Help Protect British Jobs

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Gillette announced today they were moving a large proportion of their UK manufacturing operation to Eastern Europe with the loss of hundreds of British jobs, as a cost saving excercise.

Norwich Union last week announed the loss of 2,500 British Jobs as call centre positions were moved to India.

There have also been numerous other examples.

I say, if these companies want to cut costs by trimming UK operations, we should hit them hard - in the pocket. The British should simply refuse to use their Brands until the learn we won't stand for it. :angry:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
its a false economy

if more and more businesses go abroad, more and more people will be unemployed, thus having no money to spend on the goods their making!

when are business gonna wake up and smell to coffee?!!!

im with you on this, HSBC have gone abroad and without sounding racist, my mrs phoned them up to sort her account out ,spoke to a woman in a call centre in INDIA and could hardly understand a word she was saying!, my mrs had to go to her bank in person to sort the account out!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, I've been looking to try out one of these new Wilkinson Sword four blade razors but can you find one ?

Oh, I've worked for Braun who are owned by Gillette and yes, they are a bunch of arseholes.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
You can't blame them for moving on just like the others as they have smelt the coffee and realise the cost in this country is a joke like many other things.:nono:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
So I can't buy
Dr Martens
Dyson
Gillette
Timex
HSBC (don't bank there anyway)

What else?

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
berkshire seagull said:
You can't blame them for moving on just like the others as they have smelt the coffee and realise the cost in this country is a joke like many other things.:nono:

So that's a vote for a pay cut is it?

The only thing that is deaer in this country for all this lot is labour costs.

A masters degree grad in Mumbai for half that of a spotty teanager with 1 o'level.

If they want to sell to this country then in my view they should be here. If any firm moves work out of this country cos its cheaper to make somewhere else this country should stop buying it. Not prepared to pay the costs of doing business in this country for the sake of shareholder value.

Exceptions to this are firms who have never manufactured in this country, it is only those who have manufactured a product in this country but move out cos somewhere else is cheaper. If somewhere else is cheaper sell your product somewhere else.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Most airline reservation systems have their travel agent help desks in India, how many of you are going to stop flying as a protest ???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lloyds TSB being balloted about a strike over there being a call centre in the North East being closed down.

I think there is a slightly wider issue here than a few thousand British people having to look for new jobs (unfortunate as that is), and that is the people in India and other third world countries who are paid an insulting hourly rate.

That doesn't look too hopeful bearing in mind the low wages HSBC are already paying to workers in this country. You can read more about that here.

As an aside there is another reason to boycott HSBC here.

xx

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
lower costs = lower shop prices?

somehow i dont think so..... i saw the same sort of thing happen
in late 1980's- consumer spending was going way high, along
with property prices, and interest charges - something had to give - cue numerous 'productivity drives', streamlining, whatever-
redundancy bt another name. i dont see any uk workers being offered (or wanting?) relocation to india, ??

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My former employers outsourced their IT helpdesk to India a couple of years ago. They were rubbish - you'd tell them EXACTLY what the problem was so they could log the call, only for the desktop support chaps to turn up a couple of days later and ask you what the problem was. You can't blame them entirely for being crap because their primary duty is to try and resolve calls there and then (weed out the RTFM and ID10T calls), but it is extremely irritating listening trying to do this when you've already explained that you know what the problem is, how it can be resolved, and that it can only be resolved by someone in this country.

:lolol:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm between minds here. India is being exploited at the moment as they are cheap. A telesales operator in this counry is demmed to be a totally wank job with no respect. In India they are paid more than doctors and Lawyers! (which is about £1500 a year).

As they become more developed they will demand higher wages and the bubble will burst.

Also telesales is still a growing industry in this country dispite this move to india.

I do admit it is bloody hard to understand some of them and they are totally out of touch with British lifestyles and needs. So I feel they fall behind there.

As a software engineer I've also felt the pinch of the Indian revolution as a lot of software is being outsourced to Indian companies. The government have only just stopped handing out work visas like confetti to Indian software engineers coming to work here (as apparently there is a shortage of us!! That's why I was unemployed for 8 months!) Austrailia and the US saw this coming a lot earlier and shut the doors years ago!

If you don't like it then you can vote with your feet! I know I will.

ukade

Oct 7, 2003
Its the goverment.

And the reason why every company is moving is becuase of this jack ass goverment. I voted Labour in becuase I thought they cared and were for the working people as I hated the tories, and still do. On the face of it Labour are Tories in disguise. I personally think that things have got more and more expensive since Labour has come in, two of the most noticable have been that bastard council tax and road tax. If the council tax goes up again eventually there will be uproar especially in the south. I am not voting for anyone. It does not matter who we have in its all always the same and nothing changes. This goverment does not listen to the people. Its about time the general public got together and formed there own party called common sense. The problem with a lot of these politicians and councillers is they have never had a real job or been faced struggling from week to week on minimal wages so they dont understand. Yes unemployment may be down and we are supposed to have one of the strongest economies in europe but this supposed wealth never filters down to people like you and me. The rich get richer and poor get poorer simple as.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Re: Its the goverment.

ukade said:
And the reason why every company is moving is becuase of this jack ass goverment. I voted Labour in becuase I thought they cared and were for the working people as I hated the tories, and still do. On the face of it Labour are Tories in disguise. I personally think that things have got more and more expensive since Labour has come in, two of the most noticable have been that bastard council tax and road tax. If the council tax goes up again eventually there will be uproar especially in the south. I am not voting for anyone. It does not matter who we have in its all always the same and nothing changes. This goverment does not listen to the people. Its about time the general public got together and formed there own party called common sense. The problem with a lot of these politicians and councillers is they have never had a real job or been faced struggling from week to week on minimal wages so they dont understand. Yes unemployment may be down and we are supposed to have one of the strongest economies in europe but this supposed wealth never filters down to people like you and me. The rich get richer and poor get poorer simple as.

There are more than two parties to vote for you know!

I can't stand the opinion. Well I can't stand he Tories and Labour don't seem any better so I give up!

Don't take democracy for granted!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's called comparative advantage and it's the way of the world folks. Look around your house and see what proportion of the goods you have are imported, I doubt if more than 10% of your clothing is from the UK, how many of you drive a Rover car, where was your washing machine, TV and PC made?

What the government should be doing is improving education and training so that more of the population can move out of low paid low skilled work into something which gives them a better wage and greater self-esteem.

Employers will always try to minimise the cost of their main cost centres (labour, materials and overhead) and if you were running a busiiness I am sure you would do something similar........provided it did not reduce the quality of the service/product provided. What is disturbing in relation to the relocation of call centres (having worked in one very briefly no one in their right mind would want to do it) is that the people at the end of the phone in India are often ill trained and offer no assistance

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm about to change banks as my current one, Lloyds TSB are planning to relocate their call centres to India. Frankly they're pretty dreadful now so god only knows how bad they'll be if and when they relocate.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
El Presidente said:
I am sure you would do something similar........provided it did not reduce the quality of the service/product provided. What is disturbing in relation to the relocation of call centres (having worked in one very briefly no one in their right mind would want to do it) is that the people at the end of the phone in India are often ill trained and offer no assistance

The quality is often poorer with queries and questions often unresolved resulting in customer frustration.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The government should increase tariffs on products from companies who formerly employed people in Britain but then outsourced to third world countries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports