Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hereford away 1997 - did you listen in Hove Park?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
There was a group of around 20 who listened to the game under the shadow of The Goldstone floodlights - were YOU one of them?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i was there like a TRUE superfan

i remember being in hove park on a monday though when liam brady made the announcement about the consortium - quite why i wasnt in school i dont know

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Nope, I was in Canada, listening by phone...with the receiver in the UK placed next to a radio (twas the days before t'internet of course)...would love to have been in Hove park though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was at Edgar Street, Hereford, in the home supporters stand, opposite the tunnel, with dozens and dozens of other Albion fans. What a day.....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was amongst the Albion faithful, moaning at that **** who was on the fence (and subsequently got Robbie's magic boots)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was at Hereford - shitting my pants. Well done guys at Hove Park - sod the superfan bollocks - we were all in this together. Something to tell your grandchildren.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
GOODNESS ME, I didn't ask if you were at the game, now did I? Believe that's been done to DEATH in several other threads. There was a small gathering of random Albionites who decended on Hove Park because for whatever reason they couldn't get to the game. Was wondering if any of them read NSC.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I was in Hove park. I couldn't get a ticket for Hereford and didn't want to listen to the match at home alone. Listened to the first half in that pub on Sackville Road and at 1-0 down I couldn't stand it any more. Walked down to the Goldstone (don't know why) and ended up with a gaggle of fans in Hove Park. I remember one woman had a bottle of champaigne which she passed around at the final whistle before a few of us tried to get into the Goldstone to reenact Robbie's goal. Sadly Bellotti's security was having none of it. Wish I had been at Edgar Street .

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I was in Hove park. I couldn't get a ticket for Hereford and didn't want to listen to the match at home alone. Listened to the first half in that pub on Sackville Road and at 1-0 down I couldn't stand it any more. Walked down to the Goldstone (don't know why) and ended up with a gaggle of fans in Hove Park. I remember one woman had a bottle of champaigne which she passed around at the final whistle before a few of us tried to get into the Goldstone to reenact Robbie's goal. Sadly Bellotti's security was having none of it. Wish I had been at Edgar Street .

10 years on, hello! I was one of those fans along with three other mates. I remember the champagne, the copper who joined us for ten minutes and most of all the fact that right after whistle went, it felt like every other car that passed beeped it's horn at us.

Have regretted many times not heading down to Hereford even without a ticket, but it was certainly a unique experience enduring the game with a random handfull of other Albion fans!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was all too much for me that day, so I chose not to go to the game. Instead I decided that I wouldn't even listen to the radio or anything until it was all over. Instead I went for a country walk with mrs K, somewhere in the cotswolds. By about ten to five we were back in the car and I turned on the radio to get the final score, only to find that radio 5 were live from Edgar Street and there were still 5 minutes left. I had to pull the car over, and we sat in total silence, me almost unable to breathe properly until it was all over. The moment at the end when Ormerod saved us was the worst bit. Then when it was finally over, I felt absolutely drained, despite having only listened to a few minutes, and had to sit there for ages before I was ready to drive again.

I can't even imagine what it was like for those of you who were there.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The worst day of my life.

Until I had a double G+T and pint chaser in either hand at the pub on the way out of Hereford, with a continual stream of Albion cars and coaches going past. When it was, for a few minutes, one of the best days of my life.

PG

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
I was also one of the twenty together with my kids who are now all grown up we all gathered around the large lump if rock and cars honked in support as they passed after the game I also remember trying to get into the ground and failing but we did get in the following day and played a game on what was left of the pitch and I scored at both ends very sad and very happy times always good to look back

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I was also one of the twenty together with my kids who are now all grown up we all gathered around the large lump if rock and cars honked in support as they passed after the game I also remember trying to get into the ground and failing but we did get in the following day and played a game on what was left of the pitch and I scored at both ends very sad and very happy times always good to look back

From my recollections of our football games in the park up Hollingbury it was no mean feat for you have to have scored in both ends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here