Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with my laptop

minton magic

Jul 15, 2003
Sussex
I know this is an Albion site, but I have seen people ask for help with their computers, so here goes!

I am having problems with my laptop. It has a CD/DVD RW but at the moment (probably due to a virus I think) it will only play a DVD. It does not recognise any CD even if its a music CD or a game CD. Does anyone know what I can do to fix my laptop.

I can't seem to fix it. as all my drivers etc... are on cd, and the laptop can't read any type of CD at the moment.

Any help will be greatfully received. Please email, IM or reply on this thread.

Many thanks.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
last time this happened to me it was caused by a faulty upload of a MS update.

Have you had an MS update recently?

Have you tried system restore to see if its able too solve the problem? Go back to a time before you had the problem.
(I assume you are using an OS that has system restore on it (XP or ME) start,programmes,accessories,system tools, system restore.)

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If its a Dell Inspiron, the DVD/CD-RW doesn't work right on the supplied Windows XP Home unless you turn on the MAPI service, under the administrative tools. Dell might have fixed this now, but they've never been good at software...

minton magic

Jul 15, 2003
Sussex
Thanks for all your replies. I have a Toshiba and tried restoring and also updating to the new version of Windows Media Player. So far, this has not fixed the problem. I am about to throw the laptop out of the window at the moment lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any more suggestions? Thanks.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
try reloading the CD drivers on the original system discs.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It sounds like it's probably hardware. CDDVDRW drives have two lasers and one could be malfunctioning.

However, it can also be a corrupted Windows registry.

The best way to tell the difference is to try to boot from the drive using a bootable CD-ROM or try to access the CD drive with a CD inserted from a DOS boot floppy.

RichieBowen

Jan 10, 2012
USA
Cool the CUP and Clean up the dust on laptop motherboard. The processor could be overheating if you are consistently alive your laptop for a connected time. Therefore, the adjustment tends to blah down if the temperature increases and goes over the acclimatized specifications.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here