Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help me pick a new LCD TV

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
So you kind souls have already helped me with my home cinema system. I'm now depending on you to help me complete my lounge and assist in picking the TV too.

I'm by no means a technophobe but I must admit I do tend to switch off when trying to decipher technical specifications that would even confuse Stephen Hawking.

Basically I'm looking for a decent 37inch LCD TV and this one has caught my eye at the moment:

LG 37LF75

So I guess the key questions are:

1) Does this look a respectable purchase to you LCD aficionados?
2) Are LG any good for LCD TVs?
3) Any of your own suggestions up to about £700-£800?

Ta muchly.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I was looking through 'what hi fi' today.Thats worth a look as it reviews loads of tvs.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I was looking through 'what hi fi' today.Thats worth a look as it reviews loads of tvs.

Perhaps I should take a trip down to the magazine library (WHSmith).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'd go for Toshiba or Panasonic, personally. Samsung's are tacky, imo. Sony's overpriced. Never seen an LG, tbh.

1080p overkill for most - 1080i will do yer, and save you a lot.

Get as big as your partner will allow. You get used to the size within a week anyway.

However, terrestrial broadcasts can look ropey on anything above 37in.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i got this
B000P46N1G

gets good reviews, 1080 p so is 'futureproof'

price here for it was about 740 a year ago although a quick look seems to show they dont stock it anymore. this website was cheapest i found and they were helpful . they did however use city link to deliver it and so we recieved the 3rd one they sent as the others were nicked in transit

results.asp

hope that helps

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
are my links working?

No but I got them out of the image properties.

Pricerunner comes back with £660 upwards for that Toshiba. I've only bought one TV in the last 10 years so don't have much knowledge of which makes are any good and which to avoid. I've had good experience of Sony products in general but they don't seem to have much of a range of 37inch 1080p sets.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its TOTALLY down to personal preference. Ignore the reviews and jargon - just go to a couple of big shops and look at the things and see which picture you like best.

Samsung are generally considered inferior to Panasonic and Sony, but I honestly liked the colours on the Samsungs better in EVERY showroom I visited.

I now have a 37" Samsung LCD which I got on special offer from Comet for just £549. It looks good design wise, the picture is brilliant, and I really couldn't be more pleased with it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Bozza - are you able to put a link up for the Which? Online £1 trial here? (on Tradedoubler I think).

Which? do a really good review of LCD TVs and also compare LCD with Plasma.

Currently doing a £1 for 1 month offer (via Bozza'a link when he adds it) and you get access to all the online reviews from Which for a month. It's a really good source of advice and worth the quid.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I would recommend going to a non franchise TV dealer (ie..not currys/comet etc).

Tell them your budget and they will sort you out plus give you plenty of demo's with proper HD and non HD material.

After sales service will be miles better than the above mentioned cartels too!

Here in Brighton, I would recommend Sutherland Electronics or Hills of Hove.

But of course you may not be based here!

You should have similar outlets wherever you may reside. :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I shall be getting a Sony KDL-40V3000 for £540 from work when my comission hits payroll next month! schwing!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I shall be getting a Sony KDL-40V3000 for £540 from work when my comission hits payroll next month! schwing!

I bought a 42 inch Sony W series LCD just before Christmas and I am extremely happy with everything except that some of the channels get the picture cut off at the sides whatever format i view them in.

Any techies out there know what i'm doing wrong?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It's a little bit over your budget but I'd go for the Toshiba XF355D:

Amazon.co.uk: Toshiba 40XF355D - 40" Widescreen Pictureframe 1080P Full HD LCD TV - With Freeview: Electronics & Photo

It is a 40 inch but because of the very thin frame it has, the size of the actual set is smaller than most 37" sets. A beautiful thing.

Well if I wasn't bothered about getting banned I call Bozza some rude words right about now :rant:

I went down to John Lewis at lunch and saw this TV in between a 37inch and a 40inch set and it looked superb. Measured it and the unit was actually smaller than the 37inch. I think the small bezel improves the experience because there is less clutter around the screen. The screen looked bigger than the one on the 40inch next to it.

John Lewis have got it for £999 (£969 with Quidco cashback) including a 5 year warranty or it's online for £829 without warranty. It looks very impressive when you see it in action but I wouldn't have bothered with a warranty on a cheaper set. I reckon I'd want a warranty if I was spending close to a grand though so I'll be £300 odd worse off but I really want it now :(

Might have to wait a few months and see if it comes down in price by much.

Thanks a lot Bozza :down:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well if I wasn't bothered about getting banned I call Bozza some rude words right about now :rant:

I went down to John Lewis at lunch and saw this TV in between a 37inch and a 40inch set and it looked superb. Measured it and the unit was actually smaller than the 37inch. I think the small bezel improves the experience because there is less clutter around the screen. The screen looked bigger than the one on the 40inch next to it.

John Lewis have got it for £999 (£969 with Quidco cashback) including a 5 year warranty or it's online for £829 without warranty. It looks very impressive when you see it in action but I wouldn't have bothered with a warranty on a cheaper set. I reckon I'd want a warranty if I was spending close to a grand though so I'll be £300 odd worse off but I really want it now :(

Might have to wait a few months and see if it comes down in price by much.

Thanks a lot Bozza :down:

It was in John Lewis when I first saw it too and I was well impressed. They wanted £1599 for it then and that was no more than about 6 months ago - so the price has fallen loads already.

I was quite surprised - in the New Year 'sales' the price was even lower still but seems to have risen a bit since again.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Rangdo, the 'Z' model of that Tosh is even better/more dosh. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here