Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Healthy Food

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010

Dhal is the best value, most nutritious meal there is, in my view.

Agreed and simple to make. Not sure how authentic the recipe I use is but its very straightforward which I've adapted to suit my own tastes:

Add all the following to a pot:

2 small red onions (diced)
100g of red lentils
1 red chilli (chopped)
125g of chopped tomatoes (I used tinned ones, which means you get about 3 batches from one tin!)
450ml of stock
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric

Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes and then add a sweet potato (diced) and cook until the potato is done. Then I turn off the heat, throw some spinach over the top and put a lid on the pot - the spinach wilts with the heat. Its usually best cooked the day before and can either be eaten cold or heated up and is good either as a side dish or as part of the main meal, maybe with brown rice or quinoa or maybe with a salad if you have it cold.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Healthy food is a good idea. Can I thoroughly recommend it. Fruit, veg, pulses, grains and other plant material are good

they are good, but better when pre-processed in to muscle protein. :thumbsup:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
When I've been at uni and cooking for myself, I have always justified seemingly stodgy dishes as healthy, so long as they're made from scratch with good quality ingredients. Things like omelettes, pasta bakes, lasagne, cottage pie and burgers.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agreed and simple to make. Not sure how authentic the recipe I use is but its very straightforward which I've adapted to suit my own tastes:

Add all the following to a pot:

2 small red onions (diced)
100g of red lentils
1 red chilli (chopped)
125g of chopped tomatoes (I used tinned ones, which means you get about 3 batches from one tin!)
450ml of stock
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric

Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes and then add a sweet potato (diced) and cook until the potato is done. Then I turn off the heat, throw some spinach over the top and put a lid on the pot - the spinach wilts with the heat. Its usually best cooked the day before and can either be eaten cold or heated up and is good either as a side dish or as part of the main meal, maybe with brown rice or quinoa or maybe with a salad if you have it cold.

I go with this recipe, and usually make enough that it feeds the both of us over two nights, usually paired with rice and another curry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tarkadal_90055

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How can you bake a jacket potato in under 10 mins?

My meal choice would have to go with some salmon, new potaotes and salad.

In a microwave....... (and if you're fussy, finish it off in the oven).

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Empty a tin of plum tomatoes into a pan and heat for 5 mins till hot, very healthy. For side dishes you can have snausages, bacon, mushrooms, fried eggs and fried bread.:bigwave:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I misread the initial post that a jacket potato could be cooked in the oven (not using microwave) in 10mins.

I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of anything!!! I hadn't read the original post properly either. Failed to notice he had said "microwave".

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
All of a sudden, I'm hungry..........damn you:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here