Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Hiring a car abroad

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Travelling to Spain in a couple of weeks with the strife and two kids, and we’re going to need a car. It’s been a little while since I hired a car abroad, with the kids and for an extended period anyway, so thought I’d reach out once more to the NSC massive for a bit of sage advice.

What things do I need to watch out for? Most of the big rental companies (Hertz, Enterprise et al) seem to offer a collision damage waiver, but most still have an excess north of a grand. You can wipe the excess out for several hundred quid, which seems to defeat the object.

I know you can purchase third-party excess waivers for less than a hundred quid, but how do these work in practice? Presumably, this won’t prevent the rental company from slapping a couple of grand charge on your credit card just in case - is this avoidable?

What sort of fuel policy do I want to be looking for?

Any other tips? Seems to be one of those things which is unnecessarily complex with huge scope to get yourself ripped off if you’re not careful.

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
Hi where in Spain are you going?

The third party excess waivers work like this (in theory)

- You pick up the car with an (eg) €1000 deposit, after refusing their hard sell
- You return the car, and if they find a "mysterious" scratch they will keep most of the deposit.
- You ask them for a receipt/invoice for this scratch.
- You then send this to your 3rd party excess waiver company and its refunded.

The drawback to third party excess waivers is some smaller companies can refuse to send proof , you then have to try the chargeback/section 75 route on your credit card.

I recommend Zest Car Rental (google it) , they have helped me before with issues. They act as a go between yourself and the hire company.

If going to the Canaries, I recommend Autoreisen and Cicar (No excess, full insurance)

Check out trip advisor forums for the resort you are going to, people will have recommendations and comments.

Obviously, avoid Goldcar and Greenmotion!

Good Luck !

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Thanks. Flying into Alicante so ideally wanted something on site at the airport. Will take a look at your recommendations.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Avoid TopCar - they're in Tenerife so maybe elsewhere in Spain, but never again! Thank GOD we did a walkaround, as we picked up the car after closing time - someone has actually crashed the car whilst parking it at the airport so it was dented and scratched before we even opened the door!

If I did have to, depending on price, I'd just do their CDW instead of go via the broker / 3rd party excess route - much less hassle. I think overall, for the amount of stress caused, I'd rather just suck it up and pay the extra £10 a day or whatever than spend a couple of weeks panicking after dropping it off. That goes for any company now, no matter how reputable they are.

Shouldn't be several hundred quid for the CDW excess waiver - that seems excessive, unless you're going for a month?

Fuel policy, just ask for it to be full on collection and then return it full yourself, make sure you do top up (or else they can charge whatever the like per litre), and make sure you keep the receipt showing where and when you topped up!

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
I think 3rd party is more hassle than it is worth. As others have said, you will still need to have a shadow payment on your card and then go through the hassle of reclaiming through your third party. I think it is so much easier to use the full cover option from the people you are hiring from, that way you can just drop the car off and not have to worry....and no shadow payment.
I have used Coys many times, but not since Covid, and found them great. Not based at the airport, but were always there to meet me.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was looking this up for a possible three week trip to Murcia (put on hold when we made Europe but don't tell the wife). It was cheaper to drive our own car out to Spain for the three weeks than fly and hire a car.
Having had my fingers burnt once in Tenerife by a hire company I'd never trust them again.

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
I was looking this up for a possible three week trip to Murcia (put on hold when we made Europe but don't tell the wife). It was cheaper to drive our own car out to Spain for the three weeks than fly and hire a car.
Having had my fingers burnt once in Tenerife by a hire company I'd never trust them again.
My in-laws @murciagull live in Murcia and drove over to the UK last Christmas. They said when you take into account thing like food, hotels, fuel and tolls, it is not cheaper than flying, but wanted to do it for the experience.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I hired one in Majorca through the hotel. Expensive (but not extortionate), but the benefit of this hire was that all damage was covered by the hire company and so any new damage, real or imaginary, cost me nothing. (The car had scuffs and scratches on all four corners, but it was a very nice car to drive!) Another benefit, we could have it only on the days we wanted it and not pay for the blank days.

Tip - make sure your driving licence hasn't expired. My brother's had!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Heard lots of bad things about Gold Car but my son-in-law uses them regularly. They are cheap and as long as you take out their insurance there is no hassle. The problem comes when you want the cheap rental car but without their insurance. I think it’s a loss leader maybe? Not recommending anything just saying he has not had the grief I have heard about from others.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
icarinsurance.com. I have renewed this every year and works out at about £38 this year for any one claim up to £5000. Never had to use it (yet) and just show the hire company the document. One desk at Dublin said it's not legal, we had a differing of opinion but they still ended up not getting the excess waiver money. As above I ALWAYS video the car before and after.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My in-laws @murciagull live in Murcia and drove over to the UK last Christmas. They said when you take into account thing like food, hotels, fuel and tolls, it is not cheaper than flying, but wanted to do it for the experience.
A lot depends on how long you intend staying for, my trip was to be 3 weeks. These were my calculations for a one way journey of 1250 miles taking 18 hours thus overnight in France
Ferry / Tunnel £100
Fuel £260
Overnight hotel in France £100
Tolls £100
£560 or even £650 gets me, my wife and Land Rover to my holiday.
Add return you could be looking at £1300 tops. Compare that to flights (23k bags) and small car hire.
When I was much younger (1990's) I lived in Majorca and drove back to England in a day!! Ferry to Barca docked early morning and, in my little Citroen AX, drove like mad. Only once mind alone. Other times with family and always overnight stay.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Heard lots of bad things about Gold Car but my son-in-law uses them regularly. They are cheap and as long as you take out their insurance there is no hassle. The problem comes when you want the cheap rental car but without their insurance. I think it’s a loss leader maybe? Not recommending anything just saying he has not had the grief I have heard about from others.
When we lived in Spain I always steered people away from Goldcar at Málaga, queues could be horrendous and they were a bit dodgy but the last couple of times I've been back I've used them (because they're cheap!) and they've been OK. Check the fuel level on pick up, though.....ours was supposed to be full but was only 7/8. Could have been their mistake but I suspect there may be a nice little scam going on there😂

papachris

I strongly suggest taking out car hire insurance. I pay £44 for a year. Unlimited hires. Maximum single hire is 6 months.
Basically if something happens and I lose all or part of my £1100 deposit I can claim back from my insurance.
I hire cars a lot so saves me fortune. Worldwide as well.
Also get the rentalcars.com app for all the best deals. I am normally paying around £40 for a week (small car) from Alicante airport

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Travelling to Spain in a couple of weeks with the strife and two kids, and we’re going to need a car. It’s been a little while since I hired a car abroad, with the kids and for an extended period anyway, so thought I’d reach out once more to the NSC massive for a bit of sage advice.

What things do I need to watch out for? Most of the big rental companies (Hertz, Enterprise et al) seem to offer a collision damage waiver, but most still have an excess north of a grand. You can wipe the excess out for several hundred quid, which seems to defeat the object.

I know you can purchase third-party excess waivers for less than a hundred quid, but how do these work in practice? Presumably, this won’t prevent the rental company from slapping a couple of grand charge on your credit card just in case - is this avoidable?

What sort of fuel policy do I want to be looking for?

Any other tips? Seems to be one of those things which is unnecessarily complex with huge scope to get yourself ripped off if you’re not careful.
Buy annual CDW insurance before you go. It should only cost you £40/50 max for the full year in Europe. I have had it every year except the Covid years and had to claim twice (once my fault and once because the rental company made a claim up because I refused to but their CDW). Both time paid up with no fuss. I used icar insurance. I have just checked and mine was £64.99 in April for the year, but only because I went for the worldwide cover.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Another warning about Gold Car - check prospective hire companies aren't part of GC. Also ensure you check and agree the condition of the car before stepping into it and driving off. Pictures/video of the walk round of the car might be worthwhile.
Ditto! Also trading as Rhodaus Cars? Con artists....

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
icarinsurance.com. I have renewed this every year and works out at about £38 this year for any one claim up to £5000. Never had to use it (yet) and just show the hire company the document. One desk at Dublin said it's not legal, we had a differing of opinion but they still ended up not getting the excess waiver money. As above I ALWAYS video the car before and after.
Another vote for icarinsurance by me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here