Heskey retires from international football - tributes here

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact is that England AS A TEAM played some of their best football with Heskey in the line-up.

He's clearly now over the hill and past it, but we could really do with a Heskey of 10 years ago. Some pundits like Darren Bent but he's a Premier League "flat track bully" the same as Lampard and Gerrard.

I thank you. Besides he was also the only player of the WC squad who had scored in the knockout rounds of the last world cup.

Sten get off your high horse. Im merely comparing stats.

Sorry TMLS, I'm really not trying to be difficult, I just don't get the Heskey worship. He was a hard-working but very average striker who got far more caps than his talent deserved. I'm too young to really remember Beardsley in his pomp, but I do think it's a bit of a slight on him to compare him to Heskey, certainly the 2010 edition.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The fact is that England AS A TEAM played some of their best football with Heskey in the line-up.

He's clearly now over the hill and past it, but we could really do with a Heskey of 10 years ago. Some pundits like Darren Bent but he's a Premier League "flat track bully" the same as Lampard and Gerrard.

mmm not sure you can label Lampard and Gerrard flat track bullies but i get your point.....Heskey of 10 years ago should be no where near the England side either.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Cheers EMAIL. I'll never forget your contribution to the 5-1 demolition in Munich.

But that fact is that we'll never come close to winning the big pot all the while limited footballers like Emile Heskey are anywhere near the side. None of which, of course, is Heskey's fault. (The same could be said of Defoe, who also looks out of his depth)

This.

I like Emile. I hate all the abuse he gets. He plays his game and he deos what he does. Sometimes it's just what England need, but then again, he's hardly world class. He'd probably admit that himself.

I salute him!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Heskey's scored in the world cup finals which is more than Rooney's managed. I though he was also our best played in the USA game, which I thought was our best performance

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
An important cog turning in the team. Thanks Emile :)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Lets face it,would he have ever been picked again?.Lets hope about 10 others follow him.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
This.

I like Emile. I hate all the abuse he gets. He plays his game and he deos what he does. Sometimes it's just what England need, but then again, he's hardly world class. He'd probably admit that himself.

I salute him!

Fully agreed. Not the most skilful, but one of my favourite players just for playing his heart out.

bhafc2003

Oct 28, 2008
Emile Heskey announce his retirement from international football; in other news, Gordon Brown no longer wishes to be considered for the position of Prime Minister

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers EMAIL. I'll never forget your contribution to the 5-1 demolition in Munich.

But that fact is that we'll never come close to winning the big pot all the while limited footballers like Emile Heskey are anywhere near the side. None of which, of course, is Heskey's fault. (The same could be said of Defoe, who also looks out of his depth)
How can you say that Simster? Don't you know that passion, pride and workrate are FAR more important than skill, talent or ability? We need MORE players like Heskey who'll run themselves into the ground for England, not a load of ball-playing wimps like those limp-wristed Spaniards.

PS - I am mad.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
TFFT ... and well overdue

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah he didn't score, therefore is shit.

Y'know, i wonder why we don't just cull or at least neuter a large part of the idiots that form England fans!

He did a blinding job, big huge target man, defenders couldn't cope with him physically and never took much limelight, rather set others up to take it. :bowdown: Thanks Heskey

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Heskey's scored in the world cup finals which is more than Rooney's managed. I though he was also our best played in the USA game, which I thought was our best performance

I know what you mean but at the same time he missed the simple chance to win the game. I'd say his whole England career, both good and bad, was represented in that one match.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Sorry, run that past me again? Did you just ask if we struggled to score goals, except for when it mattered, with Heskey in the side? Talk about selectively choosing your evidence! And before we start talking about whether Croatia are a good side; a decent side they may be, but that's based on their attacking midfielders; look at the squad and their defenders don't seem to be playing for many big clubs, suggesting maybe they aren't the best.

So we've scored goals in qualification with him in the side but because he doesn't score we should have dropped him in the finals?

And if you are going to get selective about facts I'm sure someone who is more interested in these things were to work out goals scored with him in the side against goals scored without him in the side it would make very one sided reading.

As I've said, I fully appreciate the effort that he put in. That doesn't make him a good player though.

Completely agree. Bringing this closer to home Gary Hart is a prime example. Tries hard but is quite frankly a bit shit. But if Brighton look a better side with him in than with him not in then we should be playing him no?

This world cup, England looked shite when he was in the side, and shite when he was out. The fact that he played IMHO just highlighted a) what a dearth of quality strikers we have and b) how myopic Capello was when it came to Heskey. That moment when Heskey came on when we were 4-1 down was absolutely classic.

Against USA Heskey was the best player on the park for the first half by a country mile. Granted he didn't do allot after that but who did? To be fair to Capello though the previous 3 or 4 managers have also stuck with Heskey. Were they also wrong?

Seagull64

Sep 22, 2008
emile_heskey.jpg

equals.jpg

donkey.jpg

ANGRY.jpg

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So we've scored goals in qualification with him in the side but because he doesn't score we should have dropped him in the finals?

And if you are going to get selective about facts I'm sure someone who is more interested in these things were to work out goals scored with him in the side against goals scored without him in the side it would make very one sided reading.

Completely agree. Bringing this closer to home Gary Hart is a prime example. Tries hard but is quite frankly a bit shit. But if Brighton look a better side with him in than with him not in then we should be playing him no?

Against USA Heskey was the best player on the park for the first half by a country mile. Granted he didn't do allot after that but who did? To be fair to Capello though the previous 3 or 4 managers have also stuck with Heskey. Were they also wrong?

Yes they were all wrong

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
My main memory of Heskey in an England shirt was when he ran Sensini ragged against Argentina, who was then substituted after 30 mins... this was when Sensini was one of the best defenders in the world.

Yes, he didnt score goals, and as a striker he needed to do that - but EVERY single striker who has played alongside him will say they would prefer him there than anyone else as a strike partner... he created space and goals for others...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So which one was Spain's Heskey, was it Villa or Torres?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports