Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hey mechanics help out a thicko

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would seem my garage didn't replace the sump plug after the service and MOT, naturally they're closed - not to worry thinks I, how hard can it be - 5 minute job max.

I just got a replacement, still didn't think anything of it, and am now back home accutely aware of the fact there's only 2 ways to do this and I will pick the wrong one.

So is it copper next to the plug with rubber insert ring next to the sump.
Or
Does the ring with rubber insert go onto the plug first, with the copper next to the sump.

The YouTube isn't helping.

Attachments

• IMG_20231227_111040_017.jpg
    IMG_20231227_111040_017.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231227_111259_675.jpg
    IMG_20231227_111259_675.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 40

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It would seem my garage didn't replace the sump plug after the service and MOT, naturally they're closed - not to worry thinks I, how hard can it be - 5 minute job max.

I just got a replacement, still didn't think anything of it, and am now back home accutely aware of the fact there's only 2 ways to do this and I will pick the wrong one.

So is it copper next to the plug with rubber insert ring next to the sump.
Or
Does the ring with rubber insert go onto the plug first, with the copper next to the sump.

The YouTube isn't helping.
What happened to all the oil when they re-filled it ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What happened to all the oil when they re-filled it ?
It appears to be slowly leaking out.
Obviously I have no idea what's going on, only the fact there's oil on the floor and it's coming from a specific area on the underside of the engine which i assume to be sump-y.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
presumably they've put the old sump plug back in.

unless you want to catch and refill all the oil i'd leave alone, at least until after your argument with the garage for not changing the plug properly. its one of those "advice" things to change, not critical. its the washer thats important, worse case the plug might weep a bit.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Every vehicle is different, but my first take is ‘why the o-ring’. Normally just slip the copper gasket over the sump plug and tighten it up, or torque it up if it really needs it, or you are pedantic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
presumably they've put the old sump plug back in.

unless you want to catch and refill all the oil i'd leave alone, at least until after your argument with the garage for not changing the plug properly. its one of those "advice" things to change, not critical. its the washer thats important, worse case the plug might weep a bit.
Ok thanks I'll leave well alone, as said there's oil on the floor and under the car but there's still oil in the engine so it's not pissing out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Every vehicle is different, but my first take is ‘why the o-ring’. Normally just slip the copper gasket over the sump plug and tighten it up, or torque it up if it really needs it, or you are pedantic.
clueless as opposed to pedantic.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ok thanks I'll leave well alone, as said there's oil on the floor and under the car but there's still oil in the engine so it's not pissing out.
Firstly I'd check to see if it will tighten up a bit more. Then I'd wait for the garage, unless you want to change the oil again.

Unusual for a rubber o-ring usually it's just the copper o-ring incorporated (the second photo) known as a crush washer. These are considered single use.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I've finally done what I was far too lazy to do in the first place.

I jacked up the car, crawled under and cleaned the mess round the leak.
So it's deffo leaking around the sump plug - there is one!!! (As said absolutely fudging clueless).
But it's all a moot point anyway as I don't have a 'square' tool bit and much too my suprise my home mechanic neighbour doesn't either.

So I'll just top up, for the time being.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well I've finally done what I was far too lazy to do in the first place.

I jacked up the car, crawled under and cleaned the mess round the leak.
So it's deffo leaking around the sump plug - there is one!!! (As said absolutely fudging clueless).
But it's all a moot point anyway as I don't have a 'square' tool bit and much too my suprise my home mechanic neighbour doesn't either.

So I'll just top up, for the time being.
As already said above, leave it for the garage, as its there fvck up.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
You had better hope the garage didn’t use a power tool to tighten the sump plug too much and have cross threaded and/or fecked the sump thread, which if aluminium is a MASSIVE problem

Fingers crossed and leave it well alone, let the cowboys fix it.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
You had better hope the garage didn’t use a power tool to tighten the sump plug too much and have cross threaded and/or fecked the sump thread, which if aluminium is a MASSIVE problem

Fingers crossed and leave it well alone, let the cowboys fix it.
If a mechanic went anywhere near my bung hole with a power tool, I wouldn't be happy.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Traaditionally sump plugs where copper, thats the best material IMO . . . .occaisionally fibre washers ( old bikes for example) Some modern toss uses dowty washers, with is a metal washer with a plastic/rubber inner ring, never seen or used a rubber O ring . . .

definitely torque it . . . . Easy to damage. The square drive will be 10 or 12mm, Halfords do a universal tool for sumps, like those old bone bike spanners . . . . If you're lucky it may be 10mm and a socket wrench with 3/8" drive will fit.

either way its a real schoolboy error. If you can wait get them to fix it properly and get it checked by someone competent . . .a damaged sump thread will be a time consuming repair/replacement

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Traaditionally sump plugs where copper, thats the best material IMO . . . .occaisionally fibre washers ( old bikes for example) Some modern toss uses dowty washers, with is a metal washer with a plastic/rubber inner ring, never seen or used a rubber O ring . . .

definitely torque it . . . . Easy to damage. The square drive will be 10 or 12mm, Halfords do a universal tool for sumps, like those old bone bike spanners . . . . If you're lucky it may be 10mm and a socket wrench with 3/8" drive will fit.

either way its a real schoolboy error. If you can wait get them to fix it properly and get it checked by someone competent . . .a damaged sump thread will be a time consuming repair/replacement
I think rubber rings and lube do work..for some. (Zetec) Some lad has probably been swinging on a long T bar and stripped the threads as bald as Matt Lucas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here