Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hip Hop is 40 years old this week

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Wham! and NWA are my favourites.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
MC Miker G and Deejay Sven "Holiday Rap" has never been bettered. John Barnes a close second.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Grand master
Public enemy
del a soul
nwa(my fav) she s thinking lobster na im thinking burger king! Track i ain t the one
wu tang
J 5
Ice cube
beastie boyz
MC HAMMER LOL

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Wu Tang. Great call, SJ. And UK based got to have Roots Manuva. And my all time favourite hip hop tune is Japanese: Return of the Original Art Form by Hiroshi/KUDO/DJ Milo. Unbelievable, this tune. Still blows me away.

[yt]ryBVFWd-pxg[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Favourite hip hop album is a toss up between Pharcyde's 'Bizarre Ride...' Or Mos Def 'Black Album' or 'Nation Of Millions...' or '3 Feet High...' or the quite brilliant 'Crying Over Pros For No Reason' by edIT. And I have a big soft spot for the Public Enemy soundtrack to 'He Got Game'.

I'm not sure if DJ Shadow or Unkle or the trip-hop genre is still technically under this heading otherwise my list would be as long as your arm.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Peter Rock
Early Nas
East Flatbush Project (not prolific, but this guys productions are hard to beat)
Gang starr

UK based:
Skinnyman
Klashnekoff
Lewis Parker (not very well known for some reason, but imo the best producer/rapper in the UK)

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
King Shameek, Twin Hype, Gang Starr, De la Soul, ATCQ, Jungle Bros, Dilated Peoples, DJ Babu - all good.

And now Action Bronson...

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
There is just too many ! NWA, Eazy E., the Beastie Boys, Biggie Smalls, Tupac, Eminem, Cypress Hill, Nate Dog, Warren G, Snoop, Dre, Public Enemy ........too many to choose !

Last edited:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
pack it up pack it in, let me begin....... seriously, my Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on The Wheels of Steel 12" (you say, you say, you say, you say, one for trouble two for the time come on girl lets have a GOOD TIME....... ) is a highlight of my frankly awesome vinyl collection.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Peter Rock
Early Nas
East Flatbush Project (not prolific, but this guys productions are hard to beat)
Gang starr

UK based:
Skinnyman
Klashnekoff
Lewis Parker (not very well known for some reason, but imo the best producer/rapper in the UK)

Did you ever listen to task force?

Klashnekoff was brilliant and no doubt I will get slated for this but

Dizze Rascals first album was brilliant 10 years old now.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Did you ever listen to task force?

Klashnekoff was brilliant and no doubt I will get slated for this but

Dizze Rascals first album was brilliant 10 years old now.

Yup i do like a bit of Taskforce.

Shouldnt be slated for that at all, maybe i am biased, but Grime is the music i listen to most (along with Reggae), and no im not a chav. But Dizzee back in the day was amazing. The sets on Rinse FM et al, when he was in Roll Deep and after that period with Newham Generals are some of my favorite musical memories. The guy was so talented lyrically and production wise also (he produced every track on 'boy in the corner' bar one song). Shame he seriously went off the boil after his second album.
Grime as a genre as a whole alas gets some undeserved flack, being seen as music for chavs and uneducated 'yutes', when infact alot of the MC's and producers are extremley talented and intelligent individuals.
I guess the same with Raskit, but the genre has kind of died recently, but i still listen to the Old Skool stuff regularly. I am just glad i am old enough to remember when it was good and was able to attend alot of the events when it was still an underground genre.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Yup i do like a bit of Taskforce.

Shouldnt be slated for that at all, maybe i am biased, but Grime is the music i listen to most (along with Reggae), and no im not a chav. But Dizzee back in the day was amazing. The sets on Rinse FM et al, when he was in Roll Deep and after that period with Newham Generals are some of my favorite musical memories. The guy was so talented lyrically and production wise also (he produced every track on 'boy in the corner' bar one song). Shame he seriously went off the boil after his second album.
Grime as a genre as a whole alas gets some undeserved flack, being seen as music for chavs and uneducated 'yutes', when infact alot of the MC's and producers are extremley talented and intelligent individuals.
I guess the same with Raskit, but the genre has kind of died recently, but i still listen to the Old Skool stuff regularly. I am just glad i am old enough to remember when it was good and was able to attend alot of the events when it was still an underground genre.

yeah the old dizzee was dope mate, it was more garage than grime wasnt it. i used to love garage mc's like (yes i know) so solid, heartless and pay as you go etc. i remember listening to diz on pirate radio, then when his album dropped it had verses form them sets on there, was dope... you could say his album was the first step garage made into the grime scene

some of my favorite uk rappers dont hardly even rap anymore, klash, skinny, jehst and doc brown, thank god lowkey still does his thing.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
My all time favourite hip hop album and one of my favourite ever albums regardless of genre is Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here