Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help required for getting refunds on flights booked in error

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Just wondered if anyone can help. My friend was trying to book flights on Ryanair for her and some friends and she had two screens open, one for the 5 people who were going (to see if there was availability) and one for her. She meant to book the one for just her but by some accident booked the other one. Now I know she has been a bit stupid but in some ways its a mistake that anyone could make. Ryanair say that she cannot cancel. The stupid thing is she didn't even input correct names for the other 4 people but they say it would cost an addiitonal £100 per ticket to change the names, so she can't even really use the flights without incurring a further £400.

Isn't there any legislation like the distance selling rules which mean she is entitled to a refund? Any ideas welcome.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You'll never hear the words 'Refund' and 'Ryanair' in the same chapter let alone sentance, good luck with trying though. If your freind paid by credit card she might get somewhere but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The chances are, she's booked the cheapest, non-refundable, changeable only at vast expense ticket type, and knowing Ryanair's general stance on such things, I would say she has as much chance of a refund as I do of running the line at Watford on Saturday.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The chances are, she's booked the cheapest, non-refundable, changeable only at vast expense ticket type, and knowing Ryanair's general stance on such things, I would say she has as much chance of a refund as I do of running the line at Watford on Saturday.

Ha ha, you've NO chance, you're a dizzy woman, what do you know about football? Strewth! :jester:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some 'proper' airlines give a 24 hour window, for this kind of thing, as long as you have not done it before.

However, with Ryanair you don't have a chance in hell

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I doubt many airlines would refund you in this situation, it's not just Ryanair. BA can be just as arsey if they want to. Otherwise everyone would start turning around and saying they made bookings in error for all sorts of reasons, genuine or otherwise.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Do you know the offside rule , love ? :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I doubted you on the £100 name change thing but it's quite correct...

A passenger name can be changed online at the rate of £100/€100 or via the airport or reservation centre at the rate of £150/€150. Name changes can be made up to 4 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time either online or via a reservation centre (subject to opening hours). Any name change made to a flight reservation must be for that individual passenger's complete flight itinerary.

I'm amazed the OFT have let them get away with this since the fee is obviously completely out of proportion with the actual cost of Ryanair performing the transaction which will be very close to £0. It's obviously there to prevent people booking up cheap seats when they are released and then selling them on at a profit nearer the flight time, but it's outrageous for people who have made genuine mistakes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
£100 to change each name!? Jesus. Daylight robbery. I really loathe Ryanair. Used them once and never again.

If the lower/middle management are not budging, I would write a letter a day to the Chairman and keep writing until some sort of agreement is reached - fanciful, I know.

If all else fails, perhaps she could find four people with the names she used and coax them into going on holiday with her.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Reminds me of the person who did a 'test-run' on the RyanAir website, entered in loads of fake details, his credit card number and then was bamboozled when after pressing 'confirm' it was all booked to a Mr A.N.Other and friends.

Personally, I don't see why the airlines should provide the user a refund in such circumstances. Once you Confirm and Agree to something, that's it!

If they were more lenient in such circumstances, the system could easily be abused.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
£100 to change each name!? Jesus. Daylight robbery. I really loathe Ryanair. Used them once and never again.

If the lower/middle management are not budging, I would write a letter a day to the Chairman and keep writing until some sort of agreement is reached - fanciful, I know.

If all else fails, perhaps she could find four people with the names she used and coax them into going on holiday with her.

Could be difficult finding people with the same name , Mickey Mouse , Donald Duck , Pluto and Bambi.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

As Bozza has said, the reason for this is to stop people buying up tickets early on and then selling them for a profit at a date closer to departure.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How much is it to change your name by deed poll? If it is cheaper to do that and change it back, then we could be onto a winner.

Thirty three quid. Plus another thirty three to change it back, and £77.50 for a new passport (plus, presumably, another £77.50 when you go back to your old name).

I suspect Ryanair already knew that :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here