Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Higher away ticket prices next season

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If it does happen it's such a p**s take considering all the cost of living problems

It could be argued that football is a luxury, and away games even more so. The ticket cost is often quite a small component of the total cost of the day. Clubs might, for this reason, take a chance on increasing prices. It would though be a risky commercial decision. It’s not a piss take though because you can choose not to go to football whereas you can’t choose not to eat or heat your house.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It could be argued that football is a luxury, and away games even more so. The ticket cost is often quite a small component of the total cost of the day. Clubs might, for this reason, take a chance on increasing prices. It would though be a risky commercial decision. It’s not a piss take though because you can choose not to go to football whereas you can’t choose not to eat or heat your house.

The £30 cap is going to be confirmed (again) at the next shareholders meeting, and Albion froze their season tickets for next season even with high inflation. Perhaps they are already too high but Albion at least really aren’t taking a chance on increasing prices…this thread title is very misleading.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The £30 cap is going to be confirmed (again) at the next shareholders meeting, and Albion froze their season tickets for next season even with high inflation. Perhaps they are already too high but Albion at least really aren’t taking a chance on increasing prices…this thread title is very misleading.

Indeed. I was just doing a ‘what if’ to the fake news.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
and a simple "?" at the end of the thread title would have made it accurate, but less provocative.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
As in previous seasons - so to suggest it’s “dwindling “ is not correct.

I suspect there has been some dwindling but that probably started after year 1 or 2 i.e. pretty sure we took 3k to Liverpool, Manu and City in the first year in PL but not last year, though I would have thought our away attendances rose a bit last year.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I suspect there has been some dwindling but that probably started after year 1 or 2 i.e. pretty sure we took 3k to Liverpool, Manu and City in the first year in PL but not last year, though I would have thought our away attendances rose a bit last year.

Both Man U and Man C were rearranged to mid week fixtures last season which would have a huge bearing on sales.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Train prices are a bigger constraint.

This. The trains for Leeds were absolutely ridiculous otherwise we would have gone. I don't currently drive and my lad is sick on coaches, but I've always gone either on trains or, sometimes in the old days, in a minibus with a group of mates. Even split tickets worked out over £200 for me and the lad together.

Unless you're an uber fan in the top tier there's no point booking train tickets before the points bands come out, by when all the cheap offers are gone.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
In London we sold out but elsewhere up north like leeds, wolves, Leicester etc, we sold out a reduced allocation

Ah I get you. I don't travel away much anymore but I remember a fair amount of grumbling about barber taking a reduced allocation when we couldve sold more, though!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This. The trains for Leeds were absolutely ridiculous otherwise we would have gone. I don't currently drive and my lad is sick on coaches, but I've always gone either on trains or, sometimes in the old days, in a minibus with a group of mates. Even split tickets worked out over £200 for me and the lad together.

Unless you're an uber fan in the top tier there's no point booking train tickets before the points bands come out, by when all the cheap offers are gone.

£200? We went via Doncaster and cost from KX was about £55. Add in about £12 for the return to KX on Thameslink. That said, I agree trains direct to Leeds were a lot more.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
£200? We went via Doncaster and cost from KX was about £55. Add in about £12 for the return to KX on Thameslink. That said, I agree trains direct to Leeds were a lot more.

Interesting. I only planned a direct route. I'll have to get a bit more creative on split tickets and trainline.

That said, you seem to go everywhere, so presumably booked those early, and doubling both of those, because there's two of us, is nearly £140. Can't do that week in, week out.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting. I only planned a direct route. I'll have to get a bit more creative on split tickets and trainline.

That said, you seem to go everywhere, so presumably booked those early, and doubling both of those, because there's two of us, is nearly £140. Can't do that week in, week out.

We do travel to most but in terms of booking, we book when we know we've got match tickets which is about a month before. In the good old days you could book advance tickets three months prior to a game but too many get rearranged now.

That said, this year has been pretty dire for train travel as, apart from the London games, I can't think of one away journey that hasn't been affected by engineering works.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
We've come to the end of the season and with no confirmation of the £30 cap being renewed beyond This season, I'm assuming we might have to pay a lot more for away games next season.

Huge shame if this is the case, our away support recently has been dwindling a little bit so this could shatter the away attendances for us and all around the pl

note: title is misleading apologies and anyway looks like ticket prices will remain the same as per other posters

I don’t think a Say £5 increase is going to ‘shatter’ the away attendances those that want to go to an away game (drink a pint less saves the money) - cost of getting there and other cost of living will have a bigger impact

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don’t think a Say £5 increase is going to ‘shatter’ the away attendances those that want to go to an away game (drink a pint less saves the money) - cost of getting there and other cost of living will have a bigger impact

£5 a pint! I'm guessing you've not bought a round in Burnley!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here