Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help needed. Sliding patio doors

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I wonder if anyone can help on here?

My partner has some old metal framed sliding patio doors (8ft x 6ft)which are in a hard wood surround. The wood at the bottom is starting to go, hence its dropped a bit and the door doesn't slide on the runner properly anymore.

Replacing the doors is not an option, and its not a job I could tackle. Does anyone on here know someone, or a reliable firm in the Worthing area who might be able to help?

Cheers

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
Do the doors not shut/lock properly ??

Is the hardwood frame soft enough to put a screwdriver in ?

Are the wheels on the track ?

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Do the doors not shut/lock properly ??

Is the hardwood frame soft enough to put a screwdriver in ?

Are the wheels on the track ?

1. You can only lock them if you lift the door a bit.
2. Yes
3. It's not wheels, it's a groove affair running on a thin metal single runner.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
Ok the sill sounds pretty bad so I would start saving for a new door, but you should be able to adjust the door to make it lock better

there is a hole at the bottom for adjustments (sorry I'm very tired and can't explain myself right now) have a look at this link it should tell you how to do it Adjusting Your Sliding Door | This Old House Mobile - 1. Alternatively go on checkatrade and find a window installer/doctor should not cost you more than £40 if its just that.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Ok the sill sounds pretty bad so I would start saving for a new door, but you should be able to adjust the door to make it lock better

there is a hole at the bottom for adjustments (sorry I'm very tired and can't explain myself right now) have a look at this link it should tell you how to do it Adjusting Your Sliding Door | This Old House Mobile - 1. Alternatively go on checkatrade and find a window installer/doctor should not cost you more than £40 if its just that.

Ok, many thanks. Much appreciated.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
At the bottom of each stile of the sliding door there should be a hole or a U shape, and inside should be a screw to adjust the height of the wheels.
Try and adjust the wheels, eg: tighten the screw, it should raise the door to allow it to slide better, this might also allow the lock to re-locate correctly.
If the cill of the hardwood frame is so badly rotten, then the weight of the doors will cause the doors to drop.
Sounds like you need a new patio door though to be honest.
PM me if you want a trade supply only price.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
At the bottom of each stile of the sliding door there should be a hole or a U shape, and inside should be a screw to adjust the height of the wheels.
Try and adjust the wheels, eg: tighten the screw, it should raise the door to allow it to slide better, this might also allow the lock to re-locate correctly.
If the cill of the hardwood frame is so badly rotten, then the weight of the doors will cause the doors to drop.

Sounds like you need a new patio door though to be honest.
PM me if you want a trade supply only price.

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here