Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hidden expenses of buying property?

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I've seen a flat I'd like to buy and just about enough have for a deposit and agreement in principle. Do I need a solicitor, survey etc and if so how much would that cost?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Most lenders are asking for a EICR (electrical cert) an additional cost even if the sale collapses. I do loads for house purchasers these days.
I would say about 2k for everything else as a rough estimate.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've seen a flat I'd like to buy and just about enough have for a deposit and agreement in principle. Do I need a solicitor, survey etc and if so how much would that cost?
Yes and yes - You should be allowing a minimum of a couple of thousand for those. Don't forget moving costs although you may be able to that yourselves. Also just consider furniture, stuff for bathrooms, kitchen etc, things you need or need to do before you can move it.

Oh, and when you get the survey, don't panic - It may say things like "There are no signs of a volcano in the area, so far as we can see"

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Freehold or leasehold- will make a difference to your outgoings, insurances and responsibility for maintenance. You should get searches done at least.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You certainly need a solicitor but you don’t have to go with a local one. Everything is done online these days so there is no excuse for regionally differentiated pricing. In Brighton their fees will be over inflated. Ring around for quotes. I would always pay for a survey and if it’s a flat then get the whole building surveyed as well as you will be liable for a portion of repairs. You also need to factor in stamp duty.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Depends a bit on age of the property, but I’d always recommend getting a full survey rather than the minimum. They don’t come cheap!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Do a lot of research and make sure your solicitor get last 3 years service charge accounts and read them carefully, makes sure decent sinking fund, if the lease allows one, to cover future large repair costs. You should be aware buying a leasehold flat will bring a yearly service charge costs of anywhere between £500 and £1500

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Stamp duty
I'm taking a bit of a punt here but I suspect @pocketseagull is a first time buyer and also the flat he's buying is less than £425k - so no Stamp Duty.

As for costs :

Solicitor ( you will need one ) = £1k you'll need to provide some cash upfront for "sundries" normally around £350

Survey - your lender will do a valuation survey most likely for free or in the mortgage fee. You then have the choice of getting a buyers survey - Level 2 or Level 3. Cost will depend on the age of building and type of flat - i.e. purpose built or converted. You should allow an £1k for this although you don't HAVE to have one. But consider this, you're spending the biggest amount of money you've ever spent so far, why take the risk of not knowing all the in's and out's of the property your buying ?

Moving costs - every one goes "oh, I'll do it myself". It's not as easy as you may think. Also, you probably still need to hire a van, buy packing boxes and bubble wrap etc.

Don't forget, if you're renting ( which I'm guessing you are ) then you won't get your deposit back for a while so don't rely on that to cover these costs.

If you're selling, which I don't think you are, then there are more costs as well.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You should be aware buying a leasehold flat will bring a yearly service charge costs of anywhere between £500 and £1500
And the freeholder can come and ask for more if the maintenance fund is short.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Most lenders are asking for a EICR (electrical cert) an additional cost even if the sale collapses. I do loads for house purchasers these days.
Surely that's a cost to the seller ? Much like an EPC.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
You certainly need a solicitor but you don’t have to go with a local one. Everything is done online these days so there is no excuse for regionally differentiated pricing. In Brighton their fees will be over inflated. Ring around for quotes. I would always pay for a survey and if it’s a flat then get the whole building surveyed as well as you will be liable for a portion of repairs. You also need to factor in stamp duty.
you get what you pay for. Yes, a local solicitor will be more expensive but a lot of the cheaper options will not carry out full searches and will instead do the minimum required and simply insure other things should the worst happen.
If you are spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on a property i would not skimp on a good solicitor and survey.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
We are in the process of buying a new place atm. Everything including solicitor fees, stamp duty, search fees, surveys, land registration and everything for selling our house and buying the new one is around £15k.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yes and yes - You should be allowing a minimum of a couple of thousand for those. Don't forget moving costs although you may be able to that yourselves. Also just consider furniture, stuff for bathrooms, kitchen etc, things you need or need to do before you can move it.

Oh, and when you get the survey, don't panic - It may say things like "There are no signs of a volcano in the area, so far as we can see"
"...but we didn't lift the carpets, so you may actually have free geo-thermal underfloor heating". o_O

Our surveyor assumed our house (built around 2000) had cavity wall insulation. It didn't. :mad:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Do your own homework Re build

iggest hidden expense I've experienced is my first flat which was a leasehold . . . . Freeholders and managing agents had a license to extract money. . . That was 25-30 years ago.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
"...but we didn't lift the carpets, so you may actually have free geo-thermal underfloor heating". o_O

Our surveyor assumed our house (built around 2000) had cavity wall insulation. It didn't. :mad:
My old house was built in 1730, the only cavity was the living room . . . Walls were over a foot thick

THe current Zefarelly Towers is the first house I've had with cavity walls!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
you get what you pay for. Yes, a local solicitor will be more expensive but a lot of the cheaper options will not carry out full searches and will instead do the minimum required and simply insure other things should the worst happen.
If you are spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on a property i would not skimp on a good solicitor and survey.
I’m not suggesting skimping. We have used a solicitor in Hull that has been excellent in several property transactions but provides a better service for a lower price purely because they are based in Hull. Solicitors down South take the piss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here