Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heroin users are NOT 'junkies'

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Just read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11067028

So remember folks its, "A heroin user just smashed my car window and helped himself to my radio, a heroin user just shoplifted a stack of perfume from Boots, a heroin user just burgled my house and violated my property, a heroin user just mugged me in the street for my money", please don't go upsetting them by calling them 'junkies'. What planet are these faceless report writers on? :angry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Who uses the term "junkie" these days? It's as dated as saying pot or groovy. I don't think I've heard the phrase for years.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
As someone in recovery

1) we call ourselves addicts, in fact that is how we introduce ourselves at meetings
2) most ex heroin users call themselves junkies
3) we don't carry on using because people call us names
4) his point about giving people methadone and not detox and rehab is correct.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
"The crux of this problem, I'm afraid, is the persistent view that drug addiction is the problem of the addict,"

Am I missing something here?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
As someone in recovery

1) we call ourselves addicts, in fact that is how we introduce ourselves at meetings
2) most ex heroin users call themselves junkies
3) we don't carry on using because people call us names
4) his point about giving people methadone and not detox and rehab is correct.
Seious question, why did you start on heroin ? i'm not having a dig but its not like we dont all know what the end result is going to be .

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It beggars belief doesnt it ?

The thing is that nobody forces somebody to start drinking, taking drugs or gambling or any other addiction, the problem is initially with the individual. Mind you that spawns other problems like dealers, bookies, loan sharks, pimps and so on but at the end of the day what started it ?

Heroin and other dugs are illegal for a good reason, it's no secret that they don't do you any good. Drink and gambling are legal and they creep up on you but whatever, you can stop by not starting.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Seious question, why did you start on heroin ? i'm not having a dig but its not like we dont all know what the end result is going to be .

I didn't. Actually the reason I didn't was that you never say anything other than "heroin addict", pretty much tells you what to expect. This rather does for his theory in my case.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Heroin and other dugs are illegal for a good reason, it's no secret that they don't do you any good. Drink and gambling are legal and they creep up on you but whatever, you can stop by not starting.

The reason heroin is illegal may be well intentioned but the outcomes of the way we deal with it are poor as anyone with more than a superficial understanding of the issue would agree.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Yeah man.You need to watch the young one's if you get a chance.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Groovy is a great word, which I use.

Groovy went out with vinyl.

H-men are most likely twats. There have always been twats around. It is arguable whether we are better off with them being on on heroin instead running around boozed up. Above all, don't put them in charge of anything except their own barbecues.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Authors of the six-month report said the terms "junkie" and "addict" were distrustful and judgmental and led to feelings of low self-worth among drug users.

excellent research there. who'd have thought junkies have low sence of self worth? now we know its all our fault for stigmatising addicts.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The reason heroin is illegal may be well intentioned but the outcomes of the way we deal with it are poor as anyone with more than a superficial understanding of the issue would agree.

Mate, I know it might bother your politically correct sensibilities but not for the first time you've made an assumption which is very wrong, from having to work with junkies as well as having worked in the NHS not to mention the number of relatives who have similar experience I do know a lot more about this that you clearly do.

The plain fact is that heroin users chose to START taking heroin despite the facts about the damage it can and does do. These are well known to anybody who can read and to most people who can't.

Why do you honestly think we as a society have much time for people who knowing do themselves harm ? Granted that can be said of drinkers, smokers, obesity and people who participate in dangerous sports. There is one very significant difference between them and drug addicts, namely that they seldom commit crime to support themselves and even those who so are very rarely habitual criminals.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11067028

So remember folks its, "A heroin user just smashed my car window and helped himself to my radio, a heroin user just shoplifted a stack of perfume from Boots, a heroin user just burgled my house and violated my property, a heroin user just mugged me in the street for my money", please don't go upsetting them by calling them 'junkies'. What planet are these faceless report writers on? :angry:

Goodness knows what hearing the word "smackhead" would do to them then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here