Votes: 196 87.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Would anyone care to look through the rules of football and find me the expression "Professional Foul"

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Would anyone care to look through the rules of football and find me the expression "Professional Foul"

You're right. It isn't there. It's too colloquial a term, but the term stands for a particular context for a foul which is covered by the rules.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
some very good discussion,
I think the ref made a balls up issuing the 2nd yellow card, I am not entirely sure it is a caution offence.
I have flicked through the laws of the game, power point presentations and it just mentions the punishment as an indirect free kick.

I assume the caution was for unsporting behaviour as the keeper messed up his throw and knew he had to touch the ball again because Buckley was right there. If he'd been all on his own it would have been just an indirect free kick.

This is where it's a shame refs can't be interviewed afterwards or at least provide a list with a line explaining each caution. Would increase everyone's understanding of the laws.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It isn't there, but it is another name for a cynical 'take one for the team' type of foul. You're just being pedantic for the sake of it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A foul with excessive force doesn't need to deny a goal scoring opportunity, but Heaton's foul wasn't excessive force. It was cynical, and for me cynical fouls like that, the taking one for the team to stop counter attacks or whatever should be red card offences, but they are not.

Disregarding this specific incident I do agree that the "taking one for the team" should be more than a yellow. Maybe a 15 minute sin bin?

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Mr Sheldrake should donate his match fee to a charity , firstly not sending Heaton off for the foul on Buckleys frankly is just laughable , but to then send Heaton for simply trying to make up for the awful mistake he , the ref , made earlier makes a mockery of the job he his being paid to do .

I dread to think referees operate in this fashion , even though it helped Brighton to a win how many times this season will we be on the wrong end of one of these awful refereeing howlers .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mr Sheldrake should donate his match fee to a charity , firstly not sending Heaton off for the foul on Buckleys frankly is just laughable , but to then send Heaton for simply trying to make up for the awful mistake he , the ref , made earlier makes a mockery of the job he his being paid to do .

I dread to think referees operate in this fashion , even though it helped Brighton to a win how many times this season will we be on the wrong end of one of these awful refereeing howlers .

As pointed out yesterday, this isn't the first time Sheldrake has been awful against us. He was the ref for the handball/penalty at Withdean when we played Bournemouth. Is he trying to outdo D'Urso?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As pointed out yesterday, this isn't the first time Sheldrake has been awful against us. He was the ref for the handball/penalty at Withdean when we played Bournemouth. Is he trying to outdo D'Urso?

I think the bournemouth one was more the assistant's fault than the ref's.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Pca7olJ.jpg

I still think the ref was right as by this pic and from what I saw the keeper wasn't the last man and the keeper went for the ball. Outside of the box the keeper has the same rights as any other outfielder, but as he missed the ball and took the man then it's a yellow card unless it was dangerous or intentional.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
View attachment 46401

I still think the ref was right as by this pic and from what I saw the keeper wasn't the last man and the keeper went for the ball. Outside of the box the keeper has the same rights as any other outfielder, but as he missed the ball and took the man then it's a yellow card unless it was dangerous or intentional.

Wow, you are far, far more stupid than I could ever give you credit for. You're basing it on one still? You can tell absolutely nothing from that.

Watch the extended highlights from 5:35. There is no way anyone would've covered that and Buckley hardly deviated from a straight run. No way was he going towards the corner. You can use the straight line of the grass cutting when the camera zooms in on the replay around the 6 minute mark.

Sending off all day long.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
View attachment 46401

or denies a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

18 yards out, just off centre, ball at your feet, no one between you and the goal. I'd say that was the definition of an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
or denies a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

18 yards out, just off centre, ball at your feet, no one between you and the goal. I'd say that was the definition of an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Well, quite. It was wider than that, but your point is still valid.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wow, you are far, far more stupid than I could ever give you credit for. You're basing it on one still? You can tell absolutely nothing from that.

Watch the extended highlights from 5:35. There is no way anyone would've covered that and Buckley hardly deviated from a straight run. No way was he going towards the corner. You can use the straight line of the grass cutting when the camera zooms in on the replay around the 6 minute mark.

Sending off all day long.

I was there. Just how important do you think you are that anyone that disagrees with you is stupid. Were you near the incident and have you done a referee's course? Did the ref have extended highlights?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports