Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Here we go mongering war agin

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
A private company can't just "go in".

If they are in Iraq that suggests the Iraquis have let them in.

What if the Iraqui government employed them to make their oil production more efficient?

No conflict of interest exists then ? when the then US Vice President (a croney from the days of daddy Bush) & a major share holder in Halliburton, assists in setting up their puppet government.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We can moralise and pontificate all we want about who sold what to who, the catastrophy of the war in Iraq, the pressure on our delapidated armed forces, the arguments about 'why not Bahrain' etc. But the pressing fact is this - today and over this weekend, Gadaffi will order his troops into Benghazi, and there will be a bloodbath. As in the other towns and cities so far reclaimed from the rebels by his regime, the killing will be indiscriminate. It will be a complete massacre.

The UN has agreed on a course of action to prevent this happening, and I think they are right to do so. As a member of the UN we have an obligation to be involved - not to LEAD, as we are clearly in no position to do so anyway these days, but we are right to support this UN resolution and assist in its implementation. There was footage last night of celebrations in Benghazi when the result of the vote on the UN resolution was heard - they want and need the UN's help and protection from what is coming this weekend.

No-one knows how this is going to pan out, but in my opinion it would be wrong for everyone to turn a blind eye and leave those people to their fate at the hands of a leader well known for butchering his own.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing".

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The Iraqi government killed kurds in the border areas with Iran when fighting the war against Iran...also, there was evidence of collusion with the Iranians during the war with them.
and who wants the political reform...like i said...most of the country lives in Tripoli and its surrounds and support Ghaddafi...what about their politics....

and what the feck has it got to do with us?

How do you know they support Gadaffi? Sure we've seen a few state tv shots of some crowds supporting Gadaffi in Libya but there were also some protests against Gadaffi in Tripoli before Gadaffi's militias cracked down.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
For fook sake,... who is war mongering eh?????.... this fookwit is using well equipped forces to kick the shite out of his own people,.... someone has to stand up and be counted,..... I bet you just walk on by if you pass an old lady getting mugged in your street,.. eh?... bet you do.............. and before you say it,... oil is not the motivation,... nor is it because we like to put down Islamic countries,... an example you say?... how about Bosnia and kosovo,... both were nothing to do with oil, and were to protect the muslim population.

How about Chad, Somali, Nigeria, Sudan, Ivory Coast etc..... unfortuately the list goes on. Thousands of people being killed, maimed children becomming orphans on a daily basis.

What do we do?

sweet FA!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its his tribal area.... theres also a lot of Ghaddafi supporters still in Benghazi who will come out of the woodwork...but generally, the west of the country appears to support.... and there were far larger crowds in Tripoli supporting the regime than I saw in Benghazi last night, where I think a lot of people have left the area.

I dont care who wins power in Libya to be honest. Really, I dont care....but I think its pretty hypocritical to condemn Ghaddafi for the deaths of civilians when he is attacking the rebels...armed rebels..... when we do exactly the same thing in Afghanistan.
We attack Al Qaeda, and if 20-30 civilians are killed as well...no big deal...Ghaddafi attacks armed rebels and civilians get killed...whoa...UN vote...NATO planes taking off to implement...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

How about Chad, Somali, Nigeria, Sudan, Ivory Coast etc..... unfortuately the list goes on. Thousands of people being killed, maimed children becomming orphans on a daily basis.

What do we do?

sweet FA!

While I agree that the above examples are horrendous and even more so that the world hasn't helped, that doesn't make it right to stand by here and allow the slaughter of innocents.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

What do we do?

sweet FA!

You really are ignorant aren't you,.... there is or has been recently UN peacekeepers and sundry military assistance forces in all those countries listed above,.. you end one conflict and another starts up,..... get in the real world.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its his tribal area.... theres also a lot of Ghaddafi supporters still in Benghazi who will come out of the woodwork...but generally, the west of the country appears to support.... and there were far larger crowds in Tripoli supporting the regime than I saw in Benghazi last night, where I think a lot of people have left the area.

I dont care who wins power in Libya to be honest. Really, I dont care....but I think its pretty hypocritical to condemn Ghaddafi for the deaths of civilians when he is attacking the rebels...armed rebels..... when we do exactly the same thing in Afghanistan.
We attack Al Qaeda, and if 20-30 civilians are killed as well...no big deal...Ghaddafi attacks armed rebels and civilians get killed...whoa...UN vote...NATO planes taking off to implement...

I get the hypocrisy. Foreign policy is totally inconsistant, and there are dozens of examples we can drag up to say "we do this here, yet we do that there..."

But put yourself in the shoes of someone living in Benghazi right now, today, with Gadaffi's army on the doorstep about to enter your city and begin the "cleansing". Would you want the UN to stand by and do nothing ? Or would you live in hope of the UN's intervention, in an attempt to stop you being torn to shreds by a Toyota with an anti-aircraft gun mounted on the back ?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
While I agree that the above examples are horrendous and even more so that the world hasn't helped, that doesn't make it right to stand by here and allow the slaughter of innocents.

Agreed! it doesn't make it right to stand by and watch the slaughter of innocents.

It's the way we pick and choose where and when to get involved.

Kosovo/Bosnia- couldn't afford to have an unstable Europe and the conflict
spreading.

Iraq- To settle a score against an old enemy of the US

Libya- As above plus they supply Europe with alot of their oil.

As for any civil war in Central Africa- Errrr not our problem Guv!!!!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
A lot of civilians have headed to the Egyptian border... and Ghaddafi said in interview, there will be no mercy shown to rebels...civilians will be protected.. maybe propaganda maybe not....sky tv news announced that he said no mercy will be shown to civilians this morning..which sort of creates an element of fear and fear mongering. Theres also Ghaddafi supporters in Benghazi who have been lying low allegedly, so thats another angle to the sorry state of affairs there.
Its civil war... we have no role in it...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Agreed! it doesn't make it right to stand by and watch the slaughter of innocents.

It's the way we pick and choose where and when to get involved.

Kosovo/Bosnia- couldn't afford to have an unstable Europe and the conflict
spreading.

Iraq- To settle a score against an old enemy of the US

Libya- As above plus they supply Europe with alot of their oil.

ooo,.. I can't compete with your well researched and sophisticated arguments,.... "Its the way we pick and choose.....", .. how can I counter that one,... I stand corrected.... !!!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm afraid that is a crock of shite. Most the countries you mentioned already have UN back peacekeeping troops in. Ethiopia was one of the most war ravaged countries in the world partly leading to the famines. A very large percentage of our overseas aid goes there - and rightly so. Only because we don't choose to use war planes and special forces to help civilians doesn't mean to say we don't help at all.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
You really are ignorant aren't you,.... there is or has been recently UN peacekeepers and sundry military assistance forces in all those countries listed above,.. you end one conflict and another starts up,..... get in the real world.

Well excuse my ignorance!!!!!!!!

did you actually look at the numbers of military personnel in those areas, the cost of the peace keeping efforts in relaion to those in the the affore mentioned areas. I would say it was very much a token effort.

If I were to get in the real world, I would imagine there are only a few countries whose military power has the sufficent respect to halt any conflicts.
A UN peacekeeping force made up as in Central Africa has a simillar effect as sending the Warlmington Home Guard to Libya!!

bluestt

Feb 18, 2011
Didn't take Cameron and his cronies long, did it?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Well excuse my ignorance!!!!!!!!

did you actually look at the numbers of military personnel in those areas, the cost of the peace keeping efforts in relaion to those in the the affore mentioned areas. I would say it was very much a token effort.

If I were to get in the real world, I would imagine there are only a few countries whose military power has the sufficent respect to halt any conflicts.
A UN peacekeeping force made up as in Central Africa has a simillar effect as sending the Warlmington Home Guard to Libya!!

Well actually yes,...

Congo 17000
Darfur - 17000
Sudan - 9500
Ivory Coast 7500
Liberia - 10000

...and thats just current deployments in Africa,.... how many do you want sent?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Didn't take Cameron and his cronies long, did it?
How long did it take Blair and his cronies then,..... didnt realise it was a competition.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
A NATO armoured brigade could end the regular conflict in a week.

It's just the 20 years of guerilla warfare they don't want to get involved in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here