Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heysel Stadium disaster

Jan 30, 2008
Easy to copy and paste, but absolute boxxocks! Report after report from respected journos, and occasional sources close to Liverpool fans, speak of the blame being put fairly and squarely upon the Liverpool fans. Yes, the stadium was not fit for purpose by the standards employed then, let alone today, but we should not allow those responsible to absolve themselves of the responsibility of this tragedy.

If the supposed comments of Phil Neal are true, then it speaks volumes about the double standards employed by those on Merseyside when discussing football disasters. Those responsible should accept the blame, and then perhaps the real victims, and football, can move on.
why were the italians where they were in the first place ???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Easy to copy and paste, but absolute boxxocks! Report after report from respected journos, and occasional sources close to Liverpool fans, speak of the blame being put fairly and squarely upon the Liverpool fans. Yes, the stadium was not fit for purpose by the standards employed then, let alone today, but we should not allow those responsible to absolve themselves of the responsibility of this tragedy.

If the supposed comments of Phil Neal are true, then it speaks volumes about the double standards employed by those on Merseyside when discussing football disasters. Those responsible should accept the blame, and then perhaps the real victims, and football, can move on.
if you look at the actual footage how many scousers get through the OB lines ? IT'S OBVIOUS PANIC SET IN ,TRAGIC BUT TRUE, how many italians stood their ground
regards
DR

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Hmm. So you want me to disregard what I saw with my own eyes?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Kind of funny coming from someone who seems to willfully ignore the mountains of evidence showing that Liverpool fans were not to blame at Hillsborough.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I wonder how much Phil Neal demanded to take part? From The Guardian, 2005

Phil Neal
Then: Liverpool captain, 34
Now: Merseyside Radio commentator

I'd rather forget that night. It was an ordeal. But, Jamie, why should I help you out? I'm helping you pay your mortgage [by talking to you about Heysel]. When people ask me for my view, they usually have to pay for it. You're asking for my help for nothing. To pay your mortgage, Jamie. I mean, what do you want from me?

I just thought that as the captain of Liverpool football club on that night at Heysel it would be good to hear your view?

Yes but what do you want from me? If I talk to you for a few minutes, then I'm helping you pay your mortgage and what am I getting in return? Do you know what I mean?

Well, I have been to Italy and talked with some of the families of the victims and they say that the trophy should be given back by Juventus to commemorate what happened.

About Juventus? Why are you asking me? Why are you asking someone on the Liverpool side? Juventus made amends very soon. Ask them ... Jamie I'm helping you pay your mortgage. People who want my views pay.

I'm sorry, but everyone else I have spoken to has ...

Great. So you've spoken to people, you've got your views. You've got your Liverpool view, but if you want mine for free, well people pay for them.

Seems Phil just isn't very bright. Does seem denial from Liverpool about Heysel...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Article by Ed Vulliamy in y'day's Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/heysel-stadium-disaster-30th-anniversary

Raised a question that has always bugged me about the differing reactions of Liverpool fans to Heysel and Hillsborough. I think that the article might give a context as to why it gets little or no media attention in this country.

A very good article, read some of the replies, there is still denial! The late seventies was as bad, I went to Ninian park to watch Brighton and ran the gauntlet from the station to the ground, a fearful experience, but would I link that in any way to a justification of killings, no. I remember that final, getting home and looking forward to watching a live European Cup final on the television and my horror watching the scenes unfold. The end result had no meaning for me and the final should have been cancelled, pretty poor, and even though there is much discussion over who is responsible, it should still be remembered, conveniently shut out of the mass media lest it offends any particular section of the population.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
if you look at the actual footage how many scousers get through the OB lines ? IT'S OBVIOUS PANIC SET IN ,TRAGIC BUT TRUE, how many italians stood their ground
regards
DR
Stood their ground? was it a battle, were they warriors or did they go to watch a football match? Come and have a chat to me about conflict, your words are out of place and context
C

Jan 30, 2008
Stood their ground? was it a battle, were they warriors or did they go to watch a football match? Come and have a chat to me about conflict, your words are out of place and context
C
You've taken it out of context , I never said anything of the kind , as i said panic set in
regards
DR

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Indeed, ask a lot of younger fans about Heysel and many will be unaware.

Good articles in the Torygraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Juventus-minimal-reaction-prolongs-hurt.html

Not sure if at 27 I am a younger fan? However I was completely ignorant of the events until reading some of the articles on here. It's seems utterly shocking that that could have happened at a match and yet people be so dismissive of its memory. You can see though why many people would have found it easy to believe Liverpool were to blame for hillsborough

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I watched that game in Magaluf in a pub with mainly Scots and there was a very hostile atmosphere outside.

The Spanish transmission of the game started by showing a pitch battle outside the stadium between Liverpool and Juventus fans with very few police in attendance. I recently heard the Barry Davies commentary and sadly it summed up the inevitable result of what were football fans out of control and inept policing causing an appalling result.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I wonder how much Phil Neal demanded to take part? From The Guardian, 2005

Phil Neal
Then: Liverpool captain, 34
Now: Merseyside Radio commentator

I'd rather forget that night. It was an ordeal. But, Jamie, why should I help you out? I'm helping you pay your mortgage [by talking to you about Heysel]. When people ask me for my view, they usually have to pay for it. You're asking for my help for nothing. To pay your mortgage, Jamie. I mean, what do you want from me?

I just thought that as the captain of Liverpool football club on that night at Heysel it would be good to hear your view?

Yes but what do you want from me? If I talk to you for a few minutes, then I'm helping you pay your mortgage and what am I getting in return? Do you know what I mean?

Well, I have been to Italy and talked with some of the families of the victims and they say that the trophy should be given back by Juventus to commemorate what happened.

About Juventus? Why are you asking me? Why are you asking someone on the Liverpool side? Juventus made amends very soon. Ask them ... Jamie I'm helping you pay your mortgage. People who want my views pay.

I'm sorry, but everyone else I have spoken to has ...

Great. So you've spoken to people, you've got your views. You've got your Liverpool view, but if you want mine for free, well people pay for them.

Imagine the outcry if Stuart Pearce said that's about hillsborough.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Kind of funny coming from someone who seems to willfully ignore the mountains of evidence showing that Liverpool fans were not to blame at Hillsborough.

Correct....not one single ounce of blame can be laid at the door of Liverpool fans. Utterly and completely blameless. No ticketless fans, not one single one above and beyond the designated number. The police were totally to blame for 95 deaths.
No blame at Heysel, either. The ground and authorities were totally to blame for 39 deaths. So there we are. No case to answer. End of story.
134 dead but nothing to do with us guv'nor.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Correct....not one single ounce of blame can be laid at the door of Liverpool fans. Utterly and completely blameless. No ticketless fans, not one single one above and beyond the designated number. The police were totally to blame for 95 deaths.
No blame at Heysel, either. The ground and authorities were totally to blame for 39 deaths. So there we are. No case to answer. End of story.
134 dead but nothing to do with us guv'nor.

um, well I was making a different point. Anyway, clearly Liverpool fans were at fault at Heysel. But that shouldn't let the authorities off the hook either. At Hillsborough it was a different story, the fans were not to blame. Mountains of evidence has come out to show that. And that was my point in quoting the poster.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
um, well I was making a different point. Anyway, clearly Liverpool fans were at fault at Heysel. But that shouldn't let the authorities off the hook either. At Hillsborough it was a different story, the fans were not to blame. Mountains of evidence has come out to show that. And that was my point in quoting the poster.

The one thing that the mountains of evidence will never be able to show, is how many ticketless Liverpool fans were there outside the Leppings Lane End, before kick-off. For years, they had a reputation of turning up late, en masse, without tickets and using whatever methods were necessary, to gain entry to grounds.
At Hillsborough that day, the police should have anticipated this problem but they panicked and made the wrong call and it ultimately proved to be fatal. They could see a massive problem growing outside and should have dealt with it. They didn't have enough manpower in the right place. They didn't want the problem spreading on the streets so they tried to contain it inside the ground. The fans outside, worried they were not going to get in, started to put pressure on the gates and turnstiles. They were hoping for something to give and eventually it did. Too many poured into one section, which couldn't cope with the numbers and the surging that followed ( those at the back pushing to get in ) forced fans against barriers and fencing. There was no way out.
The police were culpable, not just in the decisions they took but in disregarding all known history re Liverpool fans. i.e many would turn up late, ticketless and inebriated and try and get in the ground. They tried to deal with a situation that was already out of control, rather than containment at source.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here