Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with a problem guys

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
If I saw a wallet or sum of money where I was working I'd tell the customer to "take that out the way, you don't want to lose that do you"

When you work in those places you have to be careful of peoples stuff and make sure you DON'T get in to a position where you could be accused.

Some people are stupid, I've worked in places where equipment is secret or classified and they start using their phone to take pictures without asking or checking if its ok.

Some contractors these days just start work without checking anything. Just dumb!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Brings to mind a situation I found myself in. A couple of people I know bought us tickets to a game a couple of years ago. I was to give them the money for my ticket the following week when they had returned home (up North). The next week they texted me their bank details. Some weird Smile account or something. They said I had to go to Post Office to pay it in which I duly did but at the counter they said they could not take money over the counter for that account. I tried an online transfer, that didn't work with their account. They also couldn't pay in cheques. God knows what kind of account they had, but it was might odd. They started to get aggro with me and I wasn't going to see them for ages so said I had no choice to send them cash in the post. I wasn't happy to do so but I did.
The cash went missing unsurprisingly. No-matter what I said they didn't believe me and they got so aggro I just resolved to give it them if I ever saw them again. Even though I was already down £25.
They never spoke to me again.
Odd things do happen but your situation sounds fairly cut and dry.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Brings to mind a situation I found myself in. A couple of people I know bought us tickets to a game a couple of years ago. I was to give them the money for my ticket the following week when they had returned home (up North). The next week they texted me their bank details. Some weird Smile account or something. They said I had to go to Post Office to pay it in which I duly did but at the counter they said they could not take money over the counter for that account. I tried an online transfer, that didn't work with their account. They also couldn't pay in cheques. God knows what kind of account they had, but it was might odd. They started to get aggro with me and I wasn't going to see them for ages so said I had no choice to send them cash in the post. I wasn't happy to do so but I did.
The cash went missing unsurprisingly. No-matter what I said they didn't believe me and they got so aggro I just resolved to give it them if I ever saw them again. Even though I was already down £25.
They never spoke to me again.
Odd things do happen but your situation sounds fairly cut and dry.

Yeah right.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
What is your location and where is the companies fitting depot?
I used to work for Anglian, and most of the work was in a 30/40 mile radius of their depot, so no excuse for not returning to your house with the wallet.
Phone the installation office and demand to speak to the installation manager, if they palm you off, tell them you are going to the head office and to Watchdog,
that will get their arses in gear. Nothig like bad publicity for a national company.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
Hi SS, some good advice here. Hope you sort this quickly and without more stress.

It reminded me of a conversation at work when people were discussing what they had done to people who had crossed them. One guy had changed some money in a money exchange (small shack) while on holiday. As the cashier handed him the money, the cashier dropped the money. This guy took the money and walked out counting it. Surprise, the money was short about £20. He went back into the money exchange and was told mistakes cannot be rectified after you had left the premises. There was even a sign in English pointing out this fact and the worlds largest bouncer had mysteriously appeared.

As this guy wasn't the biggest of blokes we all asked him what he did? We expected maybe speaking to police or tourist rep. He said 'I bought some really good padlocks!'

There was a stunned silence and everyone just looked at him. He went on to explain that he waited until the cashier locked up at night by padlocking the shutters and then added his padlocks to the shutters. The following morning when the cashier couldn't open the money exchange he watched and waved from a safe distance. Brilliant but expensive revenge as the padlocks cost £60!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you haven't already got a text admitting to the mistake, i'd start by trying to get more evidence. Maybe a nice text just explaining that you're stressed, and asking something like 'which postal service did you use?', so that you get something back that can be used. Because if everything he says is true, it's still his fault that it hasn't been sent back.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ring the company first thing, as this may not be the first time or the company who maybe very reputable would want to know themselves as this is damaging possibly there good name. The company may offer to pay you and then deduct it from any monies owed to the contractors. I would not have given them my account details under any circumstances, they have already stolen money from your house, you should not give them the opportunity to clear your bank account out.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Thanks guys ,I think the first step is to ring the company you are right .I did try and give them the benefit of the doubt but have now run out of patience,and like people have said ,if that was most people they would drive all the way back to the house regardless to prove it was an accident and not tarnish their reputation. And something doesnt seem right ,but the reason I have held off is the guy said he had it and cant see what he can possibly gain .I have drafted a letter which I will send after I have spoken to them and get the ball rolling .

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
call the company first thing tomorrow. If they offer no help or compensation you must name and shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here