Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed pen

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Assuming this is your first season you would be correct but my point is that he is not the best ever and even debatably at The Amex as I would say David Lopez was as good if not better.

The best is someone's opinion. You can't say he is not the best. You can only say I do not think he is the best. You are so arrogant at times on here. Anyone who doesn't agree with you apparently knows nothing.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Assuming this is your first season you would be correct but my point is that he is not the best ever and even debatably at The Amex as I would say David Lopez was as good if not better.

Was Lopez still here last season then?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
By then I had seen 3 promotions at least and many penalty takers but that is down to being older than you. One bit of advice never take somebody on unless you have either the balls or knowledge to beat them.

I would say that scoring a penalty is harder now than it was 30+ years ago.

Not only are goalkeepers; as a rule, bigger, fitter and stronger but the integration of technology in to football has completely changed the game. 20+ years ago you'd send a scout to a few of your opponents games, if you were lucky your scout might see your opponent take a penalty and be able to pass on where he put the said penalty. Nowadays even a team with limited resources like Burton would have been able to sit their keeper down and show him Hemeds last 20 penalties, where he placed them, if there's anyway of predicting based on his run-up etc.

Comparing Hemed to a player we sold 60 years ago is asinine and using your age as an excuse to be an ignorant, arrogant ******** is exactly the kind of move people on here expect from you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The best is someone's opinion. You can't say he is not the best. You can only say I do not think he is the best. You are so arrogant at times on here. Anyone who doesn't agree with you apparently knows nothing.

you are of course correct it is an opinion but surely everybody believes their opinion is the correct one and a basis on which to argue.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I am surprised the REF did not ask for a replay given the number of players in the box before it was actually taken..

Yeah it seems to be rarely enforced. They seem to let it go if the encroachment is evenly by both sets of players, as was the case here. The first encroachment was by the Burton player, so it would be harsh to call a retake.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
you are of course correct it is an opinion but surely everybody believes their opinion is the correct one and a basis on which to argue.

Yes, obviously everyone believes their opinion is correct. However, we don't all say that it must be someone's first season watching Albion if they disagree with them. It felt like you were looking down on posters for saying Hemed was the best penalty taker (or one of the best).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It was definitely a penalty. The only surprise was that the ref didn't cover the spot in shaving foam just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Not only are goalkeepers; as a rule, bigger, fitter and stronger but the integration of technology in to football has completely changed the game. 20+ years ago you'd send a scout to a few of your opponents games, if you were lucky your scout might see your opponent take a penalty and be able to pass on where he put the said penalty. Nowadays even a team with limited resources like Burton would have been able to sit their keeper down and show him Hemeds last 20 penalties, where he placed them, if there's anyway of predicting based on his run-up etc.

Comparing Hemed to a player we sold 60 years ago is asinine and using your age as an excuse to be an ignorant, arrogant ******** is exactly the kind of move people on here expect from you.

This is a very good point. You only have to listen to David Stockdale's comments every time he saves a penalty and the work that Ben Roberts and his team do to see this.

Also, the rules have changed in recent years. I think keepers weren't allowed to move along their lines before a penalty at one point and also officials are more lenient about keepers coming off their line a bit (giving them more chance to save).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It has become easier from the aspect that refs rarely take into account players in the box, goal keepers moving forward early. You very rarely see penalties ordered to be retaken , yesterday was a point in fact many players from both sides encroaching. To say scouting is now a bonus is slightly beneficial but in the 50s everybody knew Tommy Harmer at Spurs put the ball in the keepers top left hand corner he never changed it and I dont remember hearing of him missing one. In our case Jimmy Langley used power straight down the middle, I knew it so other keepers would have.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How many did he take? At a guess I would estimate it at no more than 10, possibly only about 6, in his entire time with us but I cannot remember him missing one..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
By then I had seen 3 promotions at least and many penalty takers but that is down to being older than you. One bit of advice never take somebody on unless you have either the balls or knowledge to beat them.

1958 and 1965? what are the others?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here