Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heard it all now...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yep, you're right. It would much easier for parents to research every facet of their child's allergy, then impart this knowledge to the child, than to have clear labelling on products.

Both would be the best scenario.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Due to the ignorance of some, labeling has to cater for the lowest common denominator. If one of my children suffered from an allergy I would be extensively read in the condition pretty quickly. Unfortunately many don't furnish themselves with even the basic knowledge.

Added to which all these allergies are on the increase especially in the middle classes due to the ever increasingly pampered, sanitised world they live in. The reaction schools etc have towards nuts will exasperate the situation.

Reading an interesting book than believes that allergies asthma some autism and adhd are all the result of the way we administer our immunisations. Too much at a time is the basic problem. The evidence is quite compelling so far.

Don't get me wrong the mental hyper cleanisiness also plays it's part.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Both would be the best scenario.

Which is the point I made. I worked as a h&s manager at Gatwick and some of the things you have to do are unbelievable to protect the safety of people and the company from being culpable. Reminds me of the Winnebago lawsuit in the States.

We do though need to look at the wider issue of the environment we are bringing our children into. It is now widely believed the lack of bad proteins our children are subjected to has led to their bodies being unable to deal with the good ones, hence the increase in nut allergies. This also applies to many other things. The immunity of young children are for more reliant on medical intervention than ever before. The sanitised environment we in West "benefit" from could come back to bite us.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Which is the point I made. I worked as a h&s manager at Gatwick and some of the things you have to do are unbelievable to protect the safety of people and the company from being culpable. Reminds me of the Winnebago lawsuit in the States.

Would that be the cruise control myth?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Would that be the cruise control myth?

Wasn't quite a myth but also not how it is now reported. There was never can incident but they were sued for lack of information.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
H&S is really important. It holds employers liable for safe working practices and helps stop people doing stupid thing that can/and do, kill them.

Make sure companies warn consumers about risks with their products, machines are maintained and guarded. They also prosecute companies for incidents like Bunsfield.

They really dont do it to stop fun.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
H&S is really important. It holds employers liable for safe working practices and helps stop people doing stupid thing that can/and do, kill them.

Make sure companies warn consumers about risks with their products, machines are maintained and guarded. They also prosecute companies for incidents like Bunsfield.

They really dont do it to stop fun.

Who said they did?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Who said they did?

Plenty of people refer to it as the 'Fun Police'. I am sure you know in your role, people do the stupidest things to get a job done quickly or others are pressured into 'just nip up onto that roof, I'll give you a leg up'. This Monkey Nut thing seems sensible, but as usual people try to have a dig at h&s.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Due to the ignorance of some, labeling has to cater for the lowest common denominator. If one of my children suffered from an allergy I would be extensively read in the condition pretty quickly. Unfortunately many don't furnish themselves with even the basic knowledge.

Added to which all these allergies are on the increase especially in the middle classes due to the ever increasingly pampered, sanitised world they live in. The reaction schools etc have towards nuts will exasperate the situation.

So by your reasoning, a child would be in danger because a parent is not a food expert and is somehow psychic to know what ingredients are in things. Read up on it as much as you like, the only way to find out for sure about the ingredients is the allergy information, obviously monkey nuts are obvious to most but not everyone as this thread shows.
Luckily(in a weird way) my son is allergic to all nuts so its reasonably easy to avoid them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here