site now under the NCP car park

jg_25_030.jpg

The Wheatsheaf Inn, Bond Street Closed 1970-71, now a shop

jg_25_062.jpg

The Canteen, corner of Robert Street and Gloucester Road.Closed 1963 demolished to make way for an extension of the Argus building.

jg_25_181.jpg

The Gasfitters Arms, Tidy Street It's the Brazen Star in the 1859 list, closed in 1922 became a warehouse now a residence

jg_25_226.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is a great thread.

I don't remember any of those pubs although three of them were in existence during my lifetime

We should have more threads on Brighton pubs

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Running Horse, King Street Closed 1964, demolished two years later site now under the NCP car park

jg_25_030.jpg

Tsk, I know it can get boring to bemoan the unnecessary destruction of great old buildings but in the case of that crappy, useless, poxy little car park that's there now and when you see what a nice, Georgian street King Street was with a lovely pub like that, it is a tragedy really.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There is also this place - The Flying Dutchman on the corner of Elm Grove and Howard Road...

jg_27_002.jpg

... with the same corner nowadays.

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 17.43.08.png

The one in Church Street must have changed its name at some point as before it was the Earth and Stars it was called the Windsor Tavern. Perhaps they changed it to avoid confusion with the other Windsor Castle? Great picture by the way.

Edit: I've just seen your post mentioning the name change!

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don't suppose anybody's got any photos of ye olde Brighton punk pubs of yesteryear such as the Buccaneer and the Alhambra? Used to go to those all the time but have a complete mental blank as to what they looked like.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Don't suppose anybody's got any photos of ye olde Brighton punk pubs of yesteryear such as the Buccaneer and the Alhambra? Used to go to those all the time but have a complete mental blank as to what they looked like.

no photos but , The Buccaneer had red and white signage , in the old "Watneys "font , close yer eyes and youll remember ,,,

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

no photos but , The Buccaneer had red and white signage , in the old "Watneys "font , close yer eyes and youll remember ,,,

I have seen a photo of punks outside The Buccaneer, I am going back to around 1978 but I have seen one.
Don't think I've seen it on here it was probably in the Argus.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
I have seen a photo of punks outside The Buccaneer, I am going back to around 1978 but I have seen one.
Don't think I've seen it on here it was probably in the Argus.

Buccaneer West Street? It was the one I remember people often said it had kicked off at when you got to the match. Is the Derek Carver in the Lanes still going?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here