Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed´s penalties

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Am I the only one who worries about Hemed´s penalties? I have no problem with his record, he seems to be able to send the keepr the wrong way and then roll it accurately into the other corner.

I just wish he will hit it a bit harder. If the keeper guesses correctly and goes the right way he should be able to save it easily and Hemed will look a bit of a pillock.

If he gave it some welly even if the keeper did go the right way it would still probably go in.

One day, maybe very soon, a keeper is going to guess correctly and save one pretty easily. I just hope it happens when we are three nil up and not in the last minute away at Boro when a goal would see us promoted.

Disagree on several points.
First, he's an assured penalty taker. Second, he has hit one hard: the one against MK Dons. Third, a keeper has already guessed correctly: against Wolves.
I'm reassured by him because he's actually got a range of penalties. Sometimes he waits for the keeper to move, and then strokes it in the other corner. As with MK Dons, sometimes he hits it hard. And sometimes he dinks it down the middle, as he did against Leeds(?). That's some range of kicks he's demonstrated in five or six spot kicks.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
To be honest I really can't remember a penalty taker I was that comfortable with or confident about, There certinly hasn't been one during the Amex years.

I will always remember Gus turning his back on the game and looking into the crowd whenever we took a penalty. Obviously he was even less confident than us that his man was going to score!
Ashley Barnes was lethal from the spot.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
To be honest I really can't remember a penalty taker I was that comfortable with or confident about, There certinly hasn't been one during the Amex years.

Spanish Dave never missed a penalty and I had confidence he would always score.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
When you think back to the Poyet era, I'm very happy with Tomer's record.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Am I the only one who worries about Hemed´s penalties? I have no problem with his record, he seems to be able to send the keepr the wrong way and then roll it accurately into the other corner.

I just wish he will hit it a bit harder. If the keeper guesses correctly and goes the right way he should be able to save it easily and Hemed will look a bit of a pillock.

If he gave it some welly even if the keeper did go the right way it would still probably go in.

One day, maybe very soon, a keeper is going to guess correctly and save one pretty easily. I just hope it happens when we are three nil up and not in the last minute away at Boro when a goal would see us promoted.

Not the only one.

Not entirely guesses from the keeper. There is a psychology about them and Hemed fails. There is also research. Whereas the keepers can get better, so can Hemed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Disagree on several points.
First, he's an assured penalty taker. Second, he has hit one hard: the one against MK Dons. Third, a keeper has already guessed correctly: against Wolves.
I'm reassured by him because he's actually got a range of penalties. Sometimes he waits for the keeper to move, and then strokes it in the other corner. As with MK Dons, sometimes he hits it hard. And sometimes he dinks it down the middle, as he did against Leeds(?). That's some range of kicks he's demonstrated in five or six spot kicks.
This. The opposing keepers and coaches that study him won't have a fricking clue what he is going to do because he varies it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

a keeper has already guessed correctly: against Wolves.

Surely this proves my point? From memory Hemed didn´t hit it hard, the keeper guessed correctly and saved it. Result - two points dropped.

If he had hit it harder maybe the keeper wouldn't have saved it? Who knows?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I'd rather have Tomer take them than anyone else, to be honest. And he's doing a pretty decent job of them at the moment.
Find something else to worry about :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Surely this proves my point? From memory Hemed didn´t hit it hard, the keeper guessed correctly and saved it. Result - two points dropped.

If he had hit it harder maybe the keeper wouldn't have saved it? Who knows?

No it doesn't. Because that would be highly selective. He's hit seven or eight penalties for us (including the one against Sevilla), and the one you're focusing on is the one that was saved. All but one of these he hasn't hit hard. I think the keeper would have saved the Wolves one however hard he hit it, because it was only a third/half of the way to the side, rather than right in the corner.
He's scored all-bar-one of seven or eight, which is as good a ratio as we can hope for at this level in my book. (PS, Aguero missed a penalty in the CL QF this week, too.)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Every penalty taking tactic has the potential to result in no goal. Blasting it can go high and wide, and can still be saved by a keeper that doesn't get involved in the psychology, just picks a side and goes with it and is on his way to the right part of the goal as it's kicked, countering the speed of the wellied shot. Blasting it is no guarantee of success. Just ask O'Grady or Ulloa.

As such, I get nervous whenever we have a penalty. Especially when there are delays. But simply because it's a penalty, not because whatever tactic players employ for their penalties.

I want the player to do whatever they are comfortable with.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You do realise hitting a ball harder makes it a lot more difficult to control and can easily skew a shot wide. Very rarely do you get penalty takers who hammer it, for that exact reason.

80% strike rate? Can't complain, didn't frank lampard used to just caress them into the net and he had a fantastic record from the spot.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I disagree. Once he scored the penalty at the Millenium, he had them saved in the Championship up until he left us in the January, because keepers knew he would do his stutter.

He missed one penalty for us....Millwall away. He scored all others

On the subject of good penalty takers, Nicky Forster was pretty good no?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Every penalty taking tactic has the potential to result in no goal. Blasting it can go high and wide, and can still be saved by a keeper that doesn't get involved in the psychology, just picks a side and goes with it and is on his way to the right part of the goal as it's kicked, countering the speed of the wellied shot. Blasting it is no guarantee of success. Just ask O'Grady or Ulloa.

As such, I get nervous whenever we have a penalty. Especially when there are delays. But simply because it's a penalty, not because whatever tactic players employ for their penalties.

I want the player to do whatever they are comfortable with.

Spot on. But Hemed is entirely comfortable with his approach. He did discuss his penalty approach and mentioned the miss against Wolves, indicating that this was somewhat of an anomaly, as he'd had a decent hit-rate in Spain..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here