Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "He’s changing many things in English football"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
During his interview with Sky Sport Italia, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola said he’d rather return to Italy on holiday than coach a Serie A club and praised Brighton coach Roberto De Zerbi: ‘He’s changing English football.’

The Spanish tactician replied to questions from the Italian broadcasters following a 7-0 win over RB Leipzig in the second leg of the Champions League Round of 16.

He didn’t only praise Napoli, saying that Luciano Spalletti’s team may be the best in Europe at the moment, but has nice words also for former Sassuolo boss De Zerbi, now in charge of Brighton.

“We have an Italian coach here, he’s called Roberto De Zerbi and he’s changing many things in English football, playing marvellous football, he is doing incredibly well,” he said.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I said, jokingly, when that story/picture of RDZ having dinner with Pep first appeared that Roberto would be taking over at City if he did well at Brighton. I can now see that happening!

We all know Pep shows his true feelings for managers when they get the better of him, so let's hopefully find out what he really thinks when that blue mob come down to the Amex in April...

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Citeh seem a decent shout if he not only stays here a couple of years but wins something. If he jumps ship too quickly or scrapes into Europe (a very good job) and gets a semi (final) then I think he'll be more in the Spurs/Chelsea/Newcastle/Italian club tier despite doing well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So what interests me on this, isn't so much "will De Zerbi go to City in 2 years". It's, what are the the "many things" Pep is referring to? He obviously knows his football, so there are probably lots of intricate things i've missed. So the big one is the pass pattern of keeper to retreating midfielder to centre back to full back, that's pretty obvious. I was also thinking a few weeks ago, that playing two strikers who are dropping very deep and two high wingers, to in effect do the same pattern but further forward was quite unique as well? But I can't think of other things which are new and specific to us under RDZ. But then I do tend to drink quite heavily before matches. Thoughts?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So what interests me on this, isn't so much "will De Zerbi go to City in 2 years". It's, what are the the "many things" Pep is referring to? He obviously knows his football, so there are probably lots of intricate things i've missed. So the big one is the pass pattern of keeper to retreating midfielder to centre back to full back, that's pretty obvious. I was also thinking a few weeks ago, that playing two strikers who are dropping very deep and two high wingers, to in effect do the same pattern but further forward was quite unique as well? But I can't think of other things which are new and specific to us under RDZ. But then I do tend to drink quite heavily before matches. Thoughts?
Drink a bit less

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not great at analysing tactics, but I watched City last night to see if they/Pep had changed things to be more De Zerbi-like. City seem to go more direct, so there's fewer passes between defenders (AKA 'fannying around at the back), but there was one bit in the lead up to (I think) one of the goals, where Edison lashed the ball out to the right back and then it seemed to go through players like a knife through butter and into the back of the net. I think that was more like how De Zerbi wants to play: if there's space, exploit it – even if you do it as fast as you can. I also think RDZ takes the whole possession thing to another level. Isn't there a stat that Brighton teams have had more possession in games this year than any other team, or something?

That doesn't really answer your question – and might not even make sense – but thought it was worth the ramble. And I didn't drink any alcohol last night :lol:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
central midfeilders. Ours seem to intentionally not find space. But instead invite the ball in places where they are marked. Not only that but move to specifically risky places AND make sure they are marked, before looking for a pass from the defence. The presumption being it moves the opposition to the worst, and weirdest places they want to be. Goes totally against any considered wisdom about passing then finding space.

His use of Ferguson has been really interesting. My seat is just left of the half way line in the WU and against Wham he was often 10 yards deeper than Mitoma, March and sometimes even Mac. This coincides with him saying he was 'surprised and happy' about the quality of Ferguson.

All of these things hint at new ways of making the opposition uncomfortable.

They also hint at his man management and his ACTUAL emotional intelligence. A person who utilises all the components and gets them to believe it.

The system doesn't work without convincing natural conservative defenders to take insane risks, doesn't work without the key abilities of Mac and Gross and Caicedo to enjoy being under intense pressure, and doesn't work if you can't convince an 18 year old young gun desperate to score goals that hanging around 20 feet deep of the last defender laying off 8 yard passes is a vital part of the process and not only tha but getting all of these people to look like they love doing it.

They are the things I can think of.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There was an interesting video posted today somewhere called Football Meta or something about how he has created an extra man in attack. Beyond the obvious things everyone has focussed on it appears that this is the big one. Teams simply haven't had to worry about this as both Klopp and Guardiola have set a trend of how teams attack (they do it differently in style but the same in shape) so all teams are set up to counter this. At the moment nobody has found an obvious way to counter RDZs additional man. And this would be massively exaggerated with the kind of quality of Citeh have.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm not great at analysing tactics, but I watched City last night to see if they/Pep had changed things to be more De Zerbi-like. City seem to go more direct, so there's fewer passes between defenders (AKA 'fannying around at the back), but there was one bit in the lead up to (I think) one of the goals, where Edison lashed the ball out to the right back and then it seemed to go through players like a knife through butter and into the back of the net. I think that was more like how De Zerbi wants to play: if there's space, exploit it – even if you do it as fast as you can. I also think RDZ takes the whole possession thing to another level. Isn't there a stat that Brighton teams have had more possession in games this year than any other team, or something?

That doesn't really answer your question – and might not even make sense – but thought it was worth the ramble. And I didn't drink any alcohol last night :lol:
There was some interesting analysis on MOTD much earlier in the season which basically said that City were not using Haaland effectively (even though he was scoring for fun) as he was taking up positions and making runs that no-one was finding as they were too busy fannying about, so I think that is probably why they go more direct sometimes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Was in WSL last night and really enjoyed watching Roberto at work. The players clearly listen, he was constantly encouraging and directing players into specific spaces he wanted to see them in.

I think we’re still too cautious for his liking at times, recent games he perhaps gets as frustrated as we do that a player recycles the ball around the opponent’s box rather than being more decisive, but I guess that is a player’s decision to take.

Interestingly, in that mad moment in added time when we contrived to set up a guilt edged chance for them, he remained remarkably calm, perhaps trusting his players not to do it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here