Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help needed concerning the laws of the game

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I had a bet with someone in the pub on Saturday during the Arsenal match, he's an Arsenal fan btw, when the penalty was given for handball he said that all handballs in the box are automatic yellows.

I argued that this isn't the case and he was getting a little aggressive as i was not agreeing with him. In the end i decided to bet him to shut him up.

He agreed and i said 'deliberate handball stoping a goal scoring chance is an automatic red card' to which he said that i can't have that as a win as it was a technicality.

Also though, i still don't think that all other handballs in the box are yellows but again he kept saying they were, so i need to know where to look to find the law in the game that proves me right basically. I've googled it and can't find anything.

Can anyone help me?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think it is becoming an urban myth that all offences resulting a penalty should be carded. This myth seems to have taken hold in the last 18 months and I haven't got a clue where it originated. I'm with you on this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Elphick gave away a pen for handball on Saturday, I see from the BBC stats that he was carded, but I dunno if it was for that incident or not.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There's nothing in the rules about handballs in the box being a yellow. There's a bit of a grey area as deliberate handball is a yellow card (but all handball's should be deliberate really)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
but all handball's should be deliberate really

They should be, but they aren't, and this is another of the urban myths that the so-called "experts" in the studio seem to perpetrate, as it's not about "ball-to-hand" or whether they could have got their hand out of the way. If the ball striking the arm disadvantaged the opposition then a foul can be given.

We really should have a ref in the studio for all live games, as too many of us just end up debating what we think teh rules are because we are guided so heavily by Andy Gray and Jamie Redknapp.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The use of the word "deliberate" when it comes to handballs is total nonsense. 1 in about 10,000 handballs are "deliberate", yet obviously far, far more than that are (rightfully) given.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We really should have a ref in the studio for all live games, as too many of us just end up debating what we think teh rules are because we are guided so heavily by Andy Gray and Jamie Redknapp.

That would be amazing. When I was in the US a few years back they had an ex-F1 mechanic as a studio expert for their formula one coverage and it vastly inmproved the programme. Putting a referee or even an ex-referee on the studio panel would really help straighten a lot of these issues out.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That would be amazing. When I was in the US a few years back they had an ex-F1 mechanic as a studio expert for their formula one coverage and it vastly inmproved the programme. Putting a referee or even an ex-referee on the studio panel would really help straighten a lot of these issues out.

the problem is that referees are, by definition, devoid of personality or the ability to engage in logical argument :lolol:

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington

Haha well me being 5 foot 5 and him being 6 foot 3, and despite this night being an arse, he is a mate of mine i'm hardly going to do much to him. Kick him in the shins i guess :shrug:

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Ungentlemanly conduct, 80th minute. That settles it then. Handball in the box is NOT a mandatory yellow.
Good work.

Well here's the thing, Upson wasn't given a card for his one, but he claims that in the laws it says that it is an automatic yellow. I can't find a set of them to find where it says this, or in the real case, doesn't say this.

Dandyman

In London village.
According to FIFA:

The yellow card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted
player has been cautioned.
The red card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted
player has been sent off.
Only a player, substitute or substituted player may be shown the red or yellow
card.
The referee has the authority to take disciplinary sanctions from the moment
he enters the fi eld of play until he leaves the fi eld of play after the fi nal whistle.
A player who commits a cautionable or sending-off offence, either on or off
the fi eld of play, whether directed towards an opponent, a team-mate, the
referee, an assistant referee or any other person, is disciplined according to the
nature of the offence committed.
Cautionable Offences
A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
• unsporting behaviour
• dissent by word or action
• persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
• delaying the restart of play
• failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
kick, free kick or throw-in
• entering or re-entering the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
• deliberately leaving the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT
A substitute or substituted player is cautioned if he commits any of the
following three offences:
• unsporting behaviour
• dissent by word or action
• delaying the restart of play
Sending-off Offences
A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
• serious foul play
• violent conduct
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within
his own penalty area)
• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving
towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a
penalty kick
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
• receiving a second caution in the same match
A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the
vicinity of the fi eld of play and the technical area.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I think it is becoming an urban myth that all offences resulting a penalty should be carded. This myth seems to have taken hold in the last 18 months and I haven't got a clue where it originated. I'm with you on this.

Vidic* in the Carling CUp FInal should've been sent off.FACT.

*or whoever it was that fouled the villa bloke!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Vidic* in the Carling CUp FInal should've been sent off.FACT.

*or whoever it was that fouled the villa bloke!

Absolutely, it was a clear goalscoring opportunity. However I stand by my point, not all offences in the penalty area should result in a card.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah agree with you on that one, just Refs are not and have not been consistent enough for years with blatant obvious card situations.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think it's interesting that the laws of the game say offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures is a straight red. How often do referees uphold this law?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here