Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed and Murray

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I just think that Ashley Barnes was ridiculously hounded out of the club by the post-Withdean ignorati. Boy was brave, aggressive and always knew exactly where the goal was. Sort of like the anti-Baldock, really. Have no doubt whatsoever that Ashley Barnes would be as successful back at the club as Glenn Murray is already proving to be.

I don't deny he's a decent player - did a good job for us, particularly in helping out defensively on the left hand side! Not his fault - it was a job we sorely needed doing! I don't feel he is exactly what we need right now - more of a rival in a similar vein to Murray and Hemed, whereas what we really need, IMHO, is a number 10 (or a better Baldock, if you like).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't deny he's a decent player - did a good job for us, particularly in helping out defensively on the left hand side! Not his fault - it was a job we sorely needed doing! I don't feel he is exactly what we need right now - more of a rival in a similar vein to Murray and Hemed, whereas what we really need, IMHO, is a number 10 (or a better Baldock, if you like).

Remembering of course that, latterly in particular, Barnes was played almost exclusively out wide rather than through the middle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Don't deny we need a proper full-on partner for Murray. But most of all we need to nip this season's dumb cliche about 'needing a number 10' in the bud right now. Nobody on here ever 'needed a number 10' up til about a month ago, same as nobody anywhere ever going for lunch expected to see a 'pulled pork' anything on the menu before about eighteen months ago.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barnes is hardly Mr Prolific for that matter neither has Murray in the Premier League:-

Barnes 5 goals from 35 appearances.
Murray 11 from 52.

Both have had a 'purple patch' season, 2 in Murray's case.

I'd imagine both would enjoy Albion life under CH, it's hard to think of any footballer that wouldn't.
AB certainly wouldn't find himself in the truly bizarre non-attacking, 'holding' left winger bullshit position Poyet forced on him.

But nevertheless I'd like to think there's considerably better out there capable of playing the role of 'nippy quick space creator'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't deny we need a proper full-on partner for Murray. But most of all we need to nip this season's cliche about 'needing a number 10' in the bud right now. Nobody on here ever 'needed a number 10' up til about a month ago, same as nobody anywhere ever going for lunch expected to see a 'pulled pork' anything on the menu before about eighteen months ago.
I think the idea of a 'number 10' goes back a bit further than a month! Agree with you about the pulled pork though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess I could have waited a minute and just written:-

THIS.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't deny we need a proper full-on partner for Murray. But most of all we need to nip this season's dumb cliche about 'needing a number 10' in the bud right now. Nobody on here ever 'needed a number 10' up til about a month ago.

Hughton played Baldock and then Wilson as a #10 all last season.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Its good that Hemed,now has competition for his place. IMO it was noticeable that when SB came on ,we looked more dangerous. Competition now is needed for Baldock.......

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Back to the 70s/early 80s really - a big man up front playing with a smaller, quicker and (usually more skilful) one alongside.

Toshack and Keegan
McDougall and Boyer
Spider and Wardy
Murray/Hemed and ...............?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Maybe, I was bemoaning the fact that we now have a totally brand new earlydoors contender for Cliche Of The Season as in 'we need to sign a Number 10'. Nobody to my knowledge ever said that before this past month. Same as nobody ever said 'we need a Signing Of Intent' / 'Marquee Signing' ever apart from that Summer we signed CMS. Just almost-semi-interested in the origin of such meaningless guff, that suddenly everybody's spouting out of a clear blue sky

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'd personally like to see Baldock and Hemed start, Murray come on after 60+ minutes.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just almost-semi-interested in the origin of such meaningless guff, that suddenly everybody's spouting out of a clear blue sky

Perhaps it comes from this...

"We’d still like to bring in two players. Our thinking was to play Alex Pritchard as a No.10 off the front, so that is still a position we’re looking at and, of course, centre-half as well."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14663664.Hughton_targets_two_more_signings/

and how he describes how he uses Baldock
“Generally, if you are going to play [4-4-2], you need one of them to be a little bit more of a link player. That is what Sam has given us. He is able to stretch teams to create that little bit of space between midfield and a back line.
“He also does that valuable link play, dropping back when the opposition have the ball.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14427880.Hughton_spells_out_why_Baldock_s_return_is_such_a_boost/

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe, I was bemoaning the fact that we now have a totally brand new earlydoors contender for Cliche Of The Season as in 'we need to sign a Number 10'. Nobody to my knowledge ever said that before this past month. Same as nobody ever said 'we need a Signing Of Intent' / 'Marquee Signing' ever apart from that Summer we signed CMS. Just almost-semi-interested in the origin of such meaningless guff, that suddenly everybody's spouting out of a clear blue sky

Didn't the idea of a number 10 come around the time people starting asking wtf (that's where, not what, btw) should we play Rooney?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd personally like to see Baldock and Hemed start, Murray come on after 60+ minutes.
I'd have liked a marquee, statement of intent, number 10 signing before the season started.
They would have had time to work together, bond as a unit, and found their pecking order, within a fluid system of player management.

:lolol:

el punal

Don't deny we need a proper full-on partner for Murray. But most of all we need to nip this season's dumb cliche about 'needing a number 10' in the bud right now. Nobody on here ever 'needed a number 10' up til about a month ago, same as nobody anywhere ever going for lunch expected to see a 'pulled pork' anything on the menu before about eighteen months ago.

A pulled pork as far as I am concerned is a very happy pig.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

:tantrum: so people can only use phrases you use ???; guff such as early doors :facepalm:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Perhaps it comes from this...

"We’d still like to bring in two players. Our thinking was to play Alex Pritchard as a No.10 off the front, so that is still a position we’re looking at and, of course, centre-half as well."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14663664.Hughton_targets_two_more_signings/

and how he describes how he uses Baldock
“Generally, if you are going to play [4-4-2], you need one of them to be a little bit more of a link player. That is what Sam has given us. He is able to stretch teams to create that little bit of space between midfield and a back line.
“He also does that valuable link play, dropping back when the opposition have the ball.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14427880.Hughton_spells_out_why_Baldock_s_return_is_such_a_boost/

Ah, right, cheers, that does seem to go a fair way towards the origins of that most meaningless of this season's cliches :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here