Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is going well.

Thanks to those who have signed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In addition they reall have not helped themselves with some of their statements in the Argus article.

'Director and supervisor Pauliina Talvensaari insisted Northern Lights was “food-led”', that is a lie anyone who has been in there knows that, why would they be open until 2am if they were a restaurant? Accusing the police of making 'false statements' is foolish too, a more conciliatory tone would have been sensible.

There are plenty of late night restaurants in Brighton. I can think of at least three such places along Church Rd I used to regularly frequent within about 10 mins walk from my house. Plenty along the seafront as well as the Market Diner. And remember the council gave them a license to open until 2am on the basis they are 'food-led.'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I played a gig there last week so I'd assumed it was a pub/small venue which served food.

Shame, it's a nice place.

It's a food venue which serves drink :smile:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Damn these vertical drinking bars. We need more horizontal drinking bars.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There are plenty of late night restaurants in Brighton. I can think of at least three such places along Church Rd I used to regularly frequent within about 10 mins walk from my house. Plenty along the seafront as well as the Market Diner.

The Market diner is not a restaurant, Buddies is pushing the case but fair enough I'll allow you that. What restaurant on Church Road is open until 2am? Kebabs and plastic seats are not allowed...

You are correct about one thing though.

And remember the council gave them a license to open until 2am on the basis they are 'food-led.'

there in lies their biggest problem, Northern Lights is not a food led establishment. They have contravened their license and are being punished for it, justifiably so. It is sad that Brighton may lose one of it's more interesting bars, but knowing how much work my establishment puts in to adhering to much more onerous licensing conditions, I have little sympathy with the owners of Northern Lights.

All they had to do was provide table service for their customers and they would still be fine now. It really is that simple.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Market diner is not a restaurant, Buddies is pushing the case but fair enough I'll allow you that. What restaurant on Church Road is open until 2am? Kebabs and plastic seats are not allowed...

You are correct about one thing though.

there in lies their biggest problem, Northern Lights is not a food led establishment. They have contravened their license and are being punished for it, justifiably so. It is sad that Brighton may lose one of it's more interesting bars, but knowing how much work my establishment puts in to adhering to much more onerous licensing conditions, I have little sympathy with the owners of Northern Lights.

All they had to do was provide table service for their customers and they would still be fine now. It really is that simple.

The Market Diner is a restaurant. If it isn't, what is it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The issue is that the northern lights is supposedly food led, which it isn't.

Out of interest what is the council definition of food-led?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It's not a council definition.

The Institute for Public Policy Research states a food-led premises is "an outlet... with food as the primary focus. For example, Beefeater, Harvester and Brewers Fayre. This also includes pubs in which the sale of food is significant to overall sales."

Can you say the the Northern Lights is primarily where people go to eat? The Police are evidently not happy that this is the case.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I don't work for the council but would suspect it is more of a general licence term, rather than a council specific phrase.

In addition the license also says that there should be no vertical drinking, another licence term as I understand it, referring to drinking whilst standing. Whenever I've been in there it's been rammed of people standing and drinking, not eating.

Don't get me wrong I really like the place and don't want to see it close. It just annoys me that people are getting all frothy at the mouth and don't seem to understand what the issue is!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We should have a restaurant that opens in to the small hours. I've had some great meals at 10/11pm in London and spanning a couple of hours with drinks and dancing at the end. Not everyone wants to eat at a glorified greasy spoon at midnight.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I love Northern Lights, but to be frank, if they are not complying with their licence, then a petition isn't much use.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here