Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hereford United EXPELLED from Football Conference

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I think one of Hereford's ex-chairman summed up their major problem when he said "We have a huge catchment area, unfortunately no bugger lives there."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Se20's contention, on which I initially commented, is that some may feel that the Albion is gaining an unfair advantage from TB's £200m investment in the club. He also commented that two previous CP chairmen had been financially ruined by their tenure at Palace.

1) TB has not invested £200m in the Albion (ie BHA FC Ltd = the football club = the member of the Football League).
2) The £120m?+ investment in the stadium and training complex, including any future losses incurred, have nothing to do with the Football League because the Football Club (the FL member) doesn't own them.
3) This Club/Stadium split was set up by the Board under DK in the early 2000's.
4) Renting the stadium is exactly what Palace did under Goldberg and Jordan so I can't see where Se20, or anyone else, has cause to gripe about unfair advantage.

If the hotel and conference centre is built plus those student accommodation blocks for the Uni's that will take TB's investment well over £200M

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think one of Hereford's ex-chairman summed up their major problem when he said "We have a huge catchment area, unfortunately no bugger lives there."

Most provincial clubs are in the same position with thousands of plastics wearing replica shirts at the weekend who don't support their local club.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
What is scary is I think they will go down to the same level as Peacehaven are at to take the vacant position in the league Hayes and Yeading were heading to and Whitehawk are now at the same level or higher than 2 ex league clubs we have played in recent(ish) memory

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Seems the Conference has more balls than the Football League.

Such action from the league may make some clubs think twice before spending beyond their means.

Always has been the case. I think Dover suffered a similar fate about a decade ago. You get into financial problems, can't pay your bills, and you get thrown to the bottom of the pile.

Sorry for Hereford fans, but well played to the Conference, as that is a proper punishment.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
What do these football league (and former football league) clubs have in common: Exeter City, Newport County, Hereford United, Wrexham FC, Chester City, Southport, Barrow, Workington Town? If you are wondering look at a map of the UK!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Which hasn't been paid, and isn't likely to be either as Tony Bloom has written it off.

My point is not to get into an argument with fellow Brighton fans, especially when agreeing with one of "them", but to highlight that we are where we are now because of one man.

To argue that point is to me almost biting the hand that feeds you.
Just hope he has a good life-insurance policy. Remember Matthew Harding..

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Most provincial clubs are in the same position with thousands of plastics wearing replica shirts at the weekend who don't support their local club.
To be fair that isn't the case in Hereford.......most of them wear these instead:

yokel-in-smock-jpg.34582

:hilton:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If the hotel and conference centre is built plus those student accommodation blocks for the Uni's that will take TB's investment well over £200M

Building a hotel and conference centre be a sound investment for TB. I would like to know details as to how the financial side of these will be structured. While boosting TBs bank balance has the side effect of enabling him to financially support us, boosting the income of the club reduces our need for financial support from him.
I am not doubting his generosity or sincerity in supporting BHAFC but this possible further development of the site raises a lot of questions and I hope our resident forensic accountants monitor this as there is a myriad of possibilities that could all fit under the banner of "hotel and conference centre attached to BHAFC".

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Yep - always annoyed me that Orient or rather Barry Hearn wanted us out. And Charlton for pimping bit club in Worthing and haywards Heath when we were on our knees.

Pedant alert

Hearn talked about us being kicked out after the 4 all draw when the butcher decided to undertake a one man attack on ray wilkins. At the league egm to kick us out, he spoke out against it and backed the new consortium. People like David Webb at Southend and clubs like Exeter voted against us

Depends, if ever built, how much they cost and who owns them but as with the Stadium and Training Complex at Lancing I doubt the owner will be the football club, that's my underlying point throughout this thread.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Pedant alert

Hearn talked about us being kicked out after the 4 all draw when the butcher decided to undertake a one man attack on ray wilkins. At the league egm to kick us out, he spoke out against it and backed the new consortium. People like David Webb at Southend and clubs like Exeter voted against us

Oh well! I still hate him though. The number of times he fibbed about the Albion away attendance at his place. So often we got that big stand opposite their main one and every time the attendance was given as 1,900 or some such guff.

When Telford United went bust in 2004 the team were given a triple-relegation due to insolvency by the Football Conference. They went from the Conference league to the Northern Premier League Division One.

Think that's what happened to both Newport County and Aldershot Town too.

Aldershot dropped from Div 4 to Ryman Div 3 which was 5 divisions,Newport
dropped 4 Conference to The Hellenic League.
Newport County were relegated from the fourth division in 1988 and then went completely out of business, midway through their first season in the Conference (1988/89). A new Club was formed by supporters in June 1989 and applied for membership of the Hellenic League, playing games at Moreton-in-Marsh in Gloucestershire (80 miles from Newport). They were never "relegated" to the Hellenic League.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Have we been blamed yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here